• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flip phones: 2018

Apple bricked my old 5S (7 good, long years) for using a Chinese eBay screen, so I'm on the look out for a new phone. Looking into a dumb phone because a lot of the features on the smartphone went unused. I don't FB or tweet, IG or snapchat. I just need something that'll: text, talk, Bluetooth, audiobooks, and a decent camera. The audiobooks feature probably wouldn't be on a flip phone, so it's not very important. I'll just get an iPod touch for that.

What's good out there? Are Alcatels any good? Anyone else using a flip phone on here?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I still use one. I just use the Samsung one they sell in verizon stores, I'm not picky nor one to spend time researching, it does the trick for me. :) I only text and talk, though, and the camera is pretty bad (I mean, I'm fine with the pics for what they are, just non-sharp very mediocre kinda crappy pics, but they capture what i take a pic of, are ok for obviously-taken-by-a-phone people shots, and I don't have any expectations of a great pic; I have a camera for those).

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Transportation apps are all that stop me from getting one, and maybe banking apps.

Lark

I miss the variety of phones there used to be, flip, clam, swivel, slide, fold, there sure were a bunch.

The only sorts I know now are android or burner phones with no internet, blue tooth, headphones port, anything like that, some of them dont even have cameras. I can think of environments in which those would be a great idea.

The android one I have has an option for multiple sim cards and switching between different sims. I could see how that would be a good idea but I've not used the feature. Separate phones for separate purposes is something I like for security.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a "flip phone," and refuse to be shamed for it.

Here's the LG Octane:

61JlCO34gFL._SX679_.jpg

I've had it since late 2011, and as it's stayed intact after all these years (though looking a bit scratched), I'd recommend it. You can send and receive gifs and picture texts with it. But if someone texts you with emoji(s), you're just gonna get a bunch of blocks.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Here's the LG Octane:

61JlCO34gFL._SX679_.jpg

I've had it since late 2011, and as it's stayed intact after all these years (though looking a bit scratched), I'd recommend it. You can send and receive gifs and picture texts with it. But if someone texts you with emoji(s), you're just gonna get a bunch of blocks.

I had this phone for about 3 years, I was really happy with it.

Permabanned

Here's the LG Octane:

61JlCO34gFL._SX679_.jpg

but can it run crysis

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but can it run crysis

Had to look that one up; I'm not a gamer.

My view is that if you're really into gaming, get a console and/or computer. The thought of app-based games, on a small screen like that of an iPhone, isn't appealing, and it also might distract you in a dangerous way when doing something in public. The Pokemon Go craze for example...I think a few people got killed when they walked onto oncoming traffic.