• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[article] The Truth About Elvis and the History of Racism in Rock

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wasn't sure if this belonged in the Politics or Arts & Entertainment sub-forum.

Just an interesting article touching on cultural appropriation, privilege, etc. I had seen the allegations of Elvis' racism. However, based on what I knew of him and his reverence for black music and culture, I always thought it was more complicated than that, that some of those allegations were either exaggerated or misdirected. I think it's more fair to say that Elvis was a white dude (or melungeon, possibly?) who loved the culture and music, yet whose own privilege and skin tone allowed him to go further than most black rockers of the time could ever hope. Yes, it was taken and watered down for a white audience, no Elvis was probably not a raging bigot. Clapton, however, has and always will be a giant douche nozzle :laugh: I do admit when I read quotes from someone like McCartney saying "all our favorite people were always black," it smacks a bit of "hey, I've got black friends!"

The Truth About Elvis and the History of Racism in Rock