• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ghostbusters: Afterlife

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh my god yes.

Why are they trying to make this comedy into a drama? At least that's the way it looks. P

I really won't be surprised if this is a case where the film tone doesn't really match the trailer tone, but a nervous studio exec pushed to market it with a certain audience in mind. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened with a movie. It's also funny how much the trailer seems to go to great lengths to say "hey look, this is not related to that 2016 reboot. don't look at us, we had nothing to do with that one." Yet in doing so, they really make it impossible to look at this new film independently of the 2016 reboot.

Though to be fair, the originals were sort of "horror dramedy", I just found it odd that this trailer didn't feature a single joke. Maybe they mistook negative reactions to the humor showcased in the 2016 trailer as a sign audiences wanted no humor in GB movies :shrug:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Oh my god yes.

Why are they trying to make this comedy into a drama? At least that's the way it looks. P

As Dr Malcolm would say. They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could...they never stopped to consider whether or not they should. And before they even knew it they had. Now they've patented it packaged it slapped it on a plastic lunchbox and now they've gotta sell it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I thought it was both visually and aurally stimulating. I didn't expect the plot to go any deeper than it did. To be fair, the original film kind of did the overused messiah thing, itself an overused cliché in films.

Kosinski tends toward a wide spacious look....but that left Legacy feeling very empty and unpopulated. I actually found it visually boring aside from a few action shots. His minimalism worked better in Oblivion, where the population is basically gone anyway.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As Dr Malcolm would say. They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could...they never stopped to consider whether or not they should. And before they even knew it they had. Now they've patented it packaged it slapped it on a plastic lunchbox and now they've gotta sell it.

I'm expecting any merch like toys to rot on the shelves like it did for the 2016 remake. Even if the film is well received, I think the actual market for GB stuff is fairly niche, where you might see a moderate amount of fans of the original film buying high quality action figures based on the classic characters produced in limited numbers. They aren't going to want mass produced action figures made to meh quality in the likeness of Finn Wolfhard and Paul Rudd. Similar thing happened with merch related to the Trek '09 reboot. Sure, the movie sold a shit ton of tickets, but when it comes to people who collect Trek merch no one wanted toys based on the new films. Even with SW, you can point to similar examples. It's rare now to see figures for characters from the prequels, yet they're always releasing versions of original trilogy characters, because those SELL. Figures of 10 year old Anakin do not sell.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Kosinski tends toward a wide spacious look....but that left Legacy feeling very empty and unpopulated. I actually found it visually boring aside from a few action shots. His minimalism worked better in Oblivion, where the population is basically gone anyway.

Maybe I'm just biased because it had a kickass score, easily one of the best of the last 10 years. I love the juxtaposition of the big orchestral Zimmer style with the retro synth style. That film and Drive basically birthed the current synthwave craze and aesthetic of vaguely symphonic, cinematic synthpop paired with neon landscape visuals.

I stand by my comments. Yes, the film is basically a long music video, but it works if you don't expect anything more out of it. The original was little more than its own excuse to showcase what were new and flashy effects (by 1982 standards anyway) and Wendy Carlos' cool synth score. Citizen Kane or Taxi Driver it ain't

The Cat

Staff member
I'm expecting any merch like toys to rot on the shelves like it did for the 2016 remake. Even if the film is well received, I think the actual market for GB stuff is fairly niche, where you might see a moderate amount of fans of the original film buying high quality action figures based on the classic characters produced in limited numbers. They aren't going to want mass produced action figures made to meh quality in the likeness of Finn Wolfhard and Paul Rudd. Similar thing happened with merch related to the Trek '09 reboot. Sure, the movie sold a shit ton of tickets, but when it comes to people who collect Trek merch no one wanted toys based on the new films. Even with SW, you can point to similar examples. It's rare now to see figures for characters from the prequels, yet they're always releasing versions of original trilogy characters, because those SELL. Figures of 10 year old Anakin do not sell.

Everyone and everything is for sale in it's own time. There's nothing so undesired as to be entirely without a market of willing consumers.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe I'm just biased because it had a kickass score, easily one of the best of the last 10 years. I love the juxtaposition of the big orchestral Zimmer style with the retro synth style. That film and Drive basically birthed the current synthwave craze and aesthetic of vaguely symphonic, cinematic synthpop paired with neon landscape visuals.

I stand by my comments. Yes, the film is basically a long music video, but it works if you don't expect anything more out of it. The original was little more than its own excuse to showcase what were new and flashy effects (by 1982 standards anyway) and Wendy Carlos' cool synth score. Citizen Kane or Taxi Driver it ain't

Well, yeah -- I expect my movies to actually be movies. Otherwise I'd be watching a music video.

