• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

so indifferent right now

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I can continue my sociology major I am doing well with but am indifferent towards, or I could switch to an engineering program I will also not really care about. I suppose I could teach and have the same schedule as a potential family and have plenty of time for self-analysis, though I have no real interest in teaching beyond the promise of time off and the fact it pays more than my current trade-job, which already pays enough. If I taught, I would never have to worry about money because I don't consume much. I don't do much other than what I am asked anyway, since the only thing worse than dragging myself up to interact with somebody or do something is having to deal with some conflict of face some sort of negative consequence. What do y'all think?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think take a gap year and go travelling. Experience the world, study can be arduous and draining and lacklustre... sometimes new experiences and horizons help put life into perspective. Just my two cents :smile:

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think take a gap year and go travelling. Experience the world, study can be arduous and draining and lacklustre... sometimes new experiences and horizons help put life into perspective. Just my two cents :smile:

Maybe so. I would need to clear it with work, as I still value the security the position brings, but if I can, I will.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think school, especially if you're paying for it, is an awfully big commitment and money sink if you're indifferent to what you're studying. And I think in the long run, if you got a degree you were indifferent to, it would probably shift to dislike and dissatisfaction.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think school, especially if you're paying for it, is an awfully big commitment and money sink if you're indifferent to what you're studying. And I think in the long run, if you got a degree you were indifferent to, it would probably shift to dislike and dissatisfaction.

Which is why teaching is at least marginally attractive. I may be indifferent to teaching, but I would get summers off.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Agreed, but you also need to have some degree, any degree, in order to make above the median weekly wages in the US. Regardless of if you ever end up working in the field your degree is in, you'll make more money just by having a degree.

33c5bfr.png

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed, but you also need to have some degree, any degree, in order to make above the median weekly wages in the US. Regardless of if you ever end up working in the field your degree is in, you'll make more money just by having a degree.

33c5bfr.png

Well, I'm not really advocating no degree, or never getting a degree, it was more, it may not be worth it at this juncture. I like Helen of Troy's suggestion.

Though I'm not super convinced at this point that having a degree results in higher pay, or is even required for someone who is smart and has initiative ( and there's also trade school, though I know that doesn't apply to OP), I do still think and agree it greatly improves ones desirability from the employers perspective.

Edit: having a degree can put you in the position to get higher pay, though a lot of that is super dependent on the industry/field

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well, I'm not really advocating no degree, or never getting a degree, it was more, it may not be worth it at this juncture. I like Helen of Troy's suggestion.

Though I'm not super convinced at this point that having a degree results in higher pay, or is even required for someone who is smart and has initiative ( and there's also trade school, though I know that doesn't apply to OP), I do still think and agree it greatly improves ones desirability from the employers perspective.

Yes, and of course getting a degree in something you actually like will result in being happier and more satisfied with whatever you end up doing after college. Trade school is also a great option and I think undervalued, unfortunately.

As for OP and teaching, I wouldn't say you wouldn't have to worry about money--even if you don't consume much, you'll be making very little and working 80 hour workweeks on average. I would say only go into teaching if you're passionate about it; unfortunately parts of our society don't seem to value teaching enough. There is also a lot of interaction in teaching, not just talking to the class and them listening--one on one with students who need help, interactions with coworkers, meetings with staff members wherever you're teaching, etc.

My advice is, since you feel indifferent about sociology and engineering, do whatever is "easier." By easier I mean, if you switch degrees now, is it going to put you behind on your graduation plan? Because if so you'd end up spending a lot more money for something you don't' care much about, which I don't think is really worth it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Though I'm not super convinced at this point that having a degree results in higher pay, or is even required for someone who is smart and has initiative, I do still think and agree it greatly improves ones desirability from the employers perspective.
Which is why my plan is to keep doing what I'm doing, since I'm halfway through and, though I'm unhappy, cannot think of anything better. I could always teach with this degree and get a break from it every summer and weekend. In the meantime, I will just keep taking my sleep aids so I don't have to deal with being awake and conscious all the time.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, and of course getting a degree in something you actually like will result in being happier and more satisfied with whatever you end up doing after college. Trade school is also a great option and I think undervalued, unfortunately.

As for OP and teaching, I wouldn't say you wouldn't have to worry about money--even if you don't consume much, you'll be making very little and working 80 hour workweeks on average. I would say only go into teaching if you're passionate about it; unfortunately parts of our society don't seem to value teaching enough. There is also a lot of interaction in teaching, not just talking to the class and them listening--one on one with students who need help, interactions with coworkers, meetings with staff members wherever you're teaching, etc.

My advice is, since you feel indifferent about sociology and engineering, do whatever is "easier." By easier I mean, if you switch degrees now, is it going to put you behind on your graduation plan? Because if so you'd end up spending a lot more money for something you don't' care much about, which I don't think is really worth it.

