• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Was it acceptable for the SEAL that killed bin Laden to "canoe" his corpse?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm not speaking for it I'm speaking about it.
You are doing both, in making a blanket statement that many people would disagree with or consider does not apply.

Irrelevant in any case, as nothing either of us was describing had anything to do with the pollyanna trope, something we both seem to lack patience for.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
You are doing both, in making a blanket statement that many people would disagree with or consider does not apply.

Irrelevant in any case, as nothing either of us was describing had anything to do with the pollyanna trope, something we both seem to lack patience for.
How does me positing a theory of the world make you assume I speak for you unless you are inable to come up with a sufficiently convincing theory to counter it, and are thus rendered silent.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
The only way my explanation speaks for you is if you buy into my framing which you are free to not do.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The only way my explanation speaks for you is if you buy into my framing which you are free to not do.
I stand corrected. You were trying to speak for everyone. Of course most folks know better than to buy into that. At least you have moved on from the Pollyanna strawman. Perhaps we can both/all get back to the topic at hand - perspectives on masculinity, and the appropriate use of gratuitous violence.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I stand corrected. You were trying to speak for everyone. Of course most folks know better than to buy into that. At least you have moved on from the Pollyanna strawman. Perhaps we can both/all get back to the topic at hand - perspectives on masculinity, and the appropriate use of gratuitous violence.
Fuck polyanna.

You can construct a new mental political rubrik to explain todays goings on like I have, and then argue for that rubrik.

We can then have a debate about where the proper border between those two rubriks should be, on the assumption that the location of that border after argument by both sides approximates something like truth.

Or you can keep borrowing your understanding of the world from others.

Specifically others who were once able to describe it accurately but the change of time has rendered them now unable to do so.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fuck polyanna.

You can construct a new mental political rubrik to explain todays goings on like I have, and then argue for that rubrik.

We can then have a debate about where the proper border between those two rubriks should be, on the assumption that the location of that border after argument by both sides approximates something like truth.

Or you can keep borrowing your understanding of the world from others.

Specifically others who were once able to describe it accurately but the change of time has rendered them now unable to do so.
A false dichotomy. I can develop my understanding without engaging in any sort of discussion with you. I'd prefer to spend most of my time engaging with the world more directly, to help effect the change I consider important.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
A false dichotomy. I can develop my understanding without engaging in any sort of discussion with you. I'd prefer to spend most of my time engaging with the world more directly, to help effect the change I consider important.
Then why argue with me over something as meaningless as this?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then why argue with me over something as meaningless as this?
I could ask the same of you. I do tend to take issue with broad brush pronouncements and discussing in bad faith. I just have been too busy to engage much here over the past months.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I have said before what I desire is the satisfaction from the process of argumentation.

Something that must now come from first principles.

yeghor

I have said before what I desire is the satisfaction from the process of argumentation.

Something that must now come from first principles.

That form of unempathic and wrathful masculinity you say that is being banished from the present day society, is I guess an expression of your primary and secondary functions. So you feel your way of living and your needs are being suppressed/invalidated by the values of the new world/order and society is becoming weaker, feminized/emasculated and vulnerable to external and more masculine aggressors.

Using your tertiary and auxiliary functions to reassess your position might provide you with some more insight into this situation and give you a more wholistic understanding as to what kind of damage that kind of masculinity can cause internally to the society if left unchecked or allowed to prevail.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Or is this a gender thread now?

And we're going wherever the discussion takes us I guess.

Nah. That derail is done. Here on out, stick to the OP or the rest of the thread’s done, too.
If the discussion participants want the other track of conversation to continue/have its own thread, I’m more than happy to create one. Otherwise— I don’t need to say it again, right?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1662568759781.gif

Here, I’ll [re]start:

Security shots makes sense. Intentional mutilation of a corpse is sadistic, pointless, and inexcusable. It doesn’t send any sort of useful message to enemy combatants, imo. It just makes us look like monsters. Casualties are an unfortunate reality in war, and thus expected. However, we should expect better of ourselves than to compound that with needless acts like “canoeing.”

Also, that term just sounds stupid & I might as well be opposed on that basis alone.

Tomb1

Tactical sadism carries utility in warfare (sometimes great utility), but canoeing does not carry any such utility. Canoeing occurs when the terrorist is already dead. Given that these guys belong to a fringe extremist outfit that thinks its a good thing to blow one's self up in public places and fly planes into buildings, they don't care about the integrity or unity of their corpse, but rather believe in their own secured spot in paradise for jihad of the sword. So I do not believe that it would phase the garden-variety terrorist to know that if captured and killed they stand to be canoe'd....so to me its just a waste of ammunition.