I did like the Daft Punk score. Wendy nailed some pretty big scores in her time too.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Might be good, might be crap. Guess it depends on how well it's written directed and performed, which we will have to wait and see. Takes place in a small town, which I find interesting, but also smells a bit woke, which I find annoying. Could go either way. 50/50.

The Cat

Staff member
The fact that they find the ghost trap and talk about it as a cool replica pretty much sets the tone of what it is. That was a trailer point. Like they felt like we as the potential viewer, needed to see that to understand the plot.

Spengler and Stantz's American Pickers Presents Ghostbusters: Afterlife. (Afterlife because the franchise is dead)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kosinski tends toward a wide spacious look....but that left Legacy feeling very empty and unpopulated.

That's a very good way of putting it, although there's also the problem that the color palette is nothing more than dialing up the overused orange-teal palette to the max.

The original felt very expansive, and that did not. While the plot of the original is certainly very murky, I'd still say that the movie has high rewatch value. I don't feel the same about Legacy, although I may give it a second chance.

Also, Jeff Bridges had way more charisma than that guy that played his son. Maybe if there was more Bridges in Legacy, I would have liked it more.

The Cat

Staff member
My big issue with Tron legacy is lack of Jeff Bridges. I have that issue with a lot of movies though. I'm even usually excited to get Beau. I miss the hell out of Lloyd too. I was EXTREMELY dissapointed that they were not the Bridges of Madison County.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My big issue with Tron legacy is lack of Jeff Bridges. I have that issue with a lot of movies though. I'm even usually excited to get Beau. I miss the hell out of Lloyd too. I was EXTREMELY dissapointed that they were not the Bridges of Madison County.

By this time, my lungs were aching for air

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was EXTREMELY disappointed that they were not the Bridges of Madison County.

They were actually The Bridges of Los Angeles County.

Maybe someone can make a sequel.
(and merchandise the shit out of it)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The full trailer for this officially aired before Bond last night.

No idea how good it will be, but it does actually fix one of the major problems with the female reboot -- it repeatedly harkens back to the original Ghostbusters team with photos and youtube videos of them (inside the film) as well as at least one cameo.

The setting is very very different (more rural, vs urban), so maybe that is throwing people off.

But at least they are taking note of their biggest asset: The original films and their fanbase.

I about threw a book at my eldest (the horror / fandom / Criterion junkie) last night when, after we were leaving the theater, he admitted he had still not seen the original Ghostbusters. I have failed as a parent. We will resolve this shortly.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The full trailer for this officially aired before Bond last night.

No idea how good it will be, but it does actually fix one of the major problems with the female reboot -- it repeatedly harkens back to the original Ghostbusters team with photos and youtube videos of them (inside the film) as well as at least one cameo.

The setting is very very different (more rural, vs urban), so maybe that is throwing people off.

But at least they are taking note of their biggest asset: The original films and their fanbase.

I about threw a book at my eldest (the horror / fandom / Criterion junkie) last night when, after we were leaving the theater, he admitted he had still not seen the original Ghostbusters. I have failed as a parent. We will resolve this shortly.
I have no excitement or interest in this at all. To me it seems like they realized Stranger Things would popular and thought "hey, what if we used that to reboot Ghostbusters". But I've kind of lost interest in Stranger Things, which may explain it.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have no excitement or interest in this at all. To me it seems like they realized Stranger Things would popular and thought "hey, what if we used that to reboot Ghostbusters". But I've kind of lost interest in Stranger Things, which may explain it.

I never was engrossed in Stranger Things, honestly. It always seemed like "Stephen King Lite" -- trying to crib off him and pop culture incoherently, for people aren't really in those fan bases of anime and King and RPGs and whatever else. I watched it mainly to participate in the dialog at best. I think Season 3 might have been the most cogent of the three, and I won't be sad when it is gone.

Honestly, I'm kinda jaded now with many of the franchises, esp Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Star Trek bores me. I get a mild boost from Bond but don't invest much time anymore.

Same with Ghostbusters. I will probably watch the film on streaming or something, but I don't think I want a theater ticket for it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I never was engrossed in Stranger Things, honestly. It always seemed like "Stephen King Lite" -- trying to crib off him and pop culture incoherently, for people aren't really in those fan bases of anime and King and RPGs and whatever else. I watched it mainly to participate in the dialog at best. I think Season 3 might have been the most cogent of the three, and I won't be sad when it is gone.

Honestly, I'm kinda jaded now with many of the franchises, esp Game of Thrones and Star Wars. Star Trek bores me. I get a mild boost from Bond but don't invest much time anymore.

Same with Ghostbusters. I will probably watch the film on streaming or something, but I don't think I want a theater ticket for it.
The trailer showed enough ghouls to make me interested. Seems at least like they aren't leaning too hard on "realism", so that's a positive. But yeah I don't think this a theater one. Matrix might be a theater watch if the reviews indicate isn't just a TFA style reboot (even though that's probably what it is).