• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Spotify types

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh boy, now Spotify is getting into the personality gig of 16 types.

I'm a Time Traveler. (ETVU)

Kind of curious about what correlations might exist to MBTI and/or Big 5, tho.

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Interesting! I would likely classify myself as a Voyager (Exploration Newness Loyalty Commonality). My impression is the first three are more Pe vs. Pi and the fourth is more S vs. N. I think it's entirely possible that the non-dominant perceiving function could come out to play in different people with similar types when listening to music though.

Last edited:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh boy, now Spotify is getting into the personality gig of 16 types.

I'm a Time Traveler. (ETVU)

Kind of curious about what correlations might exist to MBTI and/or Big 5, tho.

Wow! I don't use Spotify- but we'd have the same type, or at least similar.

My strongest dichotomy would be U- I have songs that have only a handful thousand of views on YT- or are not even on YT at all. Most folks would recognise only 5 songs max in my playlist, but I could say the same for myself with theirs.

Spotify is doing really well with their marketing, I think it would be very interesting to listen to various things and then have an overall assessment of it like this- I think Spotify does this every year (cmiiw)? But this is the first it's put it into some personality system. But I don't want to get sucked into it and its ad-riddled experience.

EDIT: Apparently the description of the Time Traveler is:
You're like a musical time traveler, a sonic historian. You seek out music that's new to you, regardless of whether it's new to the rest of the world.

And that's just it. That's my approach to looking for music. With a strong emphasis on the "regardless" part because for eg I literally only listened to Wake Me Up Inside for the first time ever within the last 3 years.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm probably either the Jukeboxer or the Replayer (FTLx).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow! I don't use Spotify- but we'd have the same type, or at least similar.

My strongest dichotomy would be U- I have songs that have only a handful thousand of views on YT- or are not even on YT at all. Most folks would recognise only 5 songs max in my playlist, but I could say the same for myself with theirs.

Spotify is doing really well with their marketing, I think it would be very interesting to listen to various things and then have an overall assessment of it like this- I think Spotify does this every year (cmiiw)? But this is the first it's put it into some personality system. But I don't want to get sucked into it and its ad-riddled experience.

They have definitely done the yearly review for 4-5 years, I have a few of my yearly song lists saved for playback. But yes, i think the personality thing is new this year.

EDIT: Apparently the description of the Time Traveler is:
You're like a musical time traveler, a sonic historian. You seek out music that's new to you, regardless of whether it's new to the rest of the world.

And that's just it. That's my approach to looking for music. With a strong emphasis on the "regardless" part because for eg I literally only listened to Wake Me Up Inside for the first time ever within the last 3 years.
I kind of came from a sheltered background based on where I grew up and being in a pretty conservative religious environment. So it was more a matter of exposure, not genre. (I think the only genre I don't really like much is generic country.) Typically i have a core group of music I still like listening to from the mid 70's through mid 80's, and then the other half of my music tends to come from bouncing from one genre and song to another I run across, from all different sources. (There's been stuff I remember picking up from here, 10 years back -- like Lippy Kids by Elbow -- just a bunch of eclectic stuff people would volunteer in the Listened To threads, etc.) It was funny I didn't really start listening to prog rock as much as I should have until like 2010.

So you'll laugh at my top list, it doesn't look as exploratory in some respects.

Screenshot_20221130-141022_Spotify.jpg

I ran across Steam-Powered Giraffe in early summer? And ended up listening to songs from across their entire album history multiple times. Swing Out Sister is kind of retro, they've done stuff all across decades but it tends to be stylized as mid 80's through early 90's and other periods.

I think where it really drives home is that I will start listening to music I missed as a teenager or living through it, then pick it up now a few decades later, simply because I hadn't been exposed to it before.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I kind of came from a sheltered background based on where I grew up and being in a pretty conservative religious environment. So it was more a matter of exposure, not genre. (I think the only genre I don't really like much is generic country.) Typically i have a core group of music I still like listening to from the mid 70's through mid 80's, and then the other half of my music tends to come from bouncing from one genre and song to another I run across, from all different sources. (There's been stuff I remember picking up from here, 10 years back -- like Lippy Kids by Elbow -- just a bunch of eclectic stuff people would volunteer in the Listened To threads, etc.) It was funny I didn't really start listening to prog rock as much as I should have until like 2010.

So you'll laugh at my top list, it doesn't look as exploratory in some respects.

I was rather sheltered (& surrounded by religious conservatives) growing up myself. It's still a bit of a shock to me to see people talking about smoking and drugs (even marijuana) so very casually. The knee jerk reaction is this pearl-clutching white suburban mom kind of reaction and I know very little about it.

I'm not going to laugh, I wouldn't know how popular or niche those songs are, and even if they were either what matters is that you like them, no?
(also I don't recognise a single song on there. Whoopsies me)

I think where it really drives home is that I will start listening to music I missed as a teenager or living through it, then pick it up now a few decades later, simply because I hadn't been exposed to it before.

My brain works a bit weird (especially emotionally) in that when I feel certain things I 'hear' the song in my head, often ones of different languages, and when I check the lyrics it basically describes what I feel. So it has some utility to me because otherwise I am a dense duck. The other side of it is that my brain will sometimes randomly dig up oldass but lyrically/mood-ly (?) pertinent songs. Sometimes I end up enjoying it more than I originally did.

I'm also still young enough to still somewhat be in that period of time where you still had a wealth of things you've experienced but not fully understood before as a child, but can revisit as an adult with new understanding and broadened context. It's fun to do that with songs. One of the funnier more memorable ones however is the ... not even sure what the title is, but the "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" song.

It took me way too long to realise they weren't talking about milkshakes, and even then it had to be pointed out to me first.

Galizia

MBTI Type
int
Enneagram
Six
I was rather sheltered (& surrounded by religious conservatives) growing up myself. It's still a bit of a shock to me to see people talking about smoking and drugs (even marijuana) so very casually. The knee jerk reaction is this pearl-clutching white suburban mom kind of reaction and I know very little about it.

I'm not going to laugh, I wouldn't know how popular or niche those songs are, and even if they were either what matters is that you like them, no?
(also I don't recognise a single song on there. Whoopsies me)

My brain works a bit weird (especially emotionally) in that when I feel certain things I 'hear' the song in my head, often ones of different languages, and when I check the lyrics it basically describes what I feel. So it has some utility to me because otherwise I am a dense duck. The other side of it is that my brain will sometimes randomly dig up oldass but lyrically/mood-ly (?) pertinent songs. Sometimes I end up enjoying it more than I originally did.

I'm also still young enough to still somewhat be in that period of time where you still had a wealth of things you've experienced but not fully understood before as a child, but can revisit as an adult with new understanding and broadened context. It's fun to do that with songs. One of the funnier more memorable ones however is the ... not even sure what the title is, but the "my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" song.
It's very important to promote your spotify account in general. I didn't know how to do this before but I can't help but share what I found. It turns out that you can order Spotify promotion promosoundgroup.net/collection/streaming-promotion/spotify-promotion/ here and know for sure that your account will be promoted in a fairly quick time and that there will be real and live listeners. This is extremely important now and I'm glad I found them, now more people can hear my music.

It took me way too long to realise they weren't talking about milkshakes, and even then it had to be pointed out to me first.
I have somewhere the same feeling actually.

Last edited: