• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your "kindred spirit foursome"?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shadow Play said:
The INs are my pick for kindred spirits. ENTP would be my best fit type that's not an IN.

I'll echo this.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I don't particularly identify with any of Jung's types. I was only assuming Ni-Ti as a type for the sake of argument

Ok, a mistake on my part.

and I could just as easily argue ENFP or ENTJ using the so-called "nu-MBTI" of quasi-Jungian functions within the Grant function stack (or Beebe's eight function stack, which you prefer to use). Functions are flexible enough where people can shoehorn themselves into them however they want. It's been my experience that a lot of members of typology forums don't identify well with the purported function stacks for their type.

I don't think of MBTI types as archetypes in the Jungian sense. An INTP is someone who generally prefers I, N, T, and P responses on dichotomies tests when answering in "shoes off" mode. That's all. This opens up room for all the possible non-MBTI-related variation between personalities.

I understand the cognitive functions to be essentially discrete (but interacting) modes of cognition, which tend to have a sequential manifestation in one of 16 possible standard orderings (though can be used in non-standard orderings as well).

I'm not defining types as being related to test scores, and someone of any of the 16 cognitive function types could potentially score as any of the 16 types on a test.

A Jungian archetype is a mental image present in the collective unconscious, one which an Introverted Sensing type would engage through their reality-challenged abstractions. Sensory impressions (such as facial features) may be internalised and used as the basis for constructing these archetypes which exist only in their minds, and cannot be made understandable to others.

Good luck trying to find any consensus on how best to define your archetypes. Half of all function discussions involve bickering over how best to define the functions. "Let's use Jung's definitions!" "No, let's define functions based on which types they correspond with according to their function stacks!" "Socionics is so much better!"

Ok, I can sort of see how building templates from experience of how a type is expected to look would be Si-related, but given that it's a visual identification of a theoretical construct, it uses both intuition and sensing. Si is certainly a weak point for me.

There's much debate over who is or is not one type or another. In time, this should begin to be cleared up. I'd prefer to investigate the reality of the phenomenon though, rather than making do with test scores, which are a flimsy indicator of the underlying reality.

(test scores measure how a person sees themself, not how their mind actually works)

Shadow Play

I understand the cognitive functions to be essentially discrete (but interacting) modes of cognition, which tend to have a sequential manifestation in one of 16 possible orderings (though can be used in non-standard orderings as well).

Yes, and function ordering is devised in such a way to allow functionistas to have their cake and eat it, too. They can argue for preferred functions when it suits them, and they can explain away inconsistencies in preference when it suits them. This all assumes that mental processes (aka 'the functions') have to follow any kind of order at all.

I'm not defining types as being related to test scores, and someone of any of the 16 cognitive function types could potentially score as any of the 16 types on a test.

Fair enough, although why even bother using the four letters as labels? Why not call an 'INFJ' Ni-Fe-Ti-Se, and in doing so, avoid mixing up two different typologies into one thing?

Ok, I can sort of see how building templates from experience of how a type is expected to look would be Si-related, but given that it's a visual identification of a theoretical construct, it uses both intuition and sensing. Si is certainly a weak point for me.

Needing to use any visual identifications for rendering the abstract is Jungian Introverted Sensing. When you say 'Si' is a weak point, do you mean things characteristic of SJs, instead? See the problem of intertwining contradictory systems?

There's much debate over who is or is not one type or another. In time, this should begin to be cleared up. I'd prefer to investigate the reality of the phenomenon though, rather than making do with test scores, which are a flimsy indicator of the underlying reality.

And test scores "are a flimsy indicator of the underlying reality" where the far more subjective function theory is not because... ?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yes, and function ordering is devised in such a way to allow functionistas to have their cake and eat it, too. They can argue for preferred functions when it suits them, and they can explain away inconsistencies in preference when it suits them. This all assumes that mental processes (aka 'the functions') have to follow any kind of order at all.

I make that assumption because I observed it to be the case.

Fair enough, although why even bother using the four letters as labels? Why not call an 'INFJ' Ni-Fe-Ti-Se, and in doing so, avoid mixing up two different typologies into one thing?

Because that's how the labels are used. I could also say NiFe, as that's another label that is used. My main problem with the labels like "INFJ" is that the letter "J" is misleading because despite standing for "Judging" it is not referring to types whose dominant function is one of the 4 judgement functions, and thus is a problematic convention to have been adopted.

Needing to use any visual identifications of rendering the abstract is Jungian Introverted Sensing. When you say 'Si' is a weak point, do you mean things characteristic of SJs, instead? See the problem of intertwining contradictory systems?

I mean that I am not a strong user of the introverted sensing function in comparison to my use of the other functions.

And test scores "are a flimsy indicator of the underlying reality" where the far more subjective function theory is not because... ?

As I added to the end of my post, test scores are self-assessments which measure how a person sees themself. In order to understand what a type is, you need to identify the cognitive functions actually being used by a person, and so need to understand what it means to say that a function is manifesting.

