• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Wannabe Music Critic Association

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
COME ONE COME ALL

I have always enjoyed doing intensive music and album write ups and I listen to music all the time and have earned such privilege I think now working at a record store for a living.

1. I would love if you gave your own views back to my views
2. I would love if you recommended albums or tracks for me to review
3. I would love seeing YOUR write ups here too.

I just fucking love music, discussing music, and decoding meanings. Let's go.

maybe not as hard as the Weeknd went with that AMA look though lmao

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
COME ONE COME ALL

I have always enjoyed doing intensive music and album write ups and I listen to music all the time and have earned such privilege I think now working at a record store for a living.

This is a great thread idea. Would you prefer to have it in the Arts and Entertainment subforum?

Music has been a huge part of my life as far back as I can remember, both playing and listening, and I tend to have a very critical nature. Oddly, though, I tend not to be spontaneously critical of what I listen to, other than sorting it by what I like vs. what I don't like. Meaning: if you ask for a critique, I will provide it, but my usual tendency is just to listen. I suppose the closest I come is to compare different versions or performances of the same thing, but again, not so much to say one is better/good, but to express a preference.

In any case, I look forward to reading what is posted, though I probably won't be familiar with what is being discussed, and will post at some point.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a great thread idea. Would you prefer to have it in the Arts and Entertainment subforum?

Music has been a huge part of my life as far back as I can remember, both playing and listening, and I tend to have a very critical nature. Oddly, though, I tend not to be spontaneously critical of what I listen to, other than sorting it by what I like vs. what I don't like. Meaning: if you ask for a critique, I will provide it, but my usual tendency is just to listen. I suppose the closest I come is to compare different versions or performances of the same thing, but again, not so much to say one is better/good, but to express a preference.

In any case, I look forward to reading what is posted, though I probably won't be familiar with what is being discussed, and will post at some point.

if you think it'd be a better fit there go for it. I wasn't sure where to put it. XD

Not a problem. I just love deep diving into albums and concepts.

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm honored to be included in this thread, per usual, Your Excellency. I can't say my knowledge or critiques of music are particularly deep or insightful; I'm better at just listening and bobbing my head, haha. But, I will say each of Kendrick's albums presenting a different vibe is part of his genius. That is my random music thought of the day.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do music write-ups and reviews all the time too lol, rarely share them but I do have a few on RateYourMusic.

IAmWar's reviews - Rate Your Music

I used to have an off-site blog for reviews as well where I extensively reviewed the top 100 most famous songs of 2014, might share that if I can find it. Had some other blogs too but they didn't go so far. I'm a bit scatterbrained about these things.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm honored to be included in this thread, per usual, Your Excellency. I can't say my knowledge or critiques of music are particularly deep or insightful; I'm better at just listening and bobbing my head, haha. But, I will say each of Kendrick's albums presenting a different vibe is part of his genius. That is my random music thought of the day.

I need to listen to Kendrick's work. I do not know much of it honestly.

- - - Updated - - -

I do music write-ups and reviews all the time too lol, rarely share them but I do have a few on RateYourMusic.

IAmWar's reviews - Rate Your Music

I used to have an off-site blog for reviews as well where I extensively reviewed the top 100 most famous songs of 2014, might share that if I can find it. Had some other blogs too but they didn't go so far. I'm a bit scatterbrained about these things.

This is rad! thanks for sharing!

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
COME ONE COME ALL

This is an awesome idea. I'm not sure if we enjoy the same kinds of music but I'll be very interested to see where this goes.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is an awesome idea. I'm not sure if we enjoy the same kinds of music but I'll be very interested to see where this goes.

TOTALLY SHARE YOUR TASTE ANYWAY. and I'd love recs for reviews. Maybe I'll enjoy more of it than you think!

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In honor of After Hours getting the biggest snub of the grammys I want to do an enraged review of the excellency that was After Hours. I was a casual listener of the Weeknd's hits and I decided on a whim to buy After Hours. After I did, I ended up going back and getting physicals of every Weeknd release including the Trilogy compilation thing. I basically became an avid fangirl of a dude who sings about drugs and fucking bitches but he's got a concept, a style, a story and I'm gonna stand by it. XD

For real though he was fucking robbed. At the very least, Blinding Lights deserves Record of the Year.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This kinda reminds me of the music mystery game I invited you to join on the Mafia forum. My reviews were often quite longer than everyone else's. I should bring that game here sometime.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This kinda reminds me of the music mystery game I invited you to join on the Mafia forum. My reviews were often quite longer than everyone else's. I should bring that game here sometime.

