• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breakfast foods!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am a breakfast nut:
- Pancakes with stuff in 'em or fruity syrup (or maple, if I'm in the mood)
- Dippy eggs with sourdough dipping bread
- Omelets with meat and/or veggies
- scrambled eggs with ham or turkey mixed in
- eggs benedict on English muffin w/ sauce
- bacon
- sausage
- home fries
- French toast
- Belgian waffles
- bagels w/ peanut butter or cream cheese
- Danishes
- Donuts
- orange juice
- grapefruit juice
- fruit (berries and melons)
- biscuits w/ gravy
- pop tarts
- cereal, especially crunchy stuff
- toast with jelly or jam or butter
- muffins
- coffee w/ dallop of cream no sugar
- tea

I don't like grits.
I actually had scrapple growing up but I'm indifferent to it.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Actually answering the OP question:

Food options:
- Muffins of some kind (I like to make them with whatever fruit my CSA gives me, plus oat bran and/or wheat flour. These blueberry muffins are my favorites that I've made so far.)
- Baked oatmeal (like this "Amish-style" one, but ideally with less sugar/butter)
- Steel-cut overnight oats (with loads of toppings)
- Wheat toast with peanut butter
- Banana with peanut butter
- Smoothies* (this banana peanut butter oat smoothie is my favorite easy go-to, but I'm a fan of smoothies in general and will use whatever fruit I have lying around)

Drink options:
- Cold-brew iced coffee
- Moka Express espresso
- My roommate's french press coffee

The only sweet breakfasts I like, are the ones with fruit. Otherwise I fall into a sugar coma right afterwards and don't function well for the rest of the morning.

I wish I could have eggs in the morning, but note that almost all of the above breakfast options require minimal work on the morning of. Eggs actually require using the stove, and taking longer than 5 minutes to prepare something. I probably DO have time for that in the morning, but it stresses me out, so I don't bother.

I also prefer less sweet things for breakfast but, I will make exceptions some of the time. Pan fried corn meal mush with butter and maple syrup. Baked oatmeal. And this.

Middle Eastern Tahini, Date, and Cardamom Bulgur Wheat Breakfast Bake

I go ahead and use light brown sugar. I don't substitute anything for the baharat kaak, or try to make the blend myself. It won't work.
That sounds amazing. Do you think you can substitute oats and have it turn out well?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That sounds amazing. Do you think you can substitute oats and have it turn out well?

Hmm...no I don't think you could, the consistency would change. You'd also lose that nutty flavor the bulgur provides. Of course if it were me, I'd give it a try anyway but use the least processed oats I could find.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Rolled omelette or tomato scramble.
Broiled grapefruit or honeydew melon.
Bacon.
Tea or coffee.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i hate grits, and in the south that's a side, i always manage to sub something else usually potatoes. so i don't see why they can't do that with eggs.

I hate grits too :laugh: potatoes though, I really really LOVE potatoes :heart: potatoes are perfect for any and every meal!

but yes, unfortunately eggs have an insidious presence in a majority of breakfast foods...

ran across THIS glorious compilation of reasons why eggs should just go away and die in a volcano after reading this thread... your brother probably agrees as well :laugh:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Rolled omelette or tomato scramble.
Broiled grapefruit or honeydew melon.
Bacon.
Tea or coffee.

Mmmmm...that's a favorite from childhood for me. I hardly ever hear anyone mention it though.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I am intrigued. What the heck are dippy eggs?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], I am intrigued. What the heck are dippy eggs?

lol. Well, sunny side up eggs, and/or a type of fried egg.

So the white is cooked, but the yolk is still runny, and you can dip toast, etc., in it. You could also boil/poach them in some way so that the white is cooked but again the yolk is runny.

eggsovereasy.jpg

90f9fbb2833a5521769a9004b91df819.jpg

... I've never heard of broiled grapefruit. Interesting.

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol. Well, sunny side up eggs, and/or a type of fried egg.

So the white is cooked, but the yolk is still runny, and you can dip toast, etc., in it. You could also boil/poach them in some way so that the white is cooked but again the yolk is runny.
I thought that might be what it was, but I wasn't sure. I thought it might be a regional thing. And then I was worried that I was missing out on some unusual delicacy. :laugh:

I used to hate eggs, actually. The very idea of them is rather unappealing, after all. When I was a kid, the only way I would eat eggs was scrambled. And then, in my early 20s, a switch was flipped for no apparent reason. Now I can't get enough of them. Fried, poached, soft-boiled. Love them all. Except, weirdly, I don't really like them scrambled anymore.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought that might be what it was, but I wasn't sure. I thought it might be a regional thing. And then I was worried that I was missing out on some unusual delicacy. :laugh:

I think the name is regional. I usually call them fried eggs, I'm not sure why I used "dippy" when I made that post. :) But a lot of people call them that where I came from.

