• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

True Detective

rav3n

Episode 5 was pretty decent. There was some physical activity, some advancement in the case theories, and the last 15 minutes or so was on par with that earlier restaurant scene between Wade and Amelia, from a character perspective.

rav3n

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

rav3n

rav3n

Wish it was Sunday night, right now. Really looking forward to how this unfolds in the next two episodes.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Wish it was Sunday night, right now. Really looking forward to how this unfolds in the next two episodes.

Same

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only ten minutes in on episode 7... but damn, that's a hell of an opener.

----

I thought I recognized hoyt's voice.

rav3n

[MENTION=7]Totenkindly[/MENTION]

Hive

hypersane
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Right now I'm not sure the pedo angle is correct at all. It is mentioned the Hoyts have been very unlucky with regards to family. Isabel Hoyt lost her daughter which made her crazy. Towards the end of the episode, Hoyt tells Wayne on the phone "It's lucky having a family". Obviously Watts and Isabel were the mixed race couple meeting the children in the woods. And correct me if I'm wrong here, but my impression is that Julie doesn't seem to have been particularly traumatized by the Hoyts - her distress have been more aimed towards Tom. At this point it seems more like Isabel used Julie as a surrogate daughter, possibly paying Lucy for it, and made Julie the "princess of the pink rooms". Something happened during one of these regular meetings resulting in Will's death, forcing Isabel and Watts to kidnap Julie to cover things up. (Or perhaps this is what Isabel planned in order to keep Julie in the pink rooms permanently instead of meeting sporadically.) If Watts was the black man who showed up at Amelia's book reading (quite likely that it was), he also seemed genuinly upset that Amelia was profiting off of this tragedy. It's possible Watts was the one releasing Julie after a long time of captivity in the pink rooms, as he was the only one except Isabel who was allowed down in the basement.

The loss of a daughter is a recurring theme. Isabel losing her daughter, Tom losing Julie, and Wayne being estranged from Becca. (As well as Rust losing his daughter in season 1.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Right now I'm not sure the pedo angle is correct at all. It is mentioned the Hoyts have been very unlucky with regards to family. Isabel Hoyt lost her daughter which made her crazy. Towards the end of the episode, Hoyt tells Wayne on the phone "It's lucky having a family". Obviously Watts and Isabel were the mixed race couple meeting the children in the woods. And correct me if I'm wrong here, but my impression is that Julie doesn't seem to have been particularly traumatized by the Hoyts - her distress have been more aimed towards Tom. At this point it seems more like Isabel used Julie as a surrogate daughter, possibly paying Lucy for it, and made Julie the "princess of the pink rooms". Something happened during one of these regular meetings resulting in Will's death, forcing Isabel and Watts to kidnap Julie to cover things up. (Or perhaps this is what Isabel planned in order to keep Julie in the pink rooms permanently instead of meeting sporadically.) If Watts was the black man who showed up at Amelia's book reading (quite likely that it was), he also seemed genuinly upset that Amelia was profiting off of this tragedy. It's possible Watts was the one releasing Julie after a long time of captivity in the pink rooms, as he was the only one except Isabel who was allowed down in the basement.

The loss of a daughter is a recurring theme. Isabel losing her daughter, Tom losing Julie, and Wayne being estranged from Becca. (As well as Rust losing his daughter in season 1.)

Marty also had daughters.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interestingly there's a huge debate in the Comments over on AV Club with their review of the episode -- Emily (the reviewer) claimed that how Harris was handled was a narrative copout.

Mostly it comes down to some people criticizing the reviewer for downgrading episodes that didn't go "as she wanted them to," where others are supporting her criticisms as valid and also that just being part of the review process. I do think her approach would be a bit stronger, honestly, and explain better some of the memory lapses and such nowadays, and the bad blood between the partners. I dunno, it's kind of a balance because (1) real life sometimes has stuff that happens that isn't quite as dramatic as a story, but (2) a story is actually a highly tailored narrative that attempts to get the most dramatic juice out of a particular collection of events and people and details; it's not real life, which often has a bunch of irrelevant clutter in it that we have to screen out. And people are reading stories for that particular focus.

Of course, Pizzolatto is known for his red herrings and sometimes diffusive meanderings.

rav3n

I don't understand the narrative copout angle. It's simply subjective preference for the direction of the narrative.

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
weqEjp7_d.jpg

rav3n

Even though it's been stated enough times in this thread, the acting has all around been superb. Ali brilliantly nails it in all three timelines. Dorff, brilliant in the first two but lagging a hair as a senior since he's a touch too mentally sharp and fluidly mobile. All the supporting actors have been excellent, especially McNairy and Graziadei.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even though it's been stated enough times in this thread, the acting has all around been superb. Ali brilliantly nails it in all three timelines. Dorff, brilliant in the first two but lagging a hair as a senior since he's a touch too mentally sharp and fluidly mobile. All the supporting actors have been excellent, especially McNairy and Graziadei.

I agree with the quality of the acting, although I dunno if I'd criticize Dorff.

My step-grandmother just died last month. She was 98. She was as sharp as a tack until about age 95. So ... it happens. I guess with Roland, the main issue is whether a guy who is killing off brain cells by the thousands for years with his boozing would maintain his mental skills.

But yeah. I'm really happy with the acting this time out. If there's any problem, it's the big-picture scripting at moments (and compared to Season 2, I feel bad even picking at something).

rav3n

I agree with the quality of the acting, although I dunno if I'd criticize Dorff.

My step-grandmother just died last month. She was 98. She was as sharp as a tack until about age 95. So ... it happens. I guess with Roland, the main issue is whether a guy who is killing off brain cells by the thousands for years with his boozing would maintain his mental skills.

But yeah. I'm really happy with the acting this time out. If there's any problem, it's the big-picture scripting at moments (and compared to Season 2, I feel bad even picking at something).
Seniors, even when mentally sharp also have a childish nuance to them from subtle to overtly so. Not sure how to explain this aspect but Ali nails it. Dorff lacks it since he remains fully adult and is too fluidly mobile. Even when spry, seniors most often shorten their steps and stoop a bit. Even so, Dorff is all around brilliant to excellent so I'm nitpicking, lol. Felt the need to mention it since I dropped out of immersion for a second here and there because of this.