• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Rank your favorite slasher genre films

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. Deep Red
2. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 1974
3. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
4. Halloween 1978
4. Sleepaway Camp
5. Psycho 1960
6. A Nightmare on Elm Street 1984
7. The Burning
8. Friday the 13th Part II
9. Candyman
10. Child's Play

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I also remember being fascinated by the candy man series, but I really like Tony Todd. So its possible that's all it was.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I also remember being fascinated by the candy man series, but I really like Tony Todd. So its possible that's all it was.

I wanted to like that film so much, but I kept falling asleep.

Kind of like Hellraiser. What a great concept for a series and the character design, damn... but the implementation? Not so hot.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Yeah. But he's so great. I think Candyman could've just featured Tony Todd making fart sounds and I'd still include it on my list because he's Tony fucking Todd. That voice. The only man who could convincingly play Worf's brother too, BTW.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Kind of like Hellraiser. What a great concept for a series and the character design, damn... but the implementation? Not so hot.

Candyman had some subtexts about race that were rare for the slasher genre, which usually avoids any social commentary. That and Tony Todd's performance really are what made it stick in my memory. I don't even find it to be a particularly scary film, though it's pretty tragic. The Candyman sequels unfortunately left any meaningful themes on race or social commentary behind, and so they were more forgettable for me.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A lot of these films would be forgettable if not for one or two shock effects that stick in the viewer's memory. Sleepaway Camp would probably be forgotten if not for that ending. That face though. Unsettling. BTW Felissa Rose is going to be at an upcoming horror convention, thinking about going.

The Cat

Staff member
Yeah. But he's so great. I think Candyman could've just featured Tony Todd making fart sounds and I'd still include it on my list because he's Tony fucking Todd. That voice. The only man who could convincingly play Worf's brother too, BTW.

An an aged Jake Sisko.

Can you imagine a movie where Keith David and Tony Todd featured?@_@

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
An an aged Jake Sisko.

Can you imagine a movie where Keith David and Tony Todd featured?@_@

bring it. these guys aren't getting any younger, so they better make this fast.

Keith David is probably one of my favorite parts of The Thing. Even if he probably was a doppelganger by the end of the movie.

The Cat

Staff member

I kind of like Hellraiser too. But I wasnt sure they'd "Count" as Salsher films. ;)

Bloodlines and 3 were 90's af

The Cat

Staff member
bring it. these guys aren't getting any younger, so they better make this fast.

Keith David is probably one of my favorite parts of The Thing. Even if he probably was a doppelganger by the end of the movie.

If you played the game which was the sequel. it was Kurt Russel, you find Keith David and the whiskey.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you played the game which was the sequel. it was Kurt Russel, you find Keith David and the whiskey.

Did you play it? I never did. I still have a PS2, maybe I'll get a copy. So you find a frozen Keith David? Cool easter egg. They Live would also be a cool movie to do a video game sequel for.

You'd enjoy Alien Isolation. tons of easter eggs and references in it.

The Cat

Staff member
Did you play it? I never did. I still have a PS2, maybe I'll get a copy. So you find a frozen Keith David? Cool easter egg. They Live would also be a cool movie to do a video game sequel for.

You'd enjoy Alien Isolation. tons of easter eggs and references in it.

Check steam. I played it on pc back in 2003

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I kind of like Hellraiser too. But I wasnt sure they'd "Count" as Salsher films. ;)

Bloodlines and 3 were 90's af

Yeah, I was surprised to come back from lunch and see that I actually posted that... I thought I had left the window open and was gonna delete the Hellraiser part... although it's kind of a scifi demon slightly slasher...

They did not really age that well.

I don't really watch a ton of slashers because they tend to proliferate the bottom of the horror food chain, they're low-budget and easy to film. But I'll think through my film list and see if any stick out.

I remember liking Deep Red and some gallo flicks; and I do like Nightmare on Elm Street in general, which is basically surreal supernatural slasher, the Freddie's personality really anchors the whole thing (Englund's performance).

Oh yeah, and I am a big fan of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre -- I felt unexpected exhilaration in the last five minutes of the film, I was blown away because I never saw that feeling coming.

Does Final Destination count as slasher? haha -- it's like "Death's come a'slashin' for ya"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FTR I didn't consider Hellraiser a slasher. I didn't see it until adulthood. I'd always assumed it was a slasher because people usually speak of Pinhead in the same breaths as Jason and Freddy.