• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sensor's approach to sport

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So how do SJs and SPs differ when it comes to sports?

I imagine SJs being more methodical, practising over and over again making slight adjustments in technique, and perhaps more likely to play to a pattern.

Whereas perhaps SPs are more instinctual and adaptive in their approach, reacting to things that happen in the moment and not afraid to throw out the rule book.

Of course a sensor sportsperson will take both approaches but maybe they have a preference for one style?

Some examples of SJ and SP sportspeople with contrasting styles would be cool (if people can think of them).

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I imagine SJs being more methodical, practising over and over again making slight adjustments in technique, and perhaps more likely to play to a pattern.

Whereas perhaps SPs are more instinctual and adaptive in their approach, reacting to things that happen in the moment and not afraid to throw out the rule book.

Of course a sensor sportsperson will take both approaches but maybe they have a preference for one style?

Some examples of SJ and SP sportspeople with contrasting styles would be cool (if people can think of them).

We played kamakaze basketball. No rules, just get the ball in the net. I prefer active things that are less team and rule based. Like martial arts, we have a team mentality in practice, but we are ultimatley on our own. I need to take my own path and not affect the team. So its a split team/personal sport. I would like to do break dancing, again team work with being able to follow your own path.

wolfy

awsm
I would guess SJ would be more attracted to team sports and SP to individual sports in general.

I think all good sports people are methodical in their approach to practice. I think an SP wants to take an instinctual approach to practice but for the most part that is detrimental to long term success.

The difference is probably most apparent in the way they play. Carlos Spencer's style of play versus I don't know...Chris Jack? Or NZ and England's style of play overall.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
The difference is probably most apparent in the way they play. Carlos Spencer's style of play versus I don't know...Chris Jack? Or NZ and England's style of play overall.

Carlos Spencer (SP) Vs. Johnny Wilkinson (SJ) perhaps?

Wilkinson plays/played a more traditional style and did the basics with precision but did seem limited and predictable at times. Whereas Spencer was/is more creative, with a much wider range of skills but lacking in precision. During the game Wilkinson imposed his pattern and Spencer broke them down.

wolfy

awsm
Carlos Spencer (SP) Vs. Johnny Wilkinson (SJ) perhaps?

Wilkinson plays/played a more traditional style and did the basics with precision but did seem limited and predictable at times. Whereas Spencer was/is more creative, with a much wider range of skills but lacking in precision. During the game Wilkinson imposed his pattern and Spencer broke them down.

I think that is a good example. I love it how Carlos Spencer annoyed the old rugby crowd with his play a lot. Such a showman.

KDude

I don't mind either team or individual sports. I don't care as much though for impromptu games where people are just making up rules though. I wouldn't know what to do with myself in poki's kamikaze basketball. I'd either go too far or too little. Heh. I'd insist on "standard" basketball - and hopefully, win within that ruleset. I'm not so rule breaking that I don't like a typical baseball or basketball game. There's a kind of beauty to all of them, and I like to know who's better within the structure of some sports. More fun that way.

Other than that, I'm probably more on the performer side of things. I get more stoked if winning from my own improvisation. My favorite moments are when I surprised even myself and pulled off something as I was just doing it. And if I fail, I just try something else. Never one to have any ultimate method or approach to begin with.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Yes, this sounds right. I think the sports world favors SPs over SJs. The list of outstanding SP athletes is longer than the SJ list. So much of sports is being able to react to things that happen in the moment, as you stated above for the SPs.

I would guess SJ would be more attracted to team sports and SP to individual sports in general.

I think all good sports people are methodical in their approach to practice. I think an SP wants to take an instinctual approach to practice but for the most part that is detrimental to long term success.

I think team sports is more of an E/I thing.

Key to success I think is being methodical and highly self-disciplined when practicing yet being prepared to react to the unexpected and improvise when actually playing the game.

gromit

likes this
Key to success I think is being methodical and highly self-disciplined when practicing yet being prepared to react to the unexpected and improvise when actually playing the game.
Perhaps with life in general, no?

KDude

I'm gonna disagree on the team thing being an I/E. "Team Spirit" would more than likely be E, but they're just games. Some games can't be played without teams. An I might be attracted to the activity, but be more lowkey within the team dynamic. I think if someone doesn't like even playing with others though it's not type related.