DO IT.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand The Weeknd on an intuitive level and not being able to do so makes me feel old. That hills have eyes song is the only one I've heard that I kinda got into.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't understand The Weeknd on an intuitive level and not being able to do so makes me feel old. That hills have eyes song is the only one I've heard that I kinda got into.

I fucking love that one though. of the major BBTM album singles I find that one best. Can't Feel My Face just doesn't have the same authenticity to me. The Weeknd kind of has this hyper awareness and self-awareness lyrically that's just outstanding. XD

skimpit

As a lot of you know, I'm a fan of several k-pop groups. BTS is what they call in our parlance, for me, my "ultimate bias group". But that doesn't mean I can't review (or at least try) my fave with a critical eye and objectivity. Please note that for the purposes of this series of reviews, I am not fluent in Korean, but I know enough to comment on a lot of aspects that a majority of ARMYs (BTS fans) probably miss unless a native Korean's commentary is spread through different channels to their ears. This includes social context, language content, and music background, among other things. If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask me.

I thought I'd start with their first album, which was heavily hip-hop based. It included a cypher skit, for example. Until I got into BTS, I didn't know what cyphers were, but now I definitely have a better understanding. BTS being the group they are now, with their fame and small individual fortunes, makes one want to look back one this stage in their career and go, "Why did they need to rip off another culture so heavily to get to the top?" The answer for that, my friend, in its simplest terms, is "it's tough out there, man" but more than that it's what appealed to the audience of the time and was unique enough still to get them on a train headed toward stardom.

The skit I mentioned showcases some of Rap Monster's / RM's freestyle rapping ability, which is rarely seen as this is a k-pop group and not a place necessarily for creativity. He's deft with rhyme, pun, and theme, and brings a certain "delicate toughness" to the scene, applying intellectualism and the traditional Korean feminine-touched masculinity to an otherwise roughly-styled rap. The noted difficult pursuit of making a name for oneself while entertaining in the current moment is something RM has focused on for the entirety of BTS' time in the k-pop system, and it can be heard here as he tries to outwit and outgun his other members.

This is an important track for that reason, as it showcases the struggles BTS had as a group from the marketing side. Were they boys, or girls? Maybe something in between? In Korea, people still view gender as very binary and fixed, despite some history of respecting "flower boys" (꽃미남 --> kkotminam) in a civilized and intellect-valuing community / kingdom in the old days. The group started out with two rappers, RM and Suga, who both wanted to do something more with their talent other than act as part of a highly integrated and produced group. This is possibly one reason out of the few previously mentioned why they started out with a base in rap and hip hop and darker, distinctly more "manly" (in the traditional sense) concepts. As they had been part of underground rapping groups, there was a certain expectation to uphold on the surface.

However, the group, as they grew in popularity and aged with fans, moved in their pre-planned Love Yourself concept toward something more toward the average--not "girly" and not terribly "masculine," either. Rather, it was simply colorful, emotive, at times playful, confident, and most of all, proudly Korean.

BTS seemed to become even more self-aware than they had been upon releasing their story arcs, as two of their members recorded a song for a drama focusing on the Silla Kingdom, where the "flower boy" concept originated. One of said members even acted in it.

In fact, I'd say a hallmark of BTS' success in the music industry started with the group's openness to self-awareness and taking it to new heights. "Loving oneself" requires a lot of care and effort, and is a highly abstract concept that most teenagers (a large part of the target [and member] audience of BTS) don't quite grasp until they're older, say, maybe starting in their mid- to late 20s. They and their record company knew what was best for a success stew, and meta-songwriting and emotional openness is what ultimately won over ARMYs' hearts.

And it all started with this track, "We Are Bulletproof Pt. 2", saying that they were the hardest working and whatnot. All the themes were present, but at the time the video was released, the greater vision hadn't come to fruition.
This video features that same defined masculinity that showcases their individual talents, which in retrospect and if watching fan reactions carefully, you would've lost sight of those entirely because the community (and it was--and is--one) surrounding the group became a sea of fanwars, some of which consisted of ARMYs bickering amongst themselves about BTS. The story of BTS musically has been thus: "loss of identity and the regaining of it through hardship, coming out for the better on the other side".

As for how well the topic was covered, well, that's a discussion for another time.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't You Cry for Me
After Hours

404,000 individual units to top the Billboard 200 on its first week, and the fourth album of Abel Tesfaye, artistically known as "The Weeknd". Intentionally spelled without the E because the band "the weekend". After Hours comes after his somewhat panned "Starboy", which noticeably a few fans felt was dull and too influenced by the mainstream charts. I disagree, but that is another story for another day. After Hours feels like a fair mixture of old and new Weeknd. It has all the foreboding, drug addicted pains of his previous work. Several songs show more of his RNB influence and his old style vocal distortions return in many of the songs. Nevertheless, it is definitely fit for new pop loving fans he obtained from other singles, with songs like In Your Eyes and Blinding Lights.

