• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why are millennials so miserable?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Legend has it that after he was exiled from the forum, after a brief period of roaming the vastness of the internet in search of another forum where he could shitpost and call home, he eventually was recruited by and has firmly settled into the role he was destined to fill -- lead op-ed contributor for CNBC and MSNBC, where he spends his days gleefully writing articles about how Millennials are bringing forth the collapse of the American economy because they don't eat at chain restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and Red Lobster.
I remember those. Red Lobster is decent.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Legend has it that after he was exiled from the forum, after a brief period of roaming the vastness of the internet in search of another forum where he could shitpost and call home, he eventually was recruited by and has firmly settled into the role he was destined to fill -- lead op-ed contributor for CNBC and MSNBC, where he spends his days gleefully writing articles about how Millennials are bringing forth the collapse of the American economy because they don't eat at chain restaurants like Applebee's, TGI Fridays, and Red Lobster.
I just recently tried Olive Garden. I never felt the need as I'm from a place with a fantastic food culture. Our favorite Italian place has waiters in tuxes and veal all over the menu. Needless to say the Olive Garden food was meh with far too much parmesan grating. I don't blame millennials for that, just a business model that thinks people want a buttload of parm on their food.

Last edited:

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
I forgot about the OP's annoying "I'm the millennial who hates other millenials" schtick.
I was active at the time, and, well, I've skipped this thread, but became interested again because of a reddit community called r/lostgeneration, which I know some or a few of members of this forum should be found of.

Answering now that he is banned doesn't count anymore, but I think today as I had read more stuff I find the way he uses the word science somewhat, I don't know, funny but at times angering? Even though a bunch of psychological sources does not do a good job at the word science either. A few pages back then he mentioned locus of control as the #1 factor for happiness with an article from psychology today (I do read that website sometimes) yet not a single of the studies compares the 'sizes' of happiness between anything that is not locus of control - like comparing with wealth, health, income, etc... versus locus of control. A few studies says locus of control relates to happiness and suddenly locus control is #1 of happiness, non-sense.

But since this thread revived, I'd put my two cents shortly saying here that global warming without a single doubt - is one of the factors for disgrace for futher generations starting on millenials which is my own.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was active at the time, and, well, I've skipped this thread, but became interested again because of a reddit community called r/lostgeneration, which I know some or a few of members of this forum should be found of.

Answering now that he is banned doesn't count anymore, but I think today as I had read more stuff I find the way he uses the word science somewhat, I don't know, funny but at times angering? Even though a bunch of psychological sources does not do a good job at the word science either. A few pages back then he mentioned locus of control as the #1 factor for happiness with an article from psychology today (I do read that website sometimes) yet not a single of the studies compares the 'sizes' of happiness between anything that is not locus of control - like comparing with wealth, health, income, etc... versus locus of control. A few studies says locus of control relates to happiness and suddenly locus control is #1 of happiness, non-sense.

But since this thread revived, I'd put my two cents shortly saying here that global warming without a single doubt - is one of the factors for disgrace for futher generations starting on millenials which is my own.
When I was younger and placed more importance on typology, I used to think that INTPs were more movable and could be convinced to see the truth much more readily than the other types. INTPs could have incorrect ideas because of how they were raised and their environment, but with time, they could be convinced to use their intellectual curiosity to discover the truth. If you could just get them exploring, why, then almost certainly they would arrive at the truth.

That concept I now think is extremely flawed, and I'm embarrassed by it. Among other things, it resulted in a tremendous waste of time on my part.

Reading his posts with the benefit of hindsight, I have no doubt in my mind that, INTP or not, if anticlimactic were still around, he would still conclude that global warming is not real (and probably complain about millenials while doing it). I think there's probably a certain set of behavioral codes imparted on someone from their environment during development that creates a worldview like that. It probably boils down to a list existing of certain things that it is ok to care about, and certain things it is not ok to care about. For instance, it's not acceptable to care about the environment, but it is acceptable to care about the flag. I'm not sure how you crack this deep-seated conditioning that probably started as children, and at this point, I'm not interested in undertaking such an endeavour, either.

Last edited:

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
Reading his posts with the benefit of hindsight, I have no doubt in my mind that, INTP or not, if anticlimactic were still around, he would still conclude that global warming is not real (and probably complain about millenials while doing it). I think there's probably a certain set of behavioral codes imparted on someone from their environment during development that creates a worldview like that. It probably boils down to a list existing of certain things that it is ok to care about, and certain things it is not ok to care about. For instance, it's not acceptable to care about the environment, but it is acceptable to care about the flag. I'm not sure how you crack this deep-seated conditioning that probably started as children, and at this point, I'm not interested in undertaking such an endeavour, either.
We don't have really enough information to even prototype a conclusion. Anticlimatic was here basically for politics - different than you and me who appears on non-politic threads. He didn't have anything posted on threads about major systems with facets - like big five, hexaco or mbti with facets - or at least I don't recall him doing so. I don't recall him ever telling some past story of his with depth as well. So we don't really know much about him, only about his views.