Sticking with what I'm doing will be easier. Also, I'm pretty sure at this point I don't like anything and will never be happy or feel good ever.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which is why my plan is to keep doing what I'm doing, since I'm halfway through and, though I'm unhappy, cannot think of anything better. I could always teach with this degree and get a break from it every summer and weekend. In the meantime, I will just keep taking my sleep aids so I don't have to deal with being awake and conscious all the time.

Ok, cool. So, why did you start the thread? ;)

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I could always teach with this degree and get a break from it every summer and weekend.

From what my mother has told me about her time as a teacher, you would spend your summer preparing course material and lesson plans for the following year and your weekends grading papers and reviewing said lesson plans that you created over the summer. It is definitely a backup for your (our) degree (since I am also a sociology major), but I just want to make sure you know that about it from my inside source before you decide on it for sure. My mom tells me a lot about new teachers being completely unprepared for the amount of work it is, so I just wanted to warn you.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, cool. So, why did you start the thread? ;)

Part of me hopes to find an answer, even if I'm not sure there is one. Finding happiness and contentment is my only goal in life, but I don't know where to even start. It's like I've just been spinning my wheels, going nowhere. Also, since I need money to survive, and since this is the only life I get, I would rather find something I like...even if I am learning more and more just how little I enjoy and just how few things I'm interested in.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
From what my mother has told me about her time as a teacher, you would spend your summer preparing course material and lesson plans for the following year and your weekends grading papers and reviewing said lesson plans that you created over the summer. It is definitely a backup for your (our) degree (since I am also a sociology major), but I just want to make sure you know that about it from my inside source before you decide on it for sure. My mom tells me a lot about new teachers being completely unprepared for the amount of work it is, so I just wanted to warn you.
My mother is also a teacher and she told me the same thing. She also says I am so passive that she feels the class would just "have its way with me."

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you like to do for fun? What are your hobbies?

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What do you like to do for fun? What are your hobbies?
I used to like to write stories, but after 4 years or so, I'm bored with that. Now my only real hobby is playing the Pathfinder version of Dungeons and Dragons on a forum called Giant in the Playground. That's almost all I do when I'm not eating, sleeping, working, or going to school. I will mention at this point I love trying new food, and will come along with whoever if there is food involved.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Life is just an endless sea of gray

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can continue my sociology major I am doing well with but am indifferent towards, or I could switch to an engineering program I will also not really care about. I suppose I could teach and have the same schedule as a potential family and have plenty of time for self-analysis, though I have no real interest in teaching beyond the promise of time off and the fact it pays more than my current trade-job, which already pays enough. If I taught, I would never have to worry about money because I don't consume much. I don't do much other than what I am asked anyway, since the only thing worse than dragging myself up to interact with somebody or do something is having to deal with some conflict of face some sort of negative consequence. What do y'all think?

I agree about being more certain of your choice and taking a break as long as you don't just go on the internet all day or fill your time with some addction.

If you can use that time wisely and explore you will do good but if you know yourself well enough to know that you can't you should push through and become something you can teach. That will buy you more time and resources to go back and maybe even be a phd or get a masters.

Teaching is a good option. You will have to overcome your fear though of dealing with problems that involve people. You must. I chose a very introverted profession and I don't like dealing with people either to the degree that I do. It's a challenge every day but you will find in this current time little choice. Unless you can convert assembly language into binary and hexadecimal in your head...you will most likely have to deal with people.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree about being more certain of your choice and taking a break as long as you don't just go on the internet all day or fill your time with some addction.

If you can use that time wisely and explore you will do good but if you know yourself well enough to know that you can't you should push through and become something you can teach. That will buy you more time and resources to go back and maybe even be a phd or get a masters.

Teaching is a good option. You will have to overcome your fear though of dealing with problems that involve people. You must. I chose a very introverted profession and I don't like dealing with people either to the degree that I do. It's a challenge every day but you will find in this current time little choice. Unless you can convert assembly language into binary and hexadecimal in your head...you will most likely have to deal with people.

I can't say I'm thrilled, but the second thing you mentioned about teaching so I can buy time and maybe get a masters or Phd sounds like the best route. I took this last summer term off and it got me nowhere (though I did discover a waterpark I kinda liked). Thus, I know myself well enough that I know doing nothing is the worst thing I can do.

You didn't solve my problem, but I will admit that I feel you nudged me in a better direction.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can't say I'm thrilled, but the second thing you mentioned about teaching so I can buy time and maybe get a masters or Phd sounds like the best route. I took this last summer term off and it got me nowhere (though I did discover a waterpark I kinda liked). Thus, I know myself well enough that I know doing nothing is the worst thing I can do.

You didn't solve my problem, but I will admit that I feel you nudged me in a better direction.

Yeah. You'll find that it will be hard to find guidance that will solve your problem. You'll probably have to take here and there from lots of different sources.

Best wishes for you friend. Know that you are not alone in your quest for meaning,.