• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

the Mandalorian

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, with the transition to streaming and no need for commercial block padding, they have more flexibility on the time length but minds seem stuck in a rut. I am seeing this complaint more nowadays, most recently with the HBO "The Outsider" Season 1 -- it feels like the hour-long episodes are just too long for not enough story. I've experienced that with other shows too.

i was okay with Mindhunter because there was typically something happening -- even while they had bigger arcs in play, they were also breaking it up with small arcs (e.g., the various inmate interviews as part of their research). So it wasn't really getting stuck in a drudge of a rut. And really tight shows like Better Call Saul aren't overstaying their welcome -- if they run the 45-55 minutes, they actually have story to tell. I actually feel like The Good Place episodes are almost too short, they could go an extra 5-10 minutes typically.

I find myself groaning a bit nowadays when I got to watch a season of a show and I see all the episodes run about 60 minutes. Some shows prove me wrong, but other shows end up being a trudge, with about 20 minutes of useless filler.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, with the transition to streaming and no need for commercial block padding, they have more flexibility on the time length but minds seem stuck in a rut. I am seeing this complaint more nowadays, most recently with the HBO "The Outsider" Season 1 -- it feels like the hour-long episodes are just too long for not enough story. I've experienced that with other shows too.

i was okay with Mindhunter because there was typically something happening -- even while they had bigger arcs in play, they were also breaking it up with small arcs (e.g., the various inmate interviews as part of their research). So it wasn't really getting stuck in a drudge of a rut. And really tight shows like Better Call Saul aren't overstaying their welcome -- if they run the 45-55 minutes, they actually have story to tell. I actually feel like The Good Place episodes are almost too short, they could go an extra 5-10 minutes typically.

I find myself groaning a bit nowadays when I got to watch a season of a show and I see all the episodes run about 60 minutes. Some shows prove me wrong, but other shows end up being a trudge, with about 20 minutes of useless filler.

Word.

I thought some episodes of Stranger Things felt padded too.

I guess I'm just old school. I'd rather have a series of twenty 30-45 minute episodes than a series of eight to ten 1 hour long episodes.

Agreed on Mindhunter though. That's a really intelligent series, and it keeps me engaged despite featuring no flashy action set pieces. It also works in that feels more like a miniseries/multipart TV movie like used to be popular back in the 70s to early 90s

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was pleasantly surprised to see Fleabag is only two seasons of six episodes each, running about 25-30 minutes.
That was about all the time the series felt like it warranted, based on concept. So I can enjoy it much more for what it is, in reasonable bites.

I dunno about twenty. I feel overwhelmed nowadays by long seasons like that. I'm trying to catch up on This is Us -- I'm still in Season 2 -- and it's slowing me down looking at these 18-22 episode seasons of 45 minutes apiece. I know it's mostly mental, I'd be happier with more seasons with less episodes in each. Shorter milestones, in other words.

I always felt like Stranger Things was too long for the content, it was more of a B series to me (rather than A) and it was demanding too much of my time to get through.

Season 1 of ST: Disc was weird in that it felt like they didn't enough mundane story, they just had a few big plot high-concepts (like Lorca's identity, the Klingon mole reveal, etc.) that were driving the season. But those items should have been long-term payoff, not same-season payoff (or essentially payoff within 3-4 episodes); they should have been telling smaller arcs of interest in themselves, while letting those high-concepts mature... because they are a hell of a lot more powerful when you get the audience to really latch onto the characters and view things one way, then spin them for a huge moment of surprise and catharsis. (Mr. Robot is a great example of how to do this, it had a few huge reveals over the course of the series that were powerful because they had ongoing daily story rather than hinging the entire series on 1-2 large plot points and making the rest filler junk.)

Talk about Filler -- those last two recent seasons of X-Files, each had 1-2 really great episodes and then some meh episodes and then usually 1-2 abysmal episodes. The final episode really sucked and made me wonder why they bothered. THey didn't really have anything to really say, it was more like taking the X-Files dolls out of their storage bin to rehash the same things done 20 years ago, then toss them back.

I had another comment to make and came back here to make it, now I completely cannot remember what it was. Oh well.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Baby Jabba???

Can you imagine the slugtrails around the house? So many diaper changes.

leonardo-viti-leoviti-babyjabba.jpg

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It kind of reminds me of an actual baby :huh:

hqdefault.jpg

The biggest difference is really that the dinosaur has a more prominent, Leno-esque chin, as well as smaller irises that don't extend to the entire eyes. I can't remember if Hutts are supposed to be descended from nocturnal creatures or not, but it would explain the absence of a visible sclera.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
hqdefault.jpg

The biggest difference is really that the dinosaur has a more prominent, Leno-esque chin, as well as smaller irises that don't extend to the entire eyes. I can't remember if Hutts are supposed to be descended from nocturnal creatures or not, but it would explain the absence of a visible sclera.

Hutts are hermaphroditic and and reproduce by fertilizing themselves. The infant then lives in a pouch on the mother till it grows It was featured in The Young Han Solo trilogy by AC Crispen, most notably in "the hutt gambit"

- - - Updated - - -

Also Jim Henson's creature shop works with lucasfilm

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty soon we're gonna have a whole show similar to "The Muppet Babies" full of baby star wars characters.

Baby Yoda
Baby Jabaa
Baby Greedo
Baby Jar-Jar
Baby Chewie

And then Baby Palpatine keeps playing with the electric outlets and cackles a lot, while Baby Maul is kicking babies down the staircase.

The Cat

Staff member
Pretty soon we're gonna have a whole show similar to "The Muppet Babies" full of baby star wars characters.

Baby Yoda
Baby Jabaa
Baby Greedo
Baby Jar-Jar
Baby Chewie

And then Baby Palpatine keeps playing with the electric outlets and cackles a lot, while Baby Maul is kicking babies down the staircase.

I cannot wait till we see Baby Chewie all fluffed up after getting trapped in the dryer.

A Star Wars Rugruts muppet babies hybrid would be a profitable series. I would sure watch it. @_@

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I cannot wait till we see Baby Chewie all fluffed up after getting trapped in the dryer.

A Star Wars Rugruts muppet babies hybrid would be a profitable series. I would sure watch it. @_@

I wonder if Baby Sheev would be the wrinkly version ? In my imagination, he certainly is. Kind of a Benjamin Button deal, I guess.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sheev always had a buttface, he just used special force magic to make himself look pretty

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This episode was very Western.

The Cat

Staff member
I really enjoyed this so far. I wish the episodes were longer.