• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Theory or Therapy?

Lark

Does psychoanalysis have value as a theory rather than a therapy?

Does it have more value as a theory or more value as a therapy?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I might be completely reading this wrong. But doesn't the therapy aspect come from the theory? The more welll developped the theory is, the better therapy potentially becomes?

If you think about what is the greater force of good in the world it is therapy, but where would therapy be without theory? We'd still be extracting teeth for psychological issues if it wasn't for the improvement of the theory.

Both are intrinsical and important.

Lark

I might be completely reading this wrong. But doesn't the therapy aspect come from the theory? The more welll developped the theory is, the better therapy potentially becomes?

If you think about what is the greater force of good in the world it is therapy, but where would therapy be without theory? We'd still be extracting teeth for psychological issues if it wasn't for the improvement of the theory.

Both are intrinsical and important.

Though there are analysts, Otto Rank is the one which comes to mind the most, possibly Theodor Reik too, who spent more time on literary analysis and criticism than perfecting a "talking cure", if that makes sense.

There has been some interesting research on what is curative in therapy, sometimes generic listening, presence, stuff like that has prove as significant or more than specific schools of thought in interpretation, guidance etc.

Some of the different therapeutic schools of thought I think interest me as theories and theorising, they are better in description, or speculation sometimes, than they are in prescription. If you know what I mean.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To be considered healthy would be to be considered as a functioning member of the current society, whatever that society is. So I think with that as its mindset, there is a lack of objective authenticity about therapy in general. While theory isn't constrained by those biases.

It's not really an or kinda thing though. I feel it is good there is focus on both.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think helping yourself is always valuable if possible.