• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is love the answer to the world's problems?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Quote:
"Reason, ruling alone, is a force confining; and passion, unattended, is a flame that burns to its own destruction." Kahlil Gibran

'The importance of balance between the heart and the mind'

"Good friends I at certain instances have run into people that feel love is an answer and that if we can reach the state of pure love this world will change. Love is of absolute certitude as well a component to actualize. I call the love mix with reason shall eventually lead toward wisdom and truer free soul. My own thought on love and reason here is as thus, I believe in a duality. I can see how love can be perceived to solve all the world’s problems. How we should love one another and give of our hearts. We are interrelated but also a self-serving species. I agree pure love would be a wonderful thing. We as humans are inherently fallible. That is why we use the term love and have committed many atrocities. Did the American people of the old west possess love and yet all manner of atrocity was perpetrated on the Native American people.

Did not some Germans capable of loving their families and yet the holocaust occurred. People in the USA have love yet wildlife is killed and slaughterhouses remain to feed our tables. Because we are fallible we can not use the term love adequately without the risk of blind spots, rationalization and denial. It is only when Agape compassion is paired with critical thinking skills that we can trust our judgment and hope we live up to the term of love for ourselves, others and all life forms.Wisdom has to come into the fray. Without a balance therein lays chaos.

For those who think love is the answer and the only answer we evidently have problems in this country. Agape love has to be balanced with Reason. I've always been a proponent of strengthening Agape compassion with empathy skills training as well strengthening our critical use of reason. One without the other is crippled. Too much evil has been done in the name of love. This is because of blind spots, emotional reasoning, denial and rationalization. A mindful approach is to be aware of our sub-conscious thinking and rooting out distortions of thought can help alleviate this. This is a taught skill. There's no two ways about it. Think of mental discipline as akin to the martial arts. Our brain is a muscle that must be taught how to use critical reasoning. It is a learned discipline. It is not innate. Those that don't embrace changes with the introduction of cognitive discipline and empathy skills being presented to our young are resistant to change.

They don't know that if the changes were developed it would become the norm and we would have a healthier society mental health wise as well as happier. We can not rely on our own opinion for we are blinded by blind spots. We don't have a 3D greater picture of society. As said before love is corrupted by emotional reasoning, rationalizations and denial among other cognitive discrepancies. All manner of evil has been done in the name of love and good intentions.

It is evident there are many dysfunctional families that blithely go on their way due to blind spots and rationalization. If one is not taught critical thinking skills then we rely on rote memorization of facts and taught knowledge from schooling without the wisdom that comes from within to truly incorporate 'Universal Wisdom' into our consciousness and truly live it. Absolute, and much needed skills of reasoning must need be taught. There is a need for critical thinking to be taught with a minimum of distortions of thought.

Hence my penchant for an educational system teaching both the mind (Critical thinking and reason) and heart (empathy skills). being given far more priority. A new paradigm change of how we are taught as children One must absolutely be able of a persuasion to think independently as well in a creative fashion. It's a problem. I possess an analogy, we have the seed within to fully evolve if not distorted and be unduly pressured in a way of thinking that is not natural for the individual.

It is such a belief I do have that parents are custodians, not tyrants and impose their reality unto a child. Now an outside the box thinking thought I possess. We are like some computer software; we are only able to have a thinking capacity of the data entered into our self. True wisdom is not ingrained in us because we are not taught to think independently through the use of reason and critical thinking so we don't walk the talk we preach. As for spending money on education it is taking proactive steps so that citizens can govern themselves with innate reason and compassion.

It will raise a more well adjusted and happier society. I ask what can we do to evolve as a society? Remain with the status quo? Each generation contributes to these alarming statistics with us blindly as ostriches having our head in the sand not prepared to make real changes. It starts with children and education. The main problem with education is it forces regurgitation and rote memorization. It does not exist to teach critical thinking skills and how to independently think. If we as a society could think without the use of distortions in the thought process I would see it apparent in society at large.

I see in the media, on Facebook and the political arena the use of cognitive distortions in thought, speech and writing. How have we handled the societies problems. We blame individuals for not living up to societies standards. Never mind that the child did not receive enough of the 40 developmental assets as a child to succeed. We have relied on the family or religion to help a society. I've generally said that some religions teach you what to do but not how to practically apply it. There are faith practices who say they believe in this or that but as a human being still are susceptible to blind spots, rationalization, denial and other defense mechanisms.

That is a reason I've espoused to learn cognitive mindfulness and empathy in our education system. "Tell me what to do and I shall forget it but let me have hands on experience and incorporate it into my repertoire and it becomes a part of me." This is lasting and people will finally walk their talk for true wisdom comes from within and cannot be transferred by mere word repetition. We as a society have failed our children by not putting more emphasis on children and introducing into education empathy skills and cognitive mindfulness classes."

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldenDawn

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
OK. So I agree that empathic and logical training should be at the forefront of education, as well as creative exercise and communication skills. My idea is that these should form the foundation of education and subjects should be taught to compliment them. With this people will be better poised to embark on university endeavours or do a very good job otherwise in society.

Something to reiterate.

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No.

Conflict and the need to overcome it are things that pave way for growth.