• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Films That Don't Stand the Test of Time

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those movies are guilty pleasures for me. So is the remake of Clash of the Titans/Wrath of the Titans and I loved the original Clash of the Titans. Does it stand the test of time? Eh, probably not but entertaining either way.

Very nice guilty pleasures!

I found the old Clash of the Titans did fine with age. It was the height of the Harryhausen stop motion monster animation.

I did find surprising the several scenes of female nudity in a PG movie.... standards have changed just a bit.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
They were intentionally cheesy to me, milder cheese at first to almost Parmesanaic with Batman & Robin. I was so glad Christopher Nolan came along to make Batman much more what it should be, and it was mostly that which confined the previous 4 films to history.

I never really watched the animated series, from what I've heard, I've missed out on something.

I've got a feeling Batman v Superman is going to be a mediocre film. Man of Steel was an awful film (it tried too hard in all the wrong ways), by the way, that can also go on the list...

I still like the Tim Burton movies. I never liked the Schumacher ones, although I do kind of liked the fact that they had a villain with a tendency to make terrible puns.

The Tim Burton ones had this really awesome over-the-top Fritz Lang inspired aesthetic to them. They also had a lot of dark comedy and satire to them that felt very "adult" for a kid. Schumacher kept the over-the-top stuff but did away with that kind of humor and morbid whimsy. Perhaps the Burton films fail as comic book adaptations, but they work as movies.

I suspect Tim Burton is a man who sympathises more with his villains.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Breakfast Club
Clockwork Orange
Rocky Horror
Cats! (the Musical)
I Love Lucy
Tom and Jerry
Scooby Doo
Spongebob (oh God the horror)

I know there are more filsm too lazt to think of all of them

Tempted to say Eregon to toll though...

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Most of the old Dean Jones and Kurt Russell Disney films I loved in the 70s have disappointed me in the 2000s. The Shaggy DA, Herbie, and The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes don't hold up.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Maybe because kids don't care so much about special effects :laugh: it's more about songs, colours and the story.

I actually like some old movies and I think they will be still classics in the future.
Like in the "Psycho" the scene with the knife is not very scary nowadays ( it's more funny now), but the ending is great. I don't think they could make a better final scene.

Have you ever seen Hitchcock? I also think Psycho isn't scary and somewhat funny nowadays but I loved how Hitchcock showed the marketing genius behind the movie.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I can't think of any film examples at the moment, but anything where the plot can be instantly resolved with "the characters have cell phones". Particularly anything where the plot revolves around people trying to find each other, being lost without a map, etc. Maybe that's more of a sitcom standard than one in film (Home Alone, perhaps?), but the concept of not simply being able to get in touch with a friend, or access the internet at a moment's notice is pretty un-relatable for many people these days, and that's only likely to become more and more true.

Re: Titanic - actually I suspect Titanic will hold up fairly well, if for nothing else what it did well (detail, ambiance) can't really be obsoleted. There are probably scenes where special effects may get a bit dated, but those aren't the "wow" moments for history buffs. Sure, the romance plot was sort of schlocky, and there's a plot hole or two, but I think audiences in the future will still have something to enjoy in it. I think that the special-effects-laden blockbusters are more likely to suffer.

Except for Independence Day. I was muttering about how awful it was the second I walked out of the theater... ugh :p. For me, it can't really lose over time what it never had.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

whoops. I read the title of this thread wrong. I thought it was "Films that stand the test of time."
So that whole list was films that I believe are timeless.

MY bad.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
anything made after 2010 has a 99.9 percent chance of not standing the test of time...

most Spielberg movies are crap except for a few...too...fyi.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Have you ever seen Hitchcock? I also think Psycho isn't scary and somewhat funny nowadays but I loved how Hitchcock showed the marketing genius behind the movie.

Interesting. No I haven't seen it.

I usually think twice before watching biographical movies because they are often barely scratching the surface. But if it's about chosen moment of life it may be better.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd say Sharknado, but that's too obvious... I'd say anything Mad Max-esque. Expendables, Fast and Furious... all those action movies with next to no plot. Mission Impossible has a chance, though... looking forward to seeing Rogue Nation.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'd say Sharknado, but that's too obvious... I'd say anything Mad Max-esque. Expendables, Fast and Furious... all those action movies with next to no plot. Mission Impossible has a chance, though... looking forward to seeing Rogue Nation.

I don't get the mad max movies. They're so.. boring to me.
It's just people driving shouting dumb sh*t.
There's no real story, only one type of action etc. It's just bewilderingly, mindbogglingly, daft.
Does-not-compute.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So which are crap and which aren't?

AI is good, probably made me cry, can't remember...
And most of his old movies are good, but there are some movies he made that I can't even remember the tittles too that basically stunk.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
AI is good, probably made me cry, can't remember...
And most of his old movies are good, but there are some movies he made that I can't even remember the tittles too that basically stunk.

I'm disappointed. I thought you would have a much more convincing argument.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9