• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's your geek composition?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not one of the sea of sweaty masses at Comi-Con, or some vinyl monkey who won't shut up about his favorite underground psych-rock band, or they guy who goes to the bar to talk to strangers about his favorite programming language. I'm parts of all of those things. My heartfelt apologies to those die hard 100% if you think this means being a fair-weather geek, but not really. Here's the breakdown:

30% Science-Fiction (Heavily slanted towards written Golden Age: Asimov, Heinlein, Bradbury, etc)
20% Music (Only stuff I care about weird schtuff, Folk-ey psych, and cultural milestones)
20% Otaku (Srs stuff and slice of life and strange comedy)
20% Tech (I like to make things)
10% Fantasy (Arthurian, Celtic, anything that convinces me that life is magic.)

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I kind of want to talk about geeky things in a social context, and I don't see why some people attach a stigma to it. It's weird, especially because INTPcomplex was filled with people who did that kind of thing and stigmatized it.

There was a guy who had a whole collection of Transformers toys and then sneered about how the forum was filled with asocial dorks, and that he was above such lowly discussions about Star Wars and Game of Throne . Then his wife divorced him and he wailed about how horrible that was now that he was alone. He refused any attempts to comfort him other than that of his best bro.

It reminded me of Dark Helmet.

I enjoy discussing these topics. What someone likes is relatively unimportant.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kind of want to talk about geeky things in a social context, and I don't see why some people attach a stigma to it. It's weird, especially because INTPcomplex was filled with people who did that kind of thing.

There was a guy who had a whole collection of Transformers toys and then sneered about dorks. It reminds me of Dark Helmet.

More social INTPs like to connect with people on this level. This is why memes, Family Guy, Catan. The Internetz has a decided INTP flavor. My geekdom is more of a internal exploration.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
More social INTPs like to connect with people on this level. This is why memes, Family Guy, Catan. The Internetz has a decided INTP flavor. My geekdom is more of a internal exploration.

We're on the internet.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What kind of geek are you?

An omnivorous one, and that's the only label I need. I've read philosophers and religious texts, laughed at crass humor, participated in scientific research and social rabble-rousing. I'll discuss comic book movies with my coworkers, or pore over the details of Star Trek on TypoC. I'll read classic literature and watch B-movies.

Axwell

MBTI Type
IXTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
40% music (hip hop and electronic, vinyl is cool)
40% tech (I guess gaming counts as tech)
20% movies (old movies, especially westerns!)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
40% obsessively researching things that interest me

20% pop culture references relevant to my age and older

20% literature (this woman has her priorities straight!)

and the other percents are somewhat split between music, movies and a desire to jump captain picard... not sure how the percentage breakdown there should go :laugh:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
40% obsessively researching things that interest me

20% pop culture references relevant to my age and older

20% literature (this woman has her priorities straight!)

and the other percents are somewhat split between music, movies and a desire to jump captain picard... not sure how the percentage breakdown there should go :laugh:

Haha, so your dream is a threesome with the ghost of Ray Bradbury and Picard? I approve.

I'd even consider it.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Catan is amazing, just had to say that. Minesweeper, blokus, risk(less so), and others I can't quite think of, outstanding games. So more of a board gamer, reader- generally classical literature but not always, dabbler in writing and music, and - definite fan of slightly and obcenely crass humor-to an extent though with this, a far out extent but still.

But...

View attachment 14309

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Catan is amazing, just had to say that. Minesweeper, blokus, risk(less so), outstanding games. So more of a board gamer, reader- generally classical literature but not always, dabbler in writing and music, and - definite fan of slightly and obcenely crass humor-to an extent though with this, a far out extent but still.

But...

View attachment 14307

:p It's organized religion all over again. There is no priest of the geek that will bestow cred up on you. You shine with geekery according to passion.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
40% language/culture
30% music
30% spirituality/humanity

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My geekdom is all-encompassing. I like sci-fi and fantasy, but I also love reading about science and history, and watching documentaries about the same. I have a history crush on Nikola Tesla, as crazy as he was. I guess you could say I'm addicted to learning in general. Since I was a kid, I have always read dictionaries and encyclopedias for fun. I love learning new words. And new recipes. I love cooking, because it's like science you can eat.

I'm also a big fan of classical music, and classic literature. I was in the drama club in high school, and that's when I fell in love with Shakespeare. I can still remember several monologues.

And I love comics. A lot.

Yeah. Pretty much all-encompassing.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
40% language/culture
30% music
30% spirituality/humanity

These are actually the reasons that I geek out on what I geek out on. For me, (good) sci-fi is a great format to think about the borders and possibilities of human society, and fantasy is a good way to identify internal transcendent themes. My interest in Japanese media has always been to have something to counterpoint my own experience as a Westerner in North America. And you know, music is life.

Duffy

So is a Geek someone who is into something obsessively, like an enthusiast of sorts?

90% girls
10 % everything else

j/k.

I don't know if I can divide my interests properly or even qualify as Geek. I have times where I'm really into something, but then it goes away. When I was younger, I used to follow basketball a lot. Read everything I can about it, the players, positions, scouting, salary cap requirements, game theory, blah blah. I was also really into the wwe at an even younger age. I had a bit of a "Se" streak you could say, which surprised me because I actually hated sports prior. Was also really into anime, sci-fi, fantasy, video games, art, and playing card games.

Much of those interests died down. My current interests and obsessions involve psychology and philosophy (I lump typology, spirituality, and other esoteric topics within this category). Also, cars...fast cars are my focus for past year or so, but we'll see how long that one lasts. Lastly, I'd include music and concept art.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
110% Harry Potter
100%Anime Conventions
100% Cosplay
100% D.C.
100% Reading