• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should employers be allowed to discriminate against fatties?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Should employers be allowed to discriminate. Discrimination in employment is probably more often done than otherwise. Employers see people and like them or dislike them based on first impressions after the resume/cv has been accepted through the cv checking period. That's human nature and won't be put off anytime soon. We can try to reduce it, but it's not such a simple matter. Employers will certainly look more at changeable matters too, like certain attitudes, clothing, hairstyle, posture, etc. Weight is possible to change but it's not easy and it takes a good deal of time. Some employers would see something to that, some won't, this can be a moralistic thought, but it can also be a thought of 'this is indicative of something' which is more about the intuitive presumption about the individual's abilities.

I've had my employment offers for jobs for which I was qualified for retracted merely because the people interviewing determined that I "didn't seem like a good fit."

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've had my employment offers for jobs for which I was qualified for retracted merely because the people interviewing determined that I "didn't seem like a good fit."
Yes, it really kind of sucks in a way. I'd think it'd be good if business had multiple interviews with different employers and determine whether to choose based on those, but most businesses would assume that's a hassle.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, it really kind of sucks in a way. I'd think it'd be good if business had multiple interviews with different employers and determine whether to choose based on those, but most businesses would assume that's a hassle.

I'd like to know what criteria they used to determine that I wasn't a good fit.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Luke O said:
So, "yes"?

Correct. I wouldn't want to work in a place run by a tyrant anyways and such a business probably wouldn't last long. That said, I want employers to have the freedom to fire people for the most trivial reasons because I believe personal liberty is more important that sparing someone's feelings.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Depends on the job. If the job description (wherever this job exists) requires someone to run up skyscraper staircases all day and they couldn't complete the task, then why hire them? There's a lot of labor jobs that require lifting or any physical mobility, and to a point they have to be discriminatory based on the tasks at hand. Where I work now there's no way we could hire someone bound to a wheelchair, as there is literally not enough space in the work area to occupy a wheelchair, or a morbidly obese person.

If I ran a small business, I wouldn't fire anyone if they were obese, but depending on the position I'm hiring for I'm less likely to choose someone who looks inactive to perform physical activities required for the job.

Codex

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yes. If your weight gets in the way of your ability to perform on par with your colleagues or you cost your employeers more to keep around than your other colleagues due to your weight.

Basically if your weight starts effecting those around you.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

aka their way of saying, "not outgoing enough or unwilling to stand at the water cooler and engage in pointless small talk."

The entire culture of the job application/hiring process is a massive joke.