• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Favorite ALTERNATIVE Music From the 90s

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Thanks for posting Duran Duran and Depeche Mode...I tend to lump in their 90s stuff with the really good beginning of Alt Rock in the 80s...The Cure, REM, Peter Murphy, Sisters of Mercy, Morrissey, etc...even though they did make good stuff in the 90s. I actually owned a Morrissey album before a Smiths album due to my age group mostly, but I still think of these bands as 80s alt rock for some reason. Concrete Blonde actually should apply to the same principle, but I think it's because Bloodletting was bigger than Still in Hollywood or even Walking in London (their first album I had in middle school). But technically they began in the 80s.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The 80s was also shit at pop, IMO. Unless you consider bands like Talking Heads and Genesis pop, but their music was, respectively, new wave and progressive rock merely appropriating some 80s pop elements.

80s was likely the golden Era of pop, so I'm going to have to disagree. I really love New Wave/Synth pop which are shoot off of late 70s punk, no wave and bands like Talking Heads and Genesis. ..Genesis is definitely pop, especially their later stuff. I like the Human League, Howard Jones, Til Tuesday, Duran Duran, Blondie, The Clash, The Church, and songs like Mexican Radio, Pop Musik, and Heart and Soul.

People would also assuredly shout you down over Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the 80s were also the beginning of college music/alt rock, with some cross over to pop (Duran Duran being a good example of pop/alt rock cross over and also New Order the remaining members of Joy Division). I really like the gothic/horror/whatever streak from the 80s through the early 90s, lots of songs about supernatural stuff, ranging from The Cures Charlotte Sometimes to Bauhaus Bela Legosi is Dead. ..which reached into the 90s with Concrete Blonde.

What I WILL agree with is that corporate radio in the late 80s was complete and utter shit, there was some really terrible annoying pop in the mid to late 80s, which is likely what gave us the alternative movement first in radio, then as a loose genre. To this day people still use the word, I've seen it applied to Lana del Rey. ..though I think as a genre title it's fairly meaningless in 2016, compared to what it meant in 1990.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thanks for posting Duran Duran and Depeche Mode...I tend to lump in their 90s stuff with the really good beginning of Alt Rock in the 80s...The Cure, REM, Peter Murphy, Sisters of Mercy, Morrissey, etc...even though they did make good stuff in the 90s. I actually owned a Morrissey album before a Smiths album due to my age group mostly, but I still think of these bands as 80s alt rock for some reason. Concrete Blonde actually should apply to the same principle, but I think it's because Bloodletting was bigger than Still in Hollywood or even Walking in London (their first album I had in middle school). But technically they began in the 80s.

I have just about every Depeche Mode album but for some reason didn't discover them till the 1990s so that's what I associate them with. As to Duran Duran, I saw them last night at Ravinia. They were awesome!

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeeesssss

Oh yes I can go on for days with this
[MENTION=6877]Thalassa[/MENTION], Would is my favorite AIC song, I think, though they have tons of good ones.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had to get out my CDs recently because I'm borrowing a car I can't easily hook my ipod up to. It's nice to sort of be forced to listen to albums in their entirely again, I'd forgotten the value of it. Anyway, I've been listening to these:

And these I'm just remembering as favorites from the 90s:

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And this one is from the 80s, but is begging to be posted here.

Rebeka

MBTI Type
ENFP
man you should have proposed a more difficult thread than this.... nirvana, red hot chili peppers, alanis morrisette... the verbe.... who did not rock out in the 90s? :cry::cry:

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'll try to stick to bands i don't recall seeing here yet...