The assumption here is that cognitive functions are a real thing (although "thing" might refer to a pattern) that can be directly studied through observing people.

LittleCat

Off to new adventures
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Possibly FPs. IPs are cool too. I feel understood by some members of both of these groups and I love how we encourage each other to stay weird!
As for the additional type outside of the foursome, I don't know. Whatever type my cat is :D

Shadow Play

I make that assumption because I observed it to be the case.

Because your anecdotal experience somehow makes it true.

Because that's how the labels are used. I could also say NiFe, as that's another label that is used. My main problem with the labels like "INFJ" is that the letter "J" is misleading because despite standing for "Judging" it is not referring to types whose dominant function is one of the 4 judgement functions, and thus is a problematic convention to have been adopted.

Yes, Myer's inconsistent labelling of IJs and IPs as Pi and Ji types, respectively, is a problem, but that doesn't change the fact that choosing J or P responses would make you show up on the data as a J or P, were your results to be used for comparison between types. Also, the Grant and Beebe stacks are neither Myer's stack nor the stack officially endorsed by the MBTI. The official stack for an INFJ is Ni-Fe-Te-Se, so you couldn't claim to be a Ti user on that basis.

I mean that I am not a strong user of the introverted sensing function in comparison to my use of the other functions.

I see.

As I added to the end of my post, test scores are self-assessments which measure how a person sees themself. In order to understand what a type is, you need to identify the cognitive functions actually being used by a person, and so need to understand what it means to say that a function is manifesting.

The assumption here is that cognitive functions are a real thing (although "thing" might refer to a pattern) that can be directly studied through observing people.

Right, so you infer types through observing behaviour in others. How is that an advantage over the MBTI tests?

It's not logical to work under the assumption that functions are real. They need to first be tested under the assumption that they could be falsifiable.

Shadow Play

Possibly FPs. IPs are cool too. I feel understood by some members of both of these groups and I love how we encourage each other to stay weird!
As for the additional type outside of the foursome, I don't know. Whatever type my cat is :D

Cats are obvious ISTPs. You have your own miniature killing machine who brings you dead birds and rodents as gifts. :)

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Because your anecdotal experience somehow makes it true.
It's not logical to work under the assumption that functions are real. They need to first be tested under the assumption that they could be falsifiable.

I'm investigating the phenomenon to uncover its nature. I'll do it my way, you do it yours.

Yes, Myer's inconsistent labelling of IJs and IPs as Pi and Ji types, respectively, is a problem, but that doesn't change the fact that choosing J or P responses would make you show up on the data as a J or P, were your results to be used for comparison between types. Also, the Grant and Beebe stacks are neither Myer's stack nor the stack officially endorsed by the MBTI. The official stack for an INFJ is Ni-Fe-Te-Se, so you couldn't claim to be a Ti user on that basis.

Well, I use the terminology for the forums. I just go by INFJ=Ni-Fe-Ti-Se convention because I figure that's what people will best understand, as well as being useful in describing groupings like this thread is doing.

I don't study the statistical data, and in my notebooks I often just write down the full function order, which is the one which my observation has revealed to be the correct one.

Right, so you infer types through observing behaviour in others. How is that an advantage over the MBTI tests?

Because a person who is a particular type could score as any type in a test. I sometimes use test scores to get a feel for whether a person is imbalanced or not and what those imbalances might be, or at least to note their biases in how they see themself.

It's... quite clearly an advantage, as long as I know what I'm doing. Directly observing something, compared to asking questions to see if a person thinks that's how they are or not. I don't know why it's not apparent, but I can't just reorient your mind to know what I'm saying.

cacaia

MBTI Type
NF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I really like NTs and am drawn to them. I can goof off and have a good time with nfs, too. So, I guess, my foursome would be:INTP, ENFP, INFP, INTJ.

Shadow Play

My answer has long been the INs, and the recycled reckful in the spoiler explains why.

The MBTI Manual also shows that E-I x S-N is by far the most significant pair in predicting personality differences.

UIGpoh7.jpg

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
The MBTI Manual also shows that E-I x S-N is by far the most significant pair in predicting personality differences.

UIGpoh7.jpg

The reason that J-P is such a poor predictor is probably because it's the most poorly designed set of test items in terms of correspondance to the types, as defined by cognitive functions.

If it was measured properly, it may well become the most predictive test dichotomy (especially with 2-way interactions), or I suspect so at least.

--

The reason being...

Assume that the test items are validly constructed in such a way that an INFJ score correlates most strongly with the NiFe type, and so on for the other types, and thus assume that the predictive level of each dichotomy has a correspondance to its effect on the functions.

Let's compare INFJ/NiFe with the 4 types which differ by one dichotomy:

INFJ to ENFJ = NiFe to FeNi (same functions, different order)
INFJ to ISFJ = NiFe to SiFe (primary function changed, secondary function the same)
INFJ to INTJ = NiFe to NiTe (primary function the same, secondary function changed)
INFJ to INFP = NiFe to FiNe (both functions changed, with perception and judgement switching places)

Clearly the change from J to P results in the greatest change, as it's the only single-letter switch which changes both functions.