I used to hate eggs, actually. The very idea of them is rather unappealing, after all. When I was a kid, the only way I would eat eggs was scrambled. And then, in my early 20s, a switch was flipped for no apparent reason. Now I can't get enough of them. Fried, poached, soft-boiled. Love them all. Except, weirdly, I don't really like them scrambled anymore.

I'll eat them scrambled, but that's kind of like the most boring type of egg on my menu. Of course I used to not cook them well; i've lowered the heat and constantly stirred so they start to congeal into strands and folds, so they're much more flavorful and nicely textured now.

... the weird thing for me: I used to eat a hard-boiled egg for breakfast when I was young without issues, and I actually really like the yolk... but at some point in adulthood my body can't handle them anymore. My stomach seems to process them straight into sulfur, and I'll stop there. So that's a bummer, as I'd probably enjoy a cobb salad for example but can't handle it. It's weird because my body is fine with all other types of egg... just not the hard-boiled yolk.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I hate grits too :laugh: potatoes though, I really really LOVE potatoes :heart: potatoes are perfect for any and every meal!

but yes, unfortunately eggs have an insidious presence in a majority of breakfast foods...

ran across THIS glorious compilation of reasons why eggs should just go away and die in a volcano after reading this thread... your brother probably agrees as well :laugh:

Blasphemy. I loooooooooooooooooooove grits. I didn't like eggs when I was young but I've been slowly coming around. I could handle eggs with things but never by themselves.

My favorite breakfast since I was a child is Eggs Bacon and Grits.

eggs-grits-bacon.jpg

I also love biscuits and gravy.

Mexican or costa rican breakfasts as well.

Shrimp and grits.

Cheese toast with bacon and jalapenos.

Corned beef hash.

Good omelets.

Hash scrambles.

I'm a bagel slut.

Breakfast sandwiches all day.

Sweet stuff occasionally. Lurv a waffle house waffle.

Good french toast.

But grits are my favorite thing, I ate them almost everyday for breakfast growing up.

Love a smoothie in the morning as well.

Breakfast is probably my fave meal.

Beorn

Permabanned
For a long time I was eating just oatmeal for breakfast at home. Sometimes with fruit or peanut butter.
Lately I've bought trader joe's steal cut oats and even the quick ones are a bit of a hassle so I have eaten some simple cereals with almond milk instead.
I go out to a Greek diner every week with a friend and we tend to get the same thing, the 2x4. That's 2 eggs scrambled (I almost always prefer fried over medium or poached, but i don't like runny eggs going into french toast), 2 french toast, 2 sausage, and 2 bacon with a decaf coffee. Unfortunately they don't get their gyro meat until later in the day otherwise I would definitely go with a gyro omelet.

I just bought some smoked salmon so might try it on a bagel with cream cheese for the first time.

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Avocado on toast with S&P
Brazilian sausage and sweet rice
Chorizo with eggs cooked in salsa
Chroizo with potatoes and masa tortillas
Papaya with honey and nuts
Chile Rellenos with salsa
Guavas and cream
Refried beans with sauteed onions
Chilaquilles (I also prefer the green sauce)
Cheese enchiladas and mayocoba beans
Pork and raisin empanadas
Yogurt and dates
Figs and almonds over oats, or yogurt, or in a tart with cream.
Coconut rolls
Chese crepes
Pupusas!!!
Crispy fried eggs

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Eggs. In every way, shape, and form.

And go one step further to create French Toast and I am just set.

But I like everything breakfast pretty much.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Grits, y'all. Nice buttery, salty, cheesy grits.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Grits, y'all. Nice buttery, salty, cheesy grits.

I like grits ok. Just not for breakfast. Shrimp and grits - good. The first time I went down south I was about 12 and they asked if I wanted grits with breakfast. I was like - what is a grit? Biscuits and gravy - I can make the shit out of that and homemade biscuits. Fried chicken biscuits too.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A hot bowl of Pho with rare beef slices, shredded chicken and herbs. A glass of Vietnamese iced coffee.

Muesli with natural yogurt, cubes of fresh mangoes, sliced bananas and pineapples, quartered strawberries, chopped dates and a drizzle of Agave nectar. A cup of freshly brewed lotus tea.

Avocado, tuna, lime juice and cucumber in toasted French bread. Unsweetened iced tea.

Pan-seared cherry tomatoes on the vine, sauté mushrooms and rosemarry scrambled eggs. Hot black tea with milk.

A big, warm almond croissant. Iced coffee with milk and no sugar.

Homemade French toast with fresh fruit. A cup of hot Chai.

A simple omelette with spinach and goat cheese. Coffee with milk.

:content:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Blasphemy. I loooooooooooooooooooove grits. I didn't like eggs when I was young but I've been slowly coming around. I could handle eggs with things but never by themselves.

My favorite breakfast since I was a child is Eggs Bacon and Grits.

eggs-grits-bacon.jpg

eggs smell like the farts of Hell and grits taste aggressively bland, as if they are the food equivalent to chardonnay and the texture is just WRONG for both of them :thelook:

bacon, however, is quite tasty :)