• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why Everyone And Their Mother Is Now Identifying As An Introvert

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read that book "Quiet", mentioned in the OP. I really didn't care for it. It implied that introverts were superior, and extroverts had no real substance. I expect that's why it's become so popular. People love feeling that they're special and unique, so it's no surprise that more people would want to identify as introverts, now that they're being haled as noble and enlightened.

Personally, I don't think being an introvert is that great. But that's another topic.

I've got that book 'Quiet' in my TBR pile, but you're making me feel less enthusiastic about opening it! :)

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't really see that much of a backlash against extroverts, especially compared with what introverts deal with. Introverts, for instance, frequently make less money even though they may be just as qualified simply because they lack the social networks.

Again, I think backlash is the wrong word.

Hitoshi-San

MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
???
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just another way to slip some special snowflake syndrome into your life!!! Generalizing all introverts as misunderstood and therefore considering themselves misunderstood like it's an accessory, it's like another form of needing attention.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since introversion <--> extroversion are on a continuum, you could draw the line at any point between the two to make the category of introverts bigger or smaller. I don't think it's binary, but a measure of whether an individual draws their energy to recuperate from their internal or external world. In the strictest definition, I'm not sure it is only restricted to socializing, but could even include people who tend to be energized by new sensory experiences or discussions of ideas. Also, some introverts need social connections with a few people. What complicates the issue is that every person draws some energy from both the internal and external worlds, but for different reasons and to different degrees. Both extreme end points are rare for an individual. Anytime two categories are presented with subtext to prefer one over the other, then of course it is human nature to flock to the "superior" category. It also happened with Kiersey's descriptions of iNtuition and Sensing.

From what I understand, the psychological definitions have to do with how information is processed. The extrovert has a faster real-time filtering process. When they are in a social environment with many people, they can quickly filter out the important bits of information from the impressions of the entire system. The introvert takes in all the information and goes into overload. They have to spend more time alone to deliberately filter out the information. The more extreme the introversion, the more likely the individual will experience social, sensory, and information overwhelm. The extrovert doesn't get overwhelmed because they only internalize the bits they choose. It would be easy enough to paint extroversion as the positive category if you chose the right things to emphasize.

I will add that the sense of "normal" in the world clearly prefers extroversion. There is an underlying suspicion and fear of the introvert. They are more unknown and people fear the unknown. It would be pretty difficult to turn those tables - unless you live in the far northern, frigid climates. Then introversion is easier to function as a norm because everyone is isolated by the weather and geography.

iHeartCats

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
no
I'm a proud extravert. My parents are extraverts too, and I'm not ashamed of it!

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
To relate this to typology, do any of you think there's a significant difference between the ways Ji introverts and Pi introverts behave? Does one typically seem more or less extroverted to you? What about the introversion of Je and Pe extroverts?

I have always wondered what piece of evidence influenced the assumption that extroverts outnumber introverts in society. How was it measured? Did we count the social shut ins as introverts and the people who consent to ride the public hamster wheel of society as extroverts?

I think the difference is simply which realm you have more practice (and are more comfortable with) manipulating. Or "interacting" if the other word has too many bags.

I don't know if I agree that the world values extroversion more than introversion. I can see how either can be a boon or a curse depending on the environment. Or specific situation.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To relate this to typology, do any of you think there's a significant difference between the ways Ji introverts and Pi introverts behave? Does one typically seem more or less extroverted to you? What about the introversion of Je and Pe extroverts?

I have always wondered what piece of evidence influenced the assumption that extroverts outnumber introverts in society. How was it measured? Did we count the social shut ins as introverts and the people who consent to ride the public hamster wheel of society as extroverts?

I think the difference is simply which realm you have more practice (and are more comfortable with) manipulating. Or "interacting" if the other word has too many bags.

I don't know if I agree that the world values extroversion more than introversion. I can see how either can be a boon or a curse depending on the environment. Or specific situation.

This is an interesting thing...the Ji vs the Pi introverts. My instinct is to say that the Pi introverts are the more introverted.

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is an interesting thing...the Ji vs the Pi introverts. My instinct is to say that the Pi introverts are the more introverted.

You mean Pi as in Si/Ni dom or Pi as in being an IXXP?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Si/Ni dom

I would not be so sure about this.
Just give IxxJs a good goal/cause and you will see plenty of extroversion. However this will not be a nice "I like Your shoes" of extroversion.
I often think that biology made our kind to be the reserve power if everthing fails. Always there but never fully visable.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I would agree with this, it definitely matches my experience well. I've known several INTPs that I originally took for extroverts because in their comfort zone they end up being so incredibly animated and talkative. I think this makes sense if you consider the manifestation of Ne/Se compared to Fe/Te.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
no shame in

7PuNh0o.png

silly stuff​

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It makes sense that most people who spend a lot of time on the internet are introverts. I think about 50% of the population is introverted. I hung out with a lot of these "internet people" in school, and yes, they were all introverts. They were pretty much all intuitive as well.

Galaxy Gazer

Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The Ni introverts that I know are very "stereotypically" introverted. Most of them really love books, spend a lot of their time on sites like tumblr, take school/work really seriously, etc. As for Ji introverts, a lot of us only seem to fit the literal description of an introvert, meaning we gain energy from being alone and use energy in social interaction. I had a class with a very outspoken and talkative INFP once. I knew another one in high school who was extremely popular, but needed more time to herself than most of her friends. I've met a lot of INTPs and ISTPs who could talk for hours, but simply disliked crowds.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I read Susan Cain's book in my early 20s, and it really was a relief of sorts - it took away some of the "what is wrong with me" feeling. However, even then, I found myself annoyed by a fair amount of what she wrote. I took objection to the portrayal of extroverts as shallow and annoying. I didn't see extroverts that way at all. Extroverts didn't/don't annoy me, rather, the social expectation to be more extroverted can frustrate me.

