• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do We Need A Financial Advisor For Investments?

belgianvalid

Hi, How's everyone been doing lately? Our family has always been interested in savings and mutual funds investments. However, a friend of mine told me that I need to consult a reliable financial advisor for my next plan of investing into a blue chip stock market. This is to prevent risk of all sorts. Personally, this might be an extra expense on my part. Do I really need the financial advice? I want to know your advice about this. Can anyone explain it to me further? I would really appreciate your ideas about this matter.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
How much total is the value of your portfolio (including what you're looking to add to your investments)? How old are you and your spouse, how many kids do you have, and how old are they? What are your objectives for your portfolio? E.g. saving for retirement, kids college, just splashing money around, etc.?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
How much total is the value of your portfolio (including what you're looking to add to your investments)? How old are you and your spouse, how many kids do you have, and how old are they? What are your objectives for your portfolio? E.g. saving for retirement, kids college, just splashing money around, etc.?

This is a weird bit of information to ask someone on the internet. I mean, I get that you're trying to help the guy out, but that is some awfully personal stuff.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is a weird bit of information to ask someone on the internet. I mean, I get that you're trying to help the guy out, but that is some awfully personal stuff.
So what better approach would you recommend?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
So what better approach would you recommend?

I am not an expert in the subject, but I'd be thoroughly surprised if there was absolutely zero way of helping OP out without divulging all of his/her personal information.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am not an expert in the subject, but I'd be thoroughly surprised if there was absolutely zero way of helping OP out without divulging all of his/her personal information.
LOL ok so your point is that I could have given better advice. Uh ok... SORRY.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, my point was not to ask random people on the internet that. What is your credit card number and your mother's maiden name?

I asked the questions I needed to answer OP's question. I am aware that it's outside of social norms to be so blunt. I am aware that some people don't like it. I'm not trying to be invasive, I just want to cut straight to the point and give a good answer. I don't want to waste time and energy dancing around things and being vague.

Go ahead and judge me for my decision to not soften my social graces. You don't like it, fine. You would never hire me, fine. You would never be my friend, fine. But I don't think you can say I'm a bad person, or immoral, for it.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi, How's everyone been doing lately? Our family has always been interested in savings and mutual funds investments. However, a friend of mine told me that I need to consult a reliable financial advisor for my next plan of investing into a blue chip stock market. This is to prevent risk of all sorts. Personally, this might be an extra expense on my part. Do I really need the financial advice? I want to know your advice about this. Can anyone explain it to me further? I would really appreciate your ideas about this matter.

The point of a financial advisor is to help you find all the vehicles you need in life. Not just what blue chip stock to invest in.

How much life insurance do you need, what about long term disability income if you become disabled, how diversified are you with paying taxes after retirement. You should be balanced with both pre tax and post tax investments. Are you a high risk or a low risk person? Are you on track to retire and do what you want to do? What vehicle are available for investment and what benefits do they offer e vs what I am looking for? If all you want is blue chip stock you are gonna miss the most important feature of financial advisors. My parents started with one 15 years ago, they retired early. It wasn't a miracle solution as they had to really dump alot of money in since they waited so long to do it. But they retired early and live comfortably.

Term vs whole life vs vul vs everything else out there. For example I stared early and I was setup with a term life insurance with the goal that when it ran out in 20 years my portfolio alone would be enough to where I don't need a life insurance. It's a short term solution until I can get where I need to be financially and have enough between all the different financial vehicles like 401k, ira, roth, mutual funds, etc. To be able to not need life insurance.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's a personal decision. I don't think it is much needed but then I"m into this stuff a lot more than most and have spent time on it to varying degrees over the years. I have had an outside advisor check things a couple of times. The first time, it was worth it. He asked some good questions that got me to change some things. The second time it wasn't. The simple formula is as follows:

- Decide how much risk you are comfortable in taking
- Based on your age, any major upcoming outlays, and risk tolerance, design a portfolio allocation (what percentage should be invested in what)
- Pick no load mutual funds to align with those allocations; use Morningstar ratings to select good ones; index funds are the best
- Create and maintain a spreadsheet that tracks your net worth (assets - liabilities = net worth)
- Use a good retirement planning tool to check future upcoming cash flows

it really doesn't need to be that complicated. People make it more complicated than they need to. Don't invest in individual stocks and try to beat the market. If you are doing that, just realize you are gambling.

Jaguar