User Tag List

123 Last

Default What do we live or die FOR?

In some parts of the world it is necessary to know what (if anything) one would die for. In other parts it's more of an intellectual exercise...

But, it seems that while sometimes people focus on what they would die for, it can be more practically challenging to LIVE for things. To make simple life adjustments or stand strong/apart for things in day-to-day existence.

Do you know what you would die or what you live for? Do you think it matters? Do you think children are capable of deciding such things or adult reasoning is required?
    Likes Babybop, JAVO liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

We live to reproduce and pass on our genes. Translated to layman's terms, sex and babies.

By contrast we don't die for anything. We just die.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, SpankyMcFly liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I live because I was born and I'm still here because it's preferable to not being here. If I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know what I was missing so I wouldn't regret it (nor could I, since I wouldn't exist). But I was born, and now I do know what "living" is, so now it would be too hard to give that up.

Lots of people have a purpose to their life. Family, career, intellectual or artistic goals. I don't have any. I just live because I'm already here. That doesn't bother me.

I don't know what I'd die for. I suck at standing up for myself so I don't think I can say I'd die for the things I believe in. I know I would die for my best friend. I think that's about the only thing I can say for certain.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    We live to reproduce and pass on our genes. Translated to layman's terms, sex and babies.

By contrast we don't die for anything. We just die.
    I am not sure if this is a difference in semantics or philosophy @Kullervo. I have known people (family even) to die for or 'due to' not relinquishing principles.

Quote Originally Posted by 21lux View Post
    I live because I was born and I'm still here because it's preferable to not being here. If I hadn't been born, I wouldn't know what I was missing so I wouldn't regret it (nor could I, since I wouldn't exist). But I was born, and now I do know what "living" is, so now it would be too hard to give that up.

Lots of people have a purpose to their life. Family, career, intellectual or artistic goals. I don't have any. I just live because I'm already here. That doesn't bother me.

I don't know what I'd die for. I suck at standing up for myself so I don't think I can say I'd die for the things I believe in. I know I would die for my best friend. I think that's about the only thing I can say for certain.
    I can't relate to living without purpose but I find it beyond fascinating @21lux. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I can only hope to have friends such as you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Perhaps if we live for something, we also die for it. You love something so much that you sacrifice yourself everyday for it. You give up your life over to it. Maybe

MBTI
    beep
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I used to have a lot of focus on having something to live for. I've always needed a purpose in life, something that would make all the challenges and depression worthwhile. It was usually a person, or a group with a person at the center. I was very strongly attracted to dominant/submissive relationships for this reason, because I needed someone or something to whom/which I could swear my loyalty. I'd live for my dominant significant other, and if you'd asked me back then, I absolutely would have said I'd take a bullet to save their life. I've also been attracted to formal hierarchy in the past (traditional martial arts classes, for example) for the same reason.

Right now, I don't know what I live for or what I would die for, and the more I think about that, the more it terrifies me. I feel as if I'm drifting into a void of meaninglessness.
    Previous username: EliaBlack

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A None

Live for dieing. Die from living.
    "Advance, and never halt, for advancing is perfection. Advance and do not fear the thorns in the path, for they draw only corrupt blood."
    -Kahlil Gibran

What are you waiting for?
    Johari
    Nohari

MBTI
    ????
    Enneagram
    697 sp

I know some people who definitely live for excitement, but would also die for excitement

I live in order to learn and leave a mark, and would die for my family (I hope I don't have to, but I would if it came to it).