I also didn't like the special snowflake angle, especially when it suggests asking for over-accommodating to the point of being as obnoxious as some extrovert who won't shut up. One suggestion was something like wearing a sign around your neck at work so people know if you are open/closed for talking (similar to a sig you might put on a door). Like, it's not going to kill me if a co-worker talks to me as I pass by... It almost seems attention-seeking rather than setting boundaries.

Because her book is not very Jungian influenced, all different types of introverts and extroverts get lumped together. I suspect she is an INFJ 4, and her description of extroverts all sound like extreme ESTP 3s or 7s. There is some association with introverts being more cautious or less risk-taking - possibly not true for many IxxPs, as I'd argue that cautiousness is more related to being a Pi-dom. Because of this, a fair amount of ExxJs strike me as rather cautious or more adverse to certain kinds of risks. And of course, plenty of extroverts are philosophical, intelligent, creative, have depth, etc. I really think it is this bias that confuses people, along with the absurd idea that extroverts wouldn't ever "recharge" by being alone, given it's a very human thing to need rest and quiet when overtaxed.

IMO, [MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION] 's explanation of I/E differences and spectrum to be much clearer. I also take into account the Jungian types and note a person's mental focus, which is often how to spot an ENxx type who otherwise may be incorrectly identified as an introvert. Still not a fan of hers, but I'll give credit to Vicky Jo for simply explaining how to spot introverted vs extroverted mentality as a focus of the thoughts, not necessarily whether the thoughts are vocalized or acted on.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I'd agree with this and with [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]'s read that this identification is based on exceptionalism, where people need to feel special and deep and will gravitate to labels with positive trait associations. We've all seen it before in the S vs N dichotomy. People who need to feel like they're deep and misunderstood because otherwise they'd be average and basic.

People are never average and basic as a whole. Someone might be average in one area, but has so much potential somewhere else. The only people who are average are those who are lying to themselves and trying to fit in.

I do think the U.S. is a culture that favor extraversion. Other countries might be different, but we generally see extraverts as "good" and introverts as "bad." How many times do you hear people, when talking about serial killers, say "it's always the quiet ones" ?

Regarding serial killers, I find this amusing:

I agree though. There's such stigma about not having very many friends, and being quiet, and keeping to yourself. "You only have five friends??? What's wrong with you! You must not be a very nice person!" Okay, no one has ever said that to me, but it's a vibe I pick up. But vibes can be inaccurate sometimes so ...

On the flip side though, high developed introverts can easily be mistaken for extraverts because when they first meet someone, they will be interacting with them primarily through their auxiliary extraverted function until the person has earned enough trust to be shown the introverted dominant function. I become super sweet, happy (acting), and outgoing whenever I'm around someone I distrust. -_- OH, you don't deserve my Ni, anymore. Okay ... you get Fe, mwuhahahahaha.
Also, I get mistaken for an extravert quite a bit because I know how to act outgoing and I can tell when people need me to be outgoing so that's what I do. Well, at least for a few hours, and then I just glare at the floor. xD

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
I read Susan Cain's book in my early 20s, and it really was a relief of sorts - it took away some of the "what is wrong with me" feeling. However, even then, I found myself annoyed by a fair amount of what she wrote. I took objection to the portrayal of extroverts as shallow and annoying. I didn't see extroverts that way at all. Extroverts didn't/don't annoy me, rather, the social expectation to be more extroverted can frustrate me.

I also didn't like the special snowflake angle, especially when it suggests asking for over-accommodating to the point of being as obnoxious as some extrovert who won't shut up. One suggestion was something like wearing a sign around your neck at work so people know if you are open/closed for talking (similar to a sig you might put on a door). Like, it's not going to kill me if a co-worker talks to me as I pass by... It almost seems attention-seeking rather than setting boundaries.

Because her book is not very Jungian influenced, all different types of introverts and extroverts get lumped together. I suspect she is an INFJ 4, and her description of extroverts all sound like extreme ESTP 3s or 7s. There is some association with introverts being more cautious or less risk-taking - possibly not true for many IxxPs, as I'd argue that cautiousness is more related to being a Pi-dom. Because of this, a fair amount of ExxJs strike me as rather cautious or more adverse to certain kinds of risks. And of course, plenty of extroverts are philosophical, intelligent, creative, have depth, etc. I really think it is this bias that confuses people, along with the absurd idea that extroverts wouldn't ever "recharge" by being alone, given it's a very human thing to need rest and quiet when overtaxed.

IMO, [MENTION=14857]labyrinthine[/MENTION] 's explanation of I/E differences and spectrum to be much clearer. I also take into account the Jungian types and note a person's mental focus, which is often how to spot an ENxx type who otherwise may be incorrectly identified as an introvert. Still not a fan of hers, but I'll give credit to Vicky Jo for simply explaining how to spot introverted vs extroverted mentality as a focus of the thoughts, not necessarily whether the thoughts are vocalized or acted on.

Yes I read one of her book too. I didn't like her interpretation of some of the types she wrote. She made extroverts sound like extreme type 7s. I also thought her MBTI must had been ENFP? I'm not sure exactly. I know she would have been some kind of NF.