The same applies to any other chosen type, due to the symmetry in type definitions.

As such, it becomes a reasonable prediction that the J-P switch would be highly predictive.

Further analysis may identify the dichotomy as less predictive than it seems at first, due to the wide variety present in J types, for instance, although this is only a possibility until further analysis is performed.

Another reason that the J-P dichotomy may not be as predictive as it seems, is as a result of the "secondary types hypothesis", A.K.A the "multi-type hypothesis", of which a preliminary result is that types differing by only the J-P dichotomy are the most correlated, from a multi-type perspective.

--

And now! An analysis of my analysis...

The above example shows the mathematical process, as applied to typology, as performed by an INFJ.

The assumption first mentioned represents the validation of a transformation, or perspective shift, an example of Ni. This is followed by a populating maneuvre, with a resulting analysis of relationships between items, an example of Fe.

The mention of symmetry suggests Ti, although the reasons for the symmetry were not outlined. The conclusion is probably related to Se, although seems to lack clear identifying markers apart from its concreteness.

The further mention of possible other interpretations is the call to the unconscious, in this case Ne.

The final line, mentioning the secondary types hypothesis, was a later addition, with uncertainty regarding which function it represents, though likely is one of INFJ's unconscious functions (Te?).

--

Critique of something generally represents the Shadow, in fact. It's climbing up the "hierarchy of the unconscious" as Jung put it, and so going from the action of the persona, to the anti-thesis of the shadow.

It metas and then metas again, so meta.

Shadow Play

The reason that J-P is such a poor predictor is probably because it's the most poorly designed set of test items in terms of correspondance to the types, as defined by cognitive functions.

cover2.jpg

Yeah, J/P supposedly flips all your functions and turns you into a completely different type. Whatever.

Critique of something generally represents the Shadow, in fact. It's climbing up the "hierarchy of the unconscious" as Jung put it, and so going from the action of the persona, to the anti-thesis of the shadow.

It metas and then metas again, so meta.

Are you just trolling at this point?

Shadow Play

No and I don't know why you think that.

Are you?

It's hard to tell at times, Poe's law coming into play and all. "Critique of something generally represents the Shadow" suggests a possible dig about my username (which you capitalised), followed by a joke about being meta. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun.

I'm bored with this discussion, anyways.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It's hard to tell at times, Poe's law coming into play and all. "Critique of something generally represents the Shadow" suggests a possible dig about my username (which you capitalised), followed by a joke about being meta. Maybe I'm just jumping the gun.

I'm bored with this discussion, anyways.

The shadow is a Jungian concept, as I'm sure you're aware. I noticed after writing it that it also happened to be linked to your username and posted it anyway, but the comment was just a note about how I understand things.

(the meta line may have had a comical tone, but I was being clever in response to my own writing, not attacking you)

Shadow Play

The shadow is a Jungian concept, as I'm sure you're aware. I noticed after writing it that it also happened to be linked to your username and posted it anyway, but the comment was just a note about how I understand things.

(the meta line may have had a comical tone, but I was being clever in response to my own writing, not attacking you)

Yeah, that's partly why I chose my username in the first place.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yeah, that's partly why I chose my username in the first place.

So were you aware of the association between the shadow and the process of critique?

Even if you were, others may not be, and I'm posting for a broader audience.

Shadow Play

So were you aware of the association between the shadow and the process of critique?

Even if you were, others may not be, and I'm posting for a broader audience.

I'm aware that the shadow contains the parts of the psyche repressed by the conscious into the unconscious. The shadow archetype could project a certain attitude in the right situation, but "process of critique" doesn't seem to be an apt term to describe it.

Jung said:
The projection-making factor (the Shadow archetype) then has a free hand and can realize its object—if it has one—or bring about some other situation characteristic of its power.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I'm aware that the shadow contains the parts of the psyche repressed by the conscious into the unconscious. The shadow archetype could project a certain attitude in the right situation, but "process of critique" doesn't seem to be an apt term to describe it.

The shadow is just the beginning of the unconscious. As I mentioned, there is a hierarchy of the unconscious, where the shadow leads to the anima/animus, which leads to the wise old man/woman, which leads to the self, which leads to...

Each step on the ladder represents a higher perspective than the step before. The shadow sees further than the persona, but each archetype beyond the shadow sees further than it.

What I was representing in my post at the top of the page* was the activity of the persona, being critiqued by the shadow, which was then moved to a further level by my anima.

--

edit: * The section starting with "The reason being..." is presumably the persona, with the "And now! An analysis of my analysis..." being shadow, and "Critique of something..." being anima.

Last edited:

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
definitely xxFP, i’ve always felt the most comfortable with and similar to fellow FPs.

IxxP(demeanor) and xNxP(thought process) tied for second. i’m allergic to judgers but also occasionally allergic to NTs.