• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Raphael Sanzio (Renaissance painter)

MBTI Type
INFP
I've always been somewhat intrigued by Raphael, particularly by the serenity that characterized his work as an acclaimed artist and easygoing nature contrasted with several of his artistic collegues during the tme period. Still, I've yet to see him typed on any of the MBTI sites I've visited, and I was wondering if you guys would do so here.

According to biographers, here is a bit of information that may be indicative of Raphael's personality throughout his lifetime:

1.) "As well as borrowing something of Michelangelo's understanding of human anatomy, he acquired Leonardo's simple, pyramidal formations, clever lighting, and emotional intimacy, as well as his sfumato technique of modeling forms with soft blending. From this he created a quietly serene art with enormous general appeal. In 1508 Raphael began his glittering career as a papal artist, after being summoned to Rome by Pope Julius II. Soon he had earned a formidable reputation and remained in Rome for the rest of his life."

(He was rather impressionable and acquired influences for his artwork in his environment, learning at a quick pace and mimicking the techniques of different people to perfect his own).

2.) "He quickly earned an enviable reputation–as both an artist and a handsome man with a charming personality– and produced work at a prodigious rate. Raphael was known to be, laid-back sweet-natured and agreeable--in fact, the opposite in temperament of his peer, Michelangelo. As Giorgio Vasari once said, "Raphael was so gentle and so charitable that even the animals loved him, not to speak of men."

(Raphael was regarded, according to biographers, as sweet-natured, gentle, and sensitive, with a tendency of being courteous to others and rarely losing his temper and angering.)

3.)"Vasari emphasises that Raphael ran a very harmonious and efficient workshop, and had extraordinary skill in smoothing over troubles and arguments with both patrons and his assistants—a contrast with the stormy pattern of Michelangelo's relationships with both. However though both Penni and Giulio were sufficiently skilled that distinguishing between their hands and that of Raphael himself is still sometimes difficult, there is no doubt that many of Raphael's later wall-paintings, and probably some of his easel paintings, are more notable for their design than their execution. Many of his portraits, if in good condition, show his brilliance in the detailed handling of paint right up to the end of his life."

(Raphael was reportedly a peacemaker who managed to run things smoothly and rarely found himself in altercation with others).

4.) "Craving pleasure as well as knowledge, Raphael Sanzio was quick to realize that his talent would only be truly appreciated in the liberal, carefree and extravagantly sensual atmosphere of Rome during its golden age under Julius II and Leo X. Yet, according to Vasari, Raphael was a very passionate man with a great love of women, and his premature death on Good Friday (April 6, 1520), which was possibly his 37th birthday, was caused by a night of excessive sex with Luti, after which he fell into a fever and, not telling his doctors that this was its cause, was given the wrong cure, which killed him.Vasari also says that Raphael had also been born on a Good Friday, which in 1483 fell on March 28."

It was also mentioned at one point that he became engaged to a woman he didn't necessarily love merely out of courteousness and the niceness of his nature, and that despite being an atheist he portrayed religious images to satisfy the standards of the time period, and was nearly persuaded into becoming a cardinal to please the pope.

Based on this information, what would you think his personality type would be? ISFP, maybe?

PrimrosePopinjay

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
On a socionics website (can't remember where) I saw Raphael labeled as an ENFJ, and I fully agree.

He was definitely an extrovert, as I once read that any time he was not doing art he was hopping from party to party. Additionally, he was supposedly a huge womanizer. The whole "party boy" image usually correlate with Se, so either ESXP or ENXJ. He was noted as being very sweet and graceful, making me think F- ESFP or ENFJ. His life seems to have been very structured, especially in his many appointments. Finally, from what I read about him I see many examples of Fe while very little, if any, Fi use (all about social connection, networking, not moody/temperamental, womanizing despite being an "artist of the church), etc.) - My verdict is ENFJ, but I could be completely wrong...^_^

As for an ISFP artist of that time, I believe Giorgione was one.

PS- did you do the drawing in your avatar-thing? It's so beautiful!! :happy2:

Whatismyusername?

Raphael strikes me as more of an Fi driven character from what I've read of him, along with some Si with his love of the past and the detailed mechanics of anatomy (much like Da Vinci, another Si user). Ne can be a hedonistic function just as much as Se, especially in the more romantic and dreamy sort that Raphael seemed to possess.

I would venture a guess at some sort of XNFP.