• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Fitness Journey and Progress

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
After about a year of introducing almost daily resistance training, I didn't lose any weight, but my cholesterol levels went down, so I think that's a win. I'm pretty sure it must have been at least part of the reason, possibly along with eating more blueberries and more flaxseeds.
You probably achieved body recomposition with new muscle weight replacing lost fat weight. I've actually gained a few pounds myself but somehow my clothes actually fit looser now, so pretty sure I've been slowly replacing fat stores with new muscle.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Measured my upper arms and got 16” around. Which isn’t really that much, but considerably bigger than they were. Still some flab hanging around but now I can see a little muscle definition showing through, and my biceps and triceps are starting to look good in the right T shirts. I’ve been neglecting my cardio lately so it’s possible I’m starting to bulk out more. Need to up my cardio so I can retain a somewhat slim frame.

Also, legs looking more muscular and toned in my grey joggers than they were looking 2 months ago.

I still struggle with low self esteem and dysmorphia, but I’ve overall been feeling a lot better about myself.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Problem for me is I loathe doing gym cardio. Treadmills and bicycle machines are boring, so I just end up lifting most of the time, and maybe hitting the rowing machine once or twice a week after forcing myself to do some cardio. Can't wait for it to warm up enough to start taking walks and bicycling, then I can get most of my cardio in doing fun shit outside of a gym. I also feel I can push myself harder doing fun outdoors cardio than I can push myself on a treadmill or bike machine. When you're outdoors exploring a trail or just taking in the sights, sounds and smells on a hike or ride, the grueling aspect of the workout becomes an afterthought, but when you're on a treadmill or other gym cardio equpiment, it's just you and the dull, monotonous burn of the workout. The burn is more fun when you're out in the world and you feel you're going somewhere and experiencing more than the smell of stale sweat and the echo of sneakers on hard gym floors.

A

Auroras

If someone suffers from myopathy, how can they exercise? My legs quiver and cramp up from something as simple as just walking on a treadmill, which makes working out in general insufferable for me. I'd hit the free weights to work on my upper body, but even that somehow makes my legs protest in anger.

I'm tired of being out of shape, but my legs are just not cooperating with me.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What are some good methods for upper body strength training? I don't care about how it looks. I simply want to be stronger.

I walk everwhere, so I'm not that concerned about my lower body.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are some good methods for upper body strength training? I don't care about how it looks. I simply want to be stronger.

With just body weight, push ups and pull ups. With varying sets of barbells, you can do bicep curls, and work on your triceps, chest and back, pretty easily. An adjustable bench helps.

xenaprincess

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do people manage going to the gym several days a week and commute to work?

I used to live in Brooklyn and was spoiled with a gym down the street. Do people just not have dinner with their families or do you go super early in the mornings before work?

I feel like I have no time or energy at all.

Last edited:

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If someone suffers from myopathy, how can they exercise? My legs quiver and cramp up from something as simple as just walking on a treadmill, which makes working out in general insufferable for me. I'd hit the free weights to work on my upper body, but even that somehow makes my legs protest in anger.

I'm tired of being out of shape, but my legs are just not cooperating with me.
https://www.myositis.org/about-myositis/treatment-disease-management/exercise-physical-therapy

Does swimming feel less difficult?

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

You could also try using a resistance band. I am surprised at how much muscle I can see having gained in my arms over the last year. There are a lot of good videos on youtube.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My weight has hovered around 200 lbs (plus or minus 5 lbs) for the last couple of months. Physically, I appear to have gotten slightly thinner, with more noticeable muscles, so I assume body recomposition has been happening.

Current routine is 4-5 days a week, usually 30 minutes to 1.5 hours per session. I mostly lift and save cardio for outdoor walks when the weather is nice. I am not really counting calories or macros like I should be, because I'm lazy and I don't have a working fitbit or smart watch. Monday chest/triceps Tuesday biceps/back, Wednesday legs/abs, Thursday shoulders.

Erections are frequent and strong. If you're an over-40 male who's ever struggled with weak erections, ED, or lower libido, lifting weights makes a world of difference.

Tomorrow will mark 3 months since I've been regularly lifting at a real gym.

Last edited: