• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sentio ergo sum.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was René Descartes who coined the famous phrase, "Cogito ergo sum," i.e. "I think, therefore I am." These days, echoing John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High," I like to say that I was "born in the Summer of my 47th year." I may seem highly logical, and I can play the logic game, but I discovered just over two years ago that I am, principally, an emotional being. In Jungian terms, I am an F not a T (a feeler not a thinker). In Socionics terms, I am principally ethical, as opposed to logical.

So, I am hereby copyrighting my signature, "Sentio ergo sum." ;)

Sentio ergo sum roughly translates as "I feel, therefore I am," but if you look at various translations of sentio, you'll get a much better sense of what being an F means. The English verb "to feel" simply doesn't cover enough ground. Here's what Google translate says:

sentio

feel
perceive
think (F and T are rational/articulable functions, whereas N and S are irrational/inarticulable.)
suppose
experience
see
judge (Jung calls both F and T judging functions.)
be aware
vote (If you don't vote, it's because you aren't emotionally invested in the outcome.)
declare
hold an opinion
decide​

That's what it means to be an F in Jungian/Myers-Briggs-Kiersiean/Socionics terms. Few would deny that those verbs define/describe what I do ... like all the time. Compare sentio to cogito:

cogito

think
reflect
meditate
ponder
muse
ruminate
consider
plan
design
intend
imagine
ideate​

You can see that the two are quite different. What I particularly like is that "sentience" is etymologically tied to feeling, not thinking. Philosophy may seek "truth" or "pure thought" and "the one, true answer" (Ti), for whatever good that will do anybody (chuckle), but "feeling" is what it means to be human (or to be sentient). For me, life is all about emotional investment. Sentio ergo sum implies that without feeling (emotional investment), I might as well be dead. I also like the fact that one translation of sentio is "I vote," i.e. I vote, therefore I am.

While I regret that I have been absent for a few months, I did vote, and I am not dead. I was just reincarnating, as EIE is wont to do.

Nice to see you all again!

P.S. My divorce from Silent was finalized on 12-06-16.