• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Good Source of Dry, Historic Factoids?

Passacaglia

I'm writing a research paper that involves the Roman Empire during the late 4th century, and I'm looking for confirmation or refutation of a particular 'decree of death' against the Manichaeans that Wikipedia mentions. Because, ya know, Wikipedia. :dry:

I'm not interested in long analyses of anything, because this is just part of a side-point in my paper. It'd be great to find a simple, dry list of decrees/edicts passed during that period, although a brief explanation of what exactly a 'decree of death' means would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
PM moridin, he's the best history buff I know. Though expect him to refer you to Rome or some other such place originally. He is a bit of a Rome enthusiast though.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm writing a research paper that involves the Roman Empire during the late 4th century, and I'm looking for confirmation or refutation of a particular 'decree of death' against the Manichaeans that Wikipedia mentions. Because, ya know, Wikipedia. :dry:

I'm not interested in long analyses of anything, because this is just part of a side-point in my paper. It'd be great to find a simple, dry list of decrees/edicts passed during that period, although a brief explanation of what exactly a 'decree of death' means would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Here's some tidbits.

Manichaeism - Crystalinks

Here is more, specifically about Manichaeism in the Roman Empire, but less tidbitty.

http://www.constantinethegreatcoins...fusion_of_Manichaeism_in_the_Roman_Empire.pdf

Passacaglia

So my search has eventually led me to the Codex Theodosianus; a compilation of Roman laws from Emperor Constantine's in 313 to Emperor Theodosius II's laws in 438. My school's library happens to have a copy, so I am right now looking at what can best be described as a tome of very dry Roman factoids. This book is just one translation removed from the original text...I feel like Robert Langdon, or Gandalf in the Minas Tirith archives! /nerd

Anyhow, it turns out that 'decree of death' isn't quite as ominous as Wikipedia makes it sound. It's far from benign though; basically it was part of the centuries-long Roman emperor campaign to make life as difficult as possible for anyone who wasn't Catholic. So if you were a Manichee or any non-Catholic and you were as paranoid as the worst of religious folks today can be...your paranoia would have actually been justified. :(