• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Distinguishing Enneagram from MBTI

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I feel like people have trouble determining their Enneatypes because it becomes so entangled with other personality systems. For instance, how would you distinguish between...

Twos and Fe?
Fours and Fi?
Fives and INTx's?
Sevens and ExxP's?
Nines and IxxP's?

Obviously there's going to be some overlap there, but not all Fe users are Twos. How can you separate MBTI and Enneagram?

Doomkid

4 seems much more Ni than Fi to me
7 extraverted sensing
3 extraverted thinking(maybe)

4,5 and 9 are introverts

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Overall, I've had an easier time determining my enneatype. Many of you will notice I've frequently changed my MBTI & Socionics types while remaining consistent with my 9 typing.

I'm still probably doing typology completely wrong; I have no good answers on how to distinguish the two.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps this is why I can determine Enneagram type pretty easily IRL, as I don't have MBTI distorting my view. ;) Somewhat just kidding.

Rampant

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it's important to realize that Enneagram will look at very intrinsic, "base" instincts, dispositions, and defense mechanisms to the world while MBTI is looking at cognitive tendencies in how to perceive and think. The issue is, this isn't apparent when being tested; self testing with quizzes boil down to an evaluation of behavior which I think is a second or even third level relationship to your type in either system.