Also, this 'INTP = truth' is actually one of the brutal MBTI flaws (its somewhat inside 'Thinker=truth' flaw) which I know in some depth, but I don't really like to mention it on typology forum's in order not only to get people mad but also because the MBTI is surprisingly a trademark and all copyrighted in the first place - so for example 16P doesn't really use the expression - different than the enneagram that in majority except by some details it is not.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
We don't have really enough information to even prototype a conclusion. Anticlimatic was here basically for politics - different than you and me who appears on non-politic threads. He didn't have anything posted on threads about major systems with facets - like big five, hexaco or mbti with facets - or at least I don't recall him doing so. I don't recall him ever telling some past story of his with depth as well. So we don't really know much about him, only about his views.

Also, this 'INTP = truth' is actually one of the brutal MBTI flaws (its somewhat inside 'Thinker=truth' flaw) which I know in some depth, but I don't really like to mention it on typology forum's in order not only to get people mad but also because the MBTI is surprisingly a trademark and all copyrighted in the first place - so for example 16P doesn't really use the expression - different than the enneagram that in majority except by some details it is not.
He was someone that was pissed off he wasted his time getting an education (because more education is apparently a flaw and a liberal invention) a girlfriend who espoused left ideas (he lived in N. Michigan, not much in the way of choices let alone other voices) and was convinced the only way forward was making as much money minus values or a moral compass, as possible.

He also felt people should come live where he did, because it was better (according to him) specifically because it wasn't a city or diverse area that might muddy the waters. And as long as they agreed with his right wing principals (he called himself a libertarian but all libertarians turn right - see Argentina if you need further clarification) and towed the line with white conservative politics in a white conservative area, anyone was "welcome". In fact, he once mentioned a person turning that down and could not understand why.

He was here to either meet women or to piss off liberals. Same as Disco Biscuit, same as all the antisemites and right wing hateful people that showed up after Trump's election. It's all the same person - very little in the way of variation or nuance because once a person puts on the victim mentality and persecution complex of the right hat - that gives them ample permission to say and do whatever they like and, since someone "harmed" them to begin with, their behavior should and often is, excused or ignored.

His behavior and ultimate permaban is a good example of the paradox of tolerance, something that would be helpful for more to understand.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
You can say anything you want about INTPs IMO. I'm not that attached to Typology, and I have much bigger problems to worry about. But yes, I think my reasoning was flawed. I made the assumption that because I could reason myself out of some flawed ideas that anyone else who was an INTP could, or would.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ceecee said:
He was someone that was pissed off he wasted his time getting an education (because more education is apparently a flaw and a liberal invention) a girlfriend who espoused left ideas (he lived in N. Michigan, not much in the way of choices let alone other voices) and was convinced the only way forward was making as much money minus values or a moral compass, as possible.
I remember he was always going on about his girlfriend. I don’t remember that he had a degree (this surprises me honestly), or that he thought the only way forward was money without a moral compass.

I do sometimes feel that my degree was worthless because of what I’m dealing with now. That being said within the past few weeks, it’s seemed less that my degree was worthless (I have used and still think about a lot of the things I studied), and just that I made one or two poor choices. I picked the wrong major in retrospect and the only way to correct that is another Bachelor's which I can’t possibly do; it’s not like I have rich parents to support me while I pursue infinite degrees. I also felt that I picked the wrong peer group when I felt I was faced between the need to make an unambiguous choice. What if you had to choose between sports and being interested in local/national/international affairs on this website?

I’m reminded of Hannah Arendt and the banality of evil and I can see how this can apply in other contexts.

I consider changing careers at times (it doesn’t help that mine is stalled at the moment), but I’m not sure how I even do this. None of my experience really sets me up to do anything else. I don’t know how I can get a retail position and I would probably be considered overqualified for anything like that, for instance.
He was here to either meet women or to piss off liberals. Same as Disco Biscuit, same as all the antisemites and right wing hateful people that showed up after Trump's election. It's all the same person - very little in the way of variation or nuance because once a person puts on the victim mentality and persecution complex of the right hat - that gives them ample permission to say and do whatever they like and, since someone "harmed" them to begin with, their behavior should and often is, excused or ignored.

I think many guys were probably here to meet women (among other reasons). It always seemed like more of the latter from him. I never saw him try to flirt with anybody or orbit anybody or anything like that.

I agree that they all seemed like the same person. That is extremely weird. Maybe it’s related to the fact that despite a hatred of collectivism they conceive of themselves as belonging to a group of white males, first and foremost.

His behavior and ultimate permaban is a good example of the paradox of tolerance, something that would be helpful for more to understand.

I was skeptical of the paradox of tolerance, but not so much now. I remember that shitshow in 2016 and I assume somebody must have opened the floodgates and pointed them here from some other forum.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I remember he was always going on about his girlfriend. I don’t remember that he had a degree (this surprises me honestly), or that he thought the only way forward was money without a moral compass.

I do sometimes feel that my degree was worthless because of what I’m dealing with now. That being said within the past few weeks, it’s seemed less that my degree was worthless (I have used and still think about a lot of the things I studied), and just that I made one or two poor choices. I picked the wrong major in retrospect and the only way to correct that is another Bachelor's which I can’t possibly do; it’s not like I have rich parents to support me while I pursue infinite degrees. I also felt that I picked the wrong peer group when I felt I was faced between the need to make an unambiguous choice. What if you had to choose between sports and being interested in local/national/international affairs on this website?

