• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is the universe dying?

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
The universe doesn't "die". It changes and reforms itself.

Mole

Permabanned
Was that fake news?

In 1840, about the middle of the 19th century, the electric telegraph killed the book. And as we worshipped the God of the Book, the God of the Book was killed by the electric telegraph.

The electric telegraph has gone on from strength to strength, onto the telephone, onto the radio, onto the television, and the internet, while the book has been relegated to the content of the internet.

And just as we make out tools and our tools make us, our tools make and unmake our Gods.

And we are no longer authentic literate individuals, we now play electronic roles. For instance, I play the electronic role of Mole from Wind in the Willows.

Is this news to you?

wool

Permabanned
In 1840, about the middle of the 19th century, the electric telegraph killed the book. And as we worshipped the God of the Book, the God of the Book was killed by the electric telegraph.

The electric telegraph has gone on from strength to strength, onto the telephone, onto the radio, onto the television, and the internet, while the book has been relegated to the content of the internet.

And just as we make out tools and our tools make us, our tools make and unmake our Gods.

And we are no longer authentic literate individuals, we now play electronic roles. For instance, I play the electronic role of Mole from Wind in the Willows.

Is this news to you?

Do you know what the first message sent by telegraph was?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is going to sound new age and all and probably off topic in a definitional sense:

But we must all accept change, it is within the nature of the universe and the only thing that is constant.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The human mortality conundrum continues. :yay:

Always. Observe the predictive quality of this 'poem' by Marcia Lee Anderson. It's practically a scientific formula really.

We multiply diseases for delight,
invent a shameful want, a horrid doubt,
luxuriate in license, feed on night,
make inward bedlam — and will not come out
Why should we? Stripped of subtle complication,
who could regard the sun except with fear?
This is our shelter against contemplation,
our only refuge from the plain and clear.
Who would crawl out from under the obscure
to stand defenseless in the sunny air?
No terror of obliquity so sure
as the most shining terror of despair
to know how simple is our deepest need,
how sharp, and how impossible to feed.

Stare into the sun [MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION]. Don't look away.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All good things must come to an end ... then begin again.

Kinda like upgrading from windows 7 to windows 8 ... only cosmic

I'll be long dead, in any case. It is of zero consequence to me.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Always. Observe the predictive quality of this 'poem' by Marcia Lee Anderson. It's practically a scientific formula really.

We multiply diseases for delight,
invent a shameful want, a horrid doubt,
luxuriate in license, feed on night,
make inward bedlam — and will not come out
Why should we? Stripped of subtle complication,
who could regard the sun except with fear?
This is our shelter against contemplation,
our only refuge from the plain and clear.
Who would crawl out from under the obscure
to stand defenseless in the sunny air?
No terror of obliquity so sure
as the most shining terror of despair
to know how simple is our deepest need,
how sharp, and how impossible to feed.

Stare into the sun [MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION]. Don't look away.

I may just become one who rises with the dawn to drink in the sun.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I may just become one who rises with the dawn to drink in the sun.

I commissioned a silversmith in Mexico to make me a custom ring made of silver. On it, half of an Imperial Japanese rising sun because I'm PC like that :newwink: Cost me $300 but was worth it. I used it as a trigger to spark a memory and thoughts which I'd use to reframe my mind. This was often done from the roof of the condos (at some point during my workout) I lived in at the time and often during the morning sun rise. A glance, some inner dialogue, a deep breath of crisp fresh morning air, "Ah what a good day to be alive, maybe today is the day I die? Best make the most of it then."

Nothing focuses you like Staring At the Sun [MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION]

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It sounds like they don't even know what the hell they're talking about.

oh well, might as well just get drunk.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What really bothers me is how scientists take it as though they know everything for certain and it's that at times which kind of irks me a little.

If they know things like this for certain why do so many of them have trouble agreeing with anything?

Mole

Permabanned
We know the whole universe is expanding away from us at an accelerating rate, and we know that matter can't go faster than the speed of light, and we also know that the universe of space and time can go faster than the speed of light.

And we also know that everything in the universe will be moving away from us at faster than the speed of light and so will be invisible to us. This will take many billions of years, in the meantime we are large celled animals and we have a relatively short evolutionary life span, so the life span of homo sapiens is measured at best in only millions years, so we won't be here to see the universe disappear. Unless of course we are dinning at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel like they might as well say that the universe is a contradiction of itself then, and everything that "is" "isn't" just as equally, as if the universe works in perfect harmony that it doesn't.

indra

is
MBTI Type
jedi
Enneagram
I read today that in the Hawaiian mythos of creation the octopus is the only survivor of our last universe's iteration.

Which explains my relation with the number eight.