• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ISTP's in popular culture

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Not all of us were teens/young adults in the 80s. No mention of any Clint Eastwood characters on here either.

Clint Eastwood playing Blondie is the most ISTP thing in this Universe

kpisLkP.jpg

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Melinda May from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seems like an ISTP. Although Ming-Na Wen is definitely not.

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Clint Eastwood playing Blondie is the most ISTP thing in this Universe

kpisLkP.jpg
A rare kind of ISTP with maxed badassness. I have to get rid of my bosses to converge towards this...

Some more characters:
- Batman (Christopher Nolan's)
- John Wick

Gabe_2

Let's not get carried away with the "badass" cliche. These type-related caricatures can really get in the way...

For example, for ISTP, I would probably include Michael Westin from Burn Notice. But I would also include Dustin Hoffman's character in Tootsie. One character is what you would call a 'badass', the other is a cross-dressing actor.

Myshkin14

MBTI Type
INFJ
Aragorn is INFJ in the same way that the recent Batman is an INFJ. As an INFJ myself, the ISTP persona is definitely there. But it is taken on reluctantly out of a sense of ideals and duty to fellow man. Contrasted with a Dirty Harry who is a more deliberate vigilante type seeking not so much a higher ideal or duty, but rather a disgust of scummy people in general. When it comes to the 'bad-ass' as reluctant hero as opposed to the 'bad-ass' as naturally so and okay with that, INFJ and ISTP can easily be confused.

Myshkin14

MBTI Type
INFJ
I would add to the ISTP list Steve McQueen's character in the movie "Bullitt". That movie is a masterpiece, and is considered to have the best car chase scene in the history of movies.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Aragorn is INFJ in the same way that the recent Batman is an INFJ. As an INFJ myself, the ISTP persona is definitely there. But it is taken on reluctantly out of a sense of ideals and duty to fellow man. Contrasted with a Dirty Harry who is a more deliberate vigilante type seeking not so much a higher ideal or duty, but rather a disgust of scummy people in general. When it comes to the 'bad-ass' as reluctant hero as opposed to the 'bad-ass' as naturally so and okay with that, INFJ and ISTP can easily be confused.

No... they really can't. I guess you confuse them, but if we're going to think logically here the ISTP and the INFJ are two completely different types. Also, ISTPs are completely capable of having idealistic or dutiful intentions. You seem to think all ISTPs are mean and grouchy.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
I could mention many, but none are a finer example than the character Mookie from the 1989 urban epic Do the Right Thing. ISTP to the core that one was.

Axwell

MBTI Type
IXTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Every action movie hero ever = ISTP.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Daru (Steins;Gate)
Travis (Taxi Driver)
Alex (Orange Is The New Black)
Kalinda (The Good wife)
The Engineer (Meet the Engineer - TF2)

Hell no I take issue with Travis Bickle as ISTP. He was obviously a very spacey head in the clouds uber intuitive type. Most likely a schizoid INFJ. INXP is also plausible though I would lean heavily toward F. I know the film very well, it is a gem to me really.

rmrf

Hell no I take issue with Travis Bickle as ISTP. He was obviously a very spacey head in the clouds uber intuitive type. Most likely a schizoid INFJ. INXP is also plausible though I would lean heavily toward F. I know the film very well, it is a gem to me really.

Thoughts on typing him INFP in Fi/Si loop. My original opinion was ISTP, who gets into a Ti/Ni loop where his low functioning Ni starts pushing him further and further from reality. In the Ti/Ni loop he starts seeing the whole world as corrupt and broken with strong confirmation biases

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Thoughts on typing him INFP in Fi/Si loop. My original opinion was ISTP, who gets into a Ti/Ni loop where his low functioning Ni starts pushing him further and further from reality. In the Ti/Ni loop he starts seeing the whole world as corrupt and broken with strong confirmation biases

Or maybe Ni was his dominant function? They...can't...touch...her.

Hannah Strachan

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Stephen Dorff's character in the movie 'Somewhere' is one of the best fictional ISTPs I've seen.

Myshkin14

MBTI Type
INFJ
No... they really can't. I guess you confuse them, but if we're going to think logically here the ISTP and the INFJ are two completely different types. Also, ISTPs are completely capable of having idealistic or dutiful intentions. You seem to think all ISTPs are mean and grouchy.

Nope, I don't think all ISTP types are mean and grouchy. My post was referring to movie characters, not actual human beings.

Jet Stream

Permabanned
MBTI Type
istp
Enneagram
gvf
Just remembered a good one: Doyle from Sling Blade lol. The quintessential redneck ISTP brute.

bilbotook

just some guy
MBTI Type
INFP
Nope, I don't think all ISTP types are mean and grouchy. My post was referring to movie characters, not actual human beings.

Well, some fictional characters are good realistic interpretations of real ISTPs, such as Aragorn, Daredevil, and Mr. Incredible.

Alya

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe Daryl Dixon from The Walking Dead? A lot of people type him as an ESTP, but I don't see him as an Extrovert, he is just like me and everybody seems to think here that I'm propably an ISTP, or ESTP, but I procrastinate a lot for an ESTP, except if I need to do something, then I don't stop until I'm exhausted. But if I'd see myself in an enviroment like that of TWD, I really think that I'd be just like him (but I'm a girl and I don't have a crossbow :smile:, but btw I can use a bow and a sword).