I’m reminded of Hannah Arendt and the banality of evil and I can see how this can apply in other contexts.

I consider changing careers at times (it doesn’t help that mine is stalled at the moment), but I’m not sure how I even do this. None of my experience really sets me up to do anything else. I don’t know how I can get a retail position and I would probably be considered overqualified for anything like that, for instance.

I think many guys were probably here to meet women (among other reasons). It always seemed like more of the latter from him. I never saw him try to flirt with anybody or orbit anybody or anything like that.

I agree that they all seemed like the same person. That is extremely weird. Maybe it’s related to the fact that despite a hatred of collectivism they conceive of themselves as belonging to a group of white males, first and foremost.

I was skeptical of the paradox of tolerance, but not so much now. I remember that shitshow in 2016 and I assume somebody must have opened the floodgates and pointed them here from some other forum.
I don't use my degree formally for my job but I know I use a lot of the more practical things and having a management degree offers more flexibility. But I've never once regretted having more education. People don't have to have formal schooling of course but the real distain for education and the sustained attacks on it in the US are just mental. I don't think you need another degree, I think you should look beyond jobs themselves and find something that really grabs you. Then look for the job within it. There are so many bullshit jobs out there and I don't really mean that negatively. I mean if you can find a niche you love, I'm betting there's a job that goes with it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't use my degree formally for my job but I know I use a lot of the more practical things and having a management degree offers more flexibility. But I've never once regretted having more education. People don't have to have formal schooling of course but the real distain for education and the sustained attacks on it in the US are just mental. I don't think you need another degree, I think you should look beyond jobs themselves and find something that really grabs you. Then look for the job within it. There are so many bullshit jobs out there and I don't really mean that negatively. I mean if you can find a niche you love, I'm betting there's a job that goes with it.
I think this is good advice. That being said, how do you get an interview with the people hiring? What do you do if you don't have most of the skills to go with it?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think this is good advice. That being said, how do you get an interview with the people hiring? What do you do if you don't have most of the skills to go with it?
I would say do your research on the company/non-profit well. Then see what skills you have that are transferable - you have skills and there is no reason you can't tell them how those skills relate to the job you're applying for - instead of the other way around. I would also research those idiotic questions like - why do you want to work here and tell me about a time you had to solve a problem and how you did that. I think the biggest thing that gets overlooked is a real willingness to learn and enthusiasm.

I entered a field I never worked in and had 0 experience with. But I wanted to get out of healthcare and I was very willing to learn. And I already had a degree -so did every single one of my coworkers in all kinds of fields. It didn't matter, what did matter is that everyone made a commitment to getting their degree. That commitment speaks loudly to people doing the hiring.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I would say do your research on the company/non-profit well. Then see what skills you have that are transferable - you have skills and there is no reason you can't tell them how those skills relate to the job you're applying for - instead of the other way around. I would also research those idiotic questions like - why do you want to work here and tell me about a time you had to solve a problem and how you did that. I think the biggest thing that gets overlooked is a real willingness to learn and enthusiasm.
How do you get to the interview stage, though, instead of having your resume immediately thrown out because there isn't enough experience?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
total meritocracy is actually kind of a terrible idea. I don't think we live in a true meritocracy. While it may beat nepotism and other forms of favoritism, I do believe enthusiasm, drive and other factors can make up for a lack of experience and credentials. I've changed my mind a lot on this. I used to exclusively believe in hiring people on the basis of their experience and credentials, but at some point I realized my resume was somewhat lacking and had to hone my interview skills. I'd be a hypocrite to still hold the same views I used to on meritocrcy, since there have been more than one times I was selected for positions when I may not have had the strongest resume. In a purely meritocratic society, I would have never gotten those job offers, and I am glad the hiring managers were able to look between the lines of my spotty experience and see me as a strong candidate based on factors more difficult to make tangible on an application or resume.

So I think it's terrible that some businesses and non-profits will go so far as to not even meet with a candidate if their resume isn't checking off every single box. I wonder how many talented, driven people have been overlooked and held back due to this approach.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This is where networking outside of work comes into play also. Your friend/buddy/acquaintance will vouch for you where as to a stranger, you're just another resume. You need to be able to be friendsly with people who are where you want to be.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
a job with a high turnover rate ime tends be willing to forgo your resume if you make enough of an impression when you meet them. But those jobs have high turnover for a reason so be advised.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a job with a high turnover rate ime tends be willing to forgo your resume if you make enough of an impression when you meet them. But those jobs have high turnover for a reason so be advised.
I think I may have had such a job at one point.

Tomb1

I always liked breaking the rules of protocol so I would just call up and push for an interview. First i would request...if they are not receptive then there's nothing to lose by getting pushy about it. I wouldn't want to sit around waiting for a call back. This approach has worked best for me when I've gotten to talk with the owner directly...All you need is one bite. One bite out of ten is enough. The nine that say no don't matter...it's their loss. That's the way I look at it.