My review is sans the deluxe edition version of After Hours. I like the way the album is conceptually without these added tracks, where it seems honestly a bit more obvious to me why they were cut b-sides. I personally feel like the album flows as a concept. There are some tracks able to stand out alone but this album is a much better listen together as a cohesive story. And that is so damn rare today. So I admire that a LOT.

Alone Again
I don't know if I can be alone again
A solemn short introduction track, I actually really like the way it opens the album. It makes for the mental concept in my mind of...losing that someone that kept him together, that special person, who made him want to be a different man - a better one. And now he begins falling apart, and when he falls apart he turns to his old vices, and his old vices lead him nowhere good. Distortion heavy but it weirdly added to the emotion for me as the music gets stronger as the track goes on.

Too Late
We're in Hell, it's disguised as a paradise with flashing lights
Too Late carries on from Alone Again, discussing his mistakes and it being too late to save his soul. Conceptually, it seems a lack of belief in his "salvation" and being able to be "Saved" comes up a lot as a topic. This song is a bit more forgettable in a stand alone sense but I think it carries on the story well.

Hardest To Love
I've been the hardest to love
This is my least favorite track, for one particular reason. The instrumental goes faster than the actual singing of his voice. And the difference between his singing melody and the musical melody drives me up a wall. Gives me a headache. On top of it, I feel like Too Late covered this quite well so I do not think this track "had" to be there. It doesn't really melodically go with the rest of the album in my mind. It just seems like a weird outlier that wasn't needed and is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Scared to Live
Refuse to be the one who taints your heart
Scared to Live is a ballad RnB style track and really shows a softer side to the Weeknd and the album as a whole. Espeically when conceptually from here we start into the deepest depths of darkness. Like he felt because he is just so...bad. So unsaveable. That he must let her go and he wants her to live again. Go on without him...but without her, he descents into the worst parts of himself.

So after scared to live I'd say we enter part 2: Lost. The next two songs have a reflection into his past, his vices, where he came from.

Snowchild
Not to mislead turn my nightmares into big dreams
He reflects on coming from nothing and turning his darkest hours into "big dreams" per say his success in music. This song reminds me of many of Trilogy's sort of tracks which also feels so fitting. The title is a reference to his drug abuse past. He reflects on making it big now and being within hollywood. On my first listen this song REALLY stood out to me. The reflection. Made me think a bit of J. Cole's sort lyricism to be honest. XD

Escape from LA
Gave you everything you wanted
But none of that matters to you, oh-oh

Escape from LA brings his past toward the present now, as he's "fucking girls in the studio" and how all these LA girls look the same, getting that same work down, same old stuff. Tired of the fakeness and lack of authenticity. He appears to be trying to fill the void of her, but in the end nothing he did was enough.

Part 3: the descent into losing your shit in Vegas, as described by Abel himself.

Heartless
Never need a bitch, I'm what a bitch need
Tryna find the one that can fix me

I love this line because it is so contradictory. He is what they need yet the second line quickly implies he quite frankly DOES need them, he wants someone to fix his brokenness, his lost state. He's looking for a girl to make him better. But as heartless goes...he goes back to his old ways. I honestly love the perspective of this song. It feels like an intense self-loathing or an "I'm the bitch" kinda song but the bridge shows this vulnerability, that he is not, in fact, heartless as he makes it seem.

Faith
I feel everything from my body to my soul
Faith is my favorite song from this album hands down. The depth, the vulnerability, the blunt honesty, the production. It is more than just a song of drugs. It is what drives the individual to do the drugs. The loneliness, the hopelessness, and the loss. You can just feel the emptiness.

Blinding Lights
The city's cold and empty
If you haven't heard Blinding Lights, you probably don't turn on a hit radio station. In retrospect with the whole album, this song becomes quite sad. It comes after Faith, which is so obviously of drugs and relapsing drugs in sadness, and now as he is coming down he wishes she was with him. The city, the drugs, offer him little consolation. It is a reminder as well that substances do not cure things. In the end, you come down, and you still are faced with the emotions.

In Your Eyes
You always try to hide the pain
I always felt perhaps In Your Eyes is actually referencing her knowledge of his addiction, his relapse, and trying to hide how much it hurt her. He can tell, he feels shame for hurting her, he can see it in her eyes. And he doesn't let her concealment define her, as the same time it is sad because of course addiction has a hold on him. He remembers what he had and how he hurt her.

