• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFs and Interviews

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
I think INFJs don't really see why we "should" sell ourselves. It's an unnatural thing for us to do. Not a horse trotted out to be put through its paces. Interview skills for us must be consciously learned the hard way.

I think the only time I've ever done well on an "actual" interview was the time when I knew I'm the best one they had for that job. *shakes head*

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess this is not so much NF then than EP-IJ differences highlighted? My ISTJ friend does well in interviews and she gets a lot of added responsibility/respect at work. But I think it's also the line of work (paralegal, administrative etc.) and kinds of places (governmental, legal, academic) that syncs up with her interview style and strengths.

I think in general for interviews from the responses to far:

EP helps - you're extroverted and you're good on the post. I have to say, I honestly feel 'in my element' in interview situations. I'm also attracted to theater sports/improv sketch comedy, I like having to rise to the occassion. *Edit* You enjoy putting on a show, don't mind being center of attention, and even enjoy 'selling yourself'.

I(NF)J - Just feel nervous and out of your element? *Edit* You feel fake when you feel someone is imposing the need to 'sell yourself'. You feel 'selling yourself' has unseemly overtones and is...undignified?

Well articulated CzeCze
which supplements the IJ+EP compatibility theory
one is the poster child = outgoing, quick-witted, urbane
and the other the grounding force = notices details, thorough, serious-minded

valid ?

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
I just pulled this off a listserv for library students:

Resume Writing and Interviewing Techniques that Work by Robert R. Newlen

Good luck!

Jae Rae

Last edited:

chris1207

MBTI Type
XNXX
Enneagram
3w2
The only job I didn't get through an interview was a Resident Adviser job for the dorms back in college. Basically, I would've been working with people living in the dorms trying to help them solve their problems. They totally acted like I wasn't the person for the job but I know I was! I'm a fucking ENFJ, working with people is what I do!

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I(NF)J - Just feel nervous and out of your element? *Edit* You feel fake when you feel someone is imposing the need to 'sell yourself'. You feel 'selling yourself' has unseemly overtones and is...undignified?

That sounds about right. I feel like selling myself is being arrogant. I was thinking a little bit more about this and I think the biological approach to introversion sheds some light on this. In the bio approach extraverts are more sensitive to rewards, so when they accomplish something they are more likely to brag about it. In fact, studies have shown that extraverts are more willing to participate in activities that offer some sort of reward or prize. Introverts have little sensitivity to rewards, so even when they obtain something they worked hard for they seem to not have as much satisfaction as an extravert would.
So basically, interviews require me to brag about accomplishments I have made while these accomplishments didn't seem like a big deal to me. I feel like bragging is a bad quality in a person, or at least an annoying one. I have noticed throughout my life that just because someone is accomplished doesn't really say anything about them except that they possess high achievement motivation. That leaves so many variables blank. Then again, look where my inability to brag has put me. When my mom (ESFJ) tries to coach me I always feel like I sound fake and desperate.

The only job I didn't get through an interview was a Resident Adviser job for the dorms back in college. Basically, I would've been working with people living in the dorms trying to help them solve their problems. They totally acted like I wasn't the person for the job but I know I was! I'm a fucking ENFJ, working with people is what I do!

We have 2 ENFJs on our staff and they are probably two of the best RAs we have. I'm sure they don't know what they are missing out on!

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I do fine with interviews. I restrict myself of talking too much. I try to figure out what the interviewer is trying to see and I answer quite precisely to the questions. I'm not trying to hide my personality but I try to control it from going off topic.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I do fine with interviews. I restrict myself of talking too much. I try to figure out what the interviewer is trying to see and I answer quite precisely to the questions. I'm not trying to hide my personality but I try to control it from going off topic.

Not trying to give too strong of an impression is always a good idea.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I just read a book on MBT types and why NTs make more money than NFs -- INFJ/ENFP/INFP, etc. basically the book said NT's expect and even demand fair compensation which means money whereas NF's avoid such conversations or find them unseemly or will even leave a job rather than demand a raise.

Just something to think about.

That's also a contributing factor people have cited as to the gender disparity in pay -- that men are more likely to ask for raises and negotiate salaries whereas women are more likely to accept what they are given and not bring the subject of raises up.

Even though it made me uncomfortable, I made myself try to renegotiate my starting salary and I would ask for 10-20% more than I expected at job interviews. It works. Or at least it does not hurt.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
"Selling yourself" is such a silly and unhelpful phrase when it comes to interviewers.

I long ago quit selling myself at interviews and just set about to make the interviewer comfortable. It can't be particularly pleasant to talk to strangers and ask them questions knowing that they're nervous and probably view you as a judge. It's an unnatural and uncomfortable situtaion for everyone. So I gave up trying to make myself look good and started concentrating on making the other person feel good. What can I do to make them feel comfortable with me? How can I adjust my words or attitude to fit with theirs? How can I respond to them in a way that puts them at ease? How can I affirm them and invite them to be comfortable in this role as interviewer and employer?

They're concerned that hiring me may not be a good move. I just do what I can to put them at their ease and help them feel good about hiring me (because I usually already think I'd be great at the job). Or, if I don't quite know yet whether I'd be good at the job, I approach it as though we two are trying to make a decision about what would be best for them and for me: honest and open and friendly with direct communication is key. No selling, just helping each other reach a mutually beneficial solution. What could be more pleasant than that?

I don't relish interviews, but I don't usually mind them. They're somewhat enjoyable because you get to meet new people and talk to them.