• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somalis! Volunteer work ideas

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I've read somewhere that the average Somali MBTI type is that of the INTP. We have a large population of somalis here in Helsinki, where I live, and I might volunteer myself for some kind of work. Actually, I might be able to invest something close to 50,000 euros to some kind of volunteer work myself which would include helping the somalis.

My main business is the technology. My main skills are in education and maths. So I've thought out a concept where I help somali kids to learn maths. Young people might come to a club room to use the computers and have a knowledgable person chat with them. An adult might find help to progress towards the mathematical or scientific jobs.

Who has practical ideas how to make this work?
Does someone has a profile of the somalis as to consider whether this line of help might work for them?
Other ideas?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
-
Some mathforums are already available online now, like Math Forums | Math, Science, Homework Help, Discussions. Probably you can enhance online forums to be more advance, like adding notation keyboard that can input symbols that is not available on common keyboard. I believe anyone interested in math can join as long as they have internet connection; not just for the somalis arround there. I myself have joined. Most discussion is what I call the theoretical math; not practical.
If you want to set it exclusively isolatedly off line like only for the Somalis arround Helsinki, probably you can consider try a different approach in math: Try teaching the practical side of Math. Since it is practical, it may require some kind a place like classroom for experimentation, which aren't commonly covered by most of the internet mathforum online.
I have found that this organization kind a show the practical side in math non traditional to those math which is taught in classroom at school.

This istheir free publication since the organization was found in 1998.

They held conferences worldwide, which seems like an exhibition. Like this one. You can always try finding another in youtube by just type the keyword: bridges organization or bridges math art.
But since your plan is educational oriented, probably you want to approach like workshop, where student can learn how to make those things exhibited step by step;not just showing the finished works. For the first step, May be you can try getting in touch with them, communicate your idea, and see how they respond.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Maybe I'd like to set up a workshop in Helsinki in my neighborhood for the somali who are mathematically inclined. I think I could totally afford it at the moment. I wouldn't know who showed up. I would speak english. Learning of somali would come later.

So the somali might join up in my shop to play Dota or Wc3 or CS and at times I would hold math sessions.