Save Your Tears
Yeah, I broke your heart like someone did to mine
And now you won't love me for a second time

See a reference back to scared to live, how he let her go and felt it better for her. But he sees her now and regrets letting her go and pushing her away. We get a perspective from In Your Eyes that she was actually someone there for him, who forgave him and let it go. But he couldn't stand being the reason she kept breaking so he felt he MUST let her go. but then he melted down without her. now he cannot stand to see her with someone else.

Repeat After Me (Interlude)
You don't love him, you're just fucking
You're just fucking, it means nothing to me

Most interludes do not have the depth of this. XD Nevertheless, Repeat After Me definitely shows the stronger underlying feeling within Save Your Tears of hating her with someone else. Imagining that in fact, she's thinking of him instead. Trying to be callous. "It means nothing to me". He says it so strongly, you'd think...he's trying to convince himself.

After Hours
Girl, I felt so alone inside of this crowded room
He now acknowledges it does matter to him - she matters to him. He remembers how she always cared for him and begs her to entrust him with her heart again. He makes various promises of never hurting her again. Never leaving or breaking her heart again. All the vices he tried to use to compensate for his loss of her, he now admits were foolish.

Until I Bleed Out
I wanna cut you outta my dreams
It is strange to enjoy an album closer as much as I enjoyed this album closer. It is short, simple, but I feel it leaves the bittersweet open ending this album needed. It was not really resolved. He still has a problem. He is still rattling his brain. He wishes he could stop using. He wishes he could cut her out of his mind completely. He needs to "Bleed it out." And I think it easily takes you back to the front...as a reminder, this is like ripping parts of yourself out and throwing yourself out there at your absolute worst spot. Being alone, being lost, drugged, broken, heartless, angry, depressed. It is everything at once. It is a rollercoaster that for healing may be repeated over and over regularly.

This album deserved grammy nominations, at the very least. It is criminal the lack of respect the association gave it. This album is a stand out even for him. As I revisit his old tracks, this album still heavily stands out to me. It has a depth to it, a deep emotional mark. It isn't just drugs and bitches. I feel like in many ways, this is a description of why there's consistently drugs and bitches. It is well written, cohesive, and it is just hard to find an album you can put in your cd player and want to hear the whole thing for the story outline of it in today's streaming era that focuses on a few hits and some filler. He is an artist in a world of indulgence.

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You ever listen to Björk? This is one of her hits, came out in the '90s on her album Debut.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Also a weird thought:
Someone told me Bjork and Kate Bush were similar. I had never listened to either. This cd was in a 99 cent bin. I got it for a dollar. XD I ended up liking the weirdness of it.

I managed to try a Kate Bush cd thinking she'd be as eclectic. I didn't like it and was confused why they were compared. Kate Bush sounds a bit like a more eccentric Marina & The Diamonds.

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I feel like I missed something here because there's so many people raving about Miley's Plastic Hearts.

Miley has had...quite the career. She has a very noticeable voice and honestly she could have made her career without the antics. But to be clear, I was a Hannah Montana kid. I had a singing doll and everything. Until Bangerz. After Bangerz for a long time I absolutely would not support her. She was...beyond extra about her choices. It hasn't even been until last year I started to listen to her again and reintroduce myself to her old music.

To be clear, outside the ballads, I absolutely did not get the hype of Bangerz either. So many of those songs are actually terrible. Miley has constantly injusticed her career by subpar work being called "bangers" and not sticking to anything consistently.

Up until now I will say my favorite Miley album is Can't Be Tamed. It was cohesive, it mixed heavier rock influences with dance music and it fit pretty well. I actually did not hate Younger Now like many do, it just sounds lyrically uninspired in places. Miley's voice is interesting because it can have the grit needed for rock but it can also have a smoothness very suited for country.

Nevertheless, let me tell you why Plastic Hearts oddly underwhelms me.

Why do...when I listen to Hate Me...feel like I'm listening to Hannah Montana's washed up career? XD
If she was going to go this retro in ballad sounds, she should have done so with her voice too. Her voice sometimes on the CD basically sounds like she singing over an 80s karaoke backtrack and that BUGS me man.
I know Miley is predominantly pop but she called this a "rock" album. It sounds more like serious 80s nostalgia. Some of these songs don't represent rock at all.
I think in some songs, she tried way too hard. Maybe she came in SO HARD with the first track that everything else felt underwhelming. I was hoping for more of this and Midnight Sky.

This album shows some of Miley's potential if she would sit down and stay consistent and apply the same effort to every song.

Take aways:
Midnight Sky, obvis
WTF Do I Know
Angels Like You
Gimme What I Want
Night Crawling

So a 50/50 kind of album. Definitely not an album of the year for me. A bit disappointed expectations wise. I honestly felt like this would be that album from her weirdly. Her attitude always fit rock a bit more.

I'm obviously a humbug though since so many others like it. XD