• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Scientists reverse aging in human cell lines

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150526085138.htm

Scientists reverse aging in human cell lines and give theory of aging a new lease of life

Date:
May 26, 2015
Source:
University of Tsukuba
Summary:
Can the process of aging be delayed or even reversed? Research has shown that, in human cell lines at least, it can. They also found that the regulation of two genes involved with the production of glycine, the smallest and simplest amino acid, is partly responsible for some of the characteristics of aging.

Immortality...Soon...Soon...Mwahahaha

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
World overpopulation and death by resource scarcity, bwa ha ha ha!

That was my first thought! Though mine was also filled with violent murder, structural collapse, and total anarchy-cuz of the scarcity...(and green puss filled zombies, idk)

But we will see, maybe one day humanity will find a means of immortality and will develop the capabilities to expand into the infinities of the galaxies. That's a bit far (away/fetched) though.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
World overpopulation and death by resource scarcity, bwa ha ha ha!

You're assuming everything else will stay the same. The way technological progress is accelerating, I don't think resources will be that big of an issue.

Also, the fact that aging stops doesn't necessarily mean population will grow quite as quickly as one might think. Some people won't even want this. And for those who will, some of them won't want kids just like some people don't want kids now. Those who will want them might decide to have one when they're 1000 years old, not when they're 30 (or whatever).

We can already see what a longer lifespan actually brings in the case of Europe. The longer lifespans are here, the fewer kids are being born. In some countries, it's actually a low birth rate that's the problem.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This will be a service only the rich can afford. Joan Rivers would've been happy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're assuming everything else will stay the same. The way technological progress is accelerating, I don't think resources will be that big of an issue.

How so? We still have issues with resources even now.

Also, the fact that aging stops doesn't necessarily mean population will grow quite as quickly as one might think. Some people won't even want this. And for those who will, some of them won't want kids just like some people don't want kids now. Those who will want them might decide to have one when they're 1000 years old, not when they're 30 (or whatever).

We can already see what a longer lifespan actually brings in the case of Europe. The longer lifespans are here, the fewer kids are being born. In some countries, it's actually a low birth rate that's the problem.

Give it time.

The world's resources are also non-uniformly distributed, including space and usable water, etc.

To be honest, I see this as technology that will only belong to the rich or the favored. It will be controlled, because to remain young is a form of power, and power is always exploited. EDIT: Starcrash seems to agree.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
To be honest, I see this as technology that will only belong to the rich or the favored. It will be controlled, because to remain young is a form is power, and power is always exploited. EDIT: Starcrash seems to agree.

This is my optimistic take on it.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Great news. Imagine what Da Vinci or Einstein could've accomplished had they had another century or so to work.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Obviously, we will figure out how to inhabit other planets. Obviously. So much obviousness here. It's only a matter of time. Obviously!!!

:coffee: