• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Roe no mo?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah it is almost as they are begging that half of the country that doesn't vote shows up riled up in November. Since they no longer see their vote as pointless.
This simply is no longer bla bla bla politics, this has quite serious implications for many. Therefore the odds that people will let it slide are slim.
I'll make a prediction right now. If they don't show, GOP will win back control of the house and senate. They will blow up the filibuster and ban abortion, most birth control and any form of travel to get an abortion a felony. They want a country based on biblical law - their voters want it too or do not care as long as it destroys the lives of the Americans they have been told to hate.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you change each statement to have the opposite meaning, then every part of this is true.

They would probably make up some bullshit rule that justifies it which they'd never actually bother following when the shoe is in the other foot.

I place a lot of importance on reciprocity and whether someone is interested in taking their moral framework (whatever it might be) seriously and applying it to themselves and not just others. That's how I evaluate character. Republicans generally seem to have a rather weak moral character which can be deduced in part from the lack of either of those.

Insisting that rules are important, but only for other people is a prime indicator that someone is a piece of shit, in my book.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I'll make a prediction right now. If they don't show, GOP will win back control of the house and senate. They will blow up the filibuster and ban abortion, most birth control and any form of travel to get an abortion a felony. They want a country based on biblical law - their voters want it too or do not care as long as it destroys the lives of the Americans they have been told to hate.

Well, that was my point the whole time. There should be a red tsunami in November but with this that came into question. Especially if the female health issues have to be defended every election cycle. Ideology aside but I am not sure this will be politically worth it on the long run. But ok, it seems that they don't care too much about any of that. They have their goal and that is it.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
We need to drive home the fact that MEN Will be hurt by this as well. Paternity tests and child support is real if he refuses to pay… His paycheck will be docked. If he refuses to work… His license will be revoked. In some states they throw deadbeat dads into jail. when men realize their finances are affected for 18 to 21 years… They’ll come around.

As I say this is no longer just bla bla bla politics. Especially if contraception is out of the window as well.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Some pharmacists in Texas are already refusing to fill prescriptions to treat miscarriages or ectopic pregnancies because the drugs and procedures used to treat them are also used for abortions. This isn't hypothetical, it's reality right now.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there any indication when Roe should formally fall ?
these people have indicated for decades they want to reverse this. They will take any opportunity. They have given every indication of their goals, and multiple indications suggesting that the means to those ends are acceptable to them. I'm not sure what more indication you need at this point.

If anything, I would be looking for any indications to suggest the opposite of what you asked.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
these people have indicated for decades they want to reverse this. They will take any opportunity. They have given every indication of their goals, and multiple indications suggesting that the means to those ends are acceptable to them. I'm not sure what more indication you need at this point.

If anything, I would be looking for any indications to suggest the opposite of what you asked.

I asked "when".
By that I mean hold long until Roe is officially out of the picture ? 2 weeks ? 2 months ? 6 months ? (there probably is some kind of a standard for this kinds of things if they are in "processing").

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I asked "when".
By that I mean hold long until Roe is officially out of the picture ? 2 weeks ? 2 months ? 6 months ? (there probably is some kind of a standard for this kinds of things if they are in "processing").
nevermind, i dunno

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Is there any indication when Roe should formally fall ?
June is when the court will be announcing the decisions from this session. Also announced will be New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen which will knock down nation wide may issue concealed carry laws. Basically in some states you have to show good cause to get a CCW permit such as some guy has threatened my life, or I have to carry large sums of money for my job like a gem merchant. In effect these may issue states turn down all applicants who aren't well connected or show extreme exigent circumstances effectively denying the right of ordinary people defend themselves. All other states have at least shall issue laws which state that permits will be given to any and all who apply for one absent those who wouldn't otherwise be allowed to do so. Beyond that 25 states (and soon to be 26 once FL gets its passed) have passed constitutional carry laws saying that all who can legally obtain a firearm may carry it without any licensing whatsoever.

Like I've said before overturning Roe will just kick the issue back to the states as the constitution says nothing on abortion and thus the original SCOTUS ruling was effectively judicial legislation. Or put more simply the court basically creating a law where the legislature would not do so, despite the fact that the constitution has nothing to say on the issue. Given that the courts whole job is to decide whether a law (or ruling) is constitutional or not deciding on a law that the constitution has no bearing on is FAR outside the courts purview. Thats why we have congress. If abortion is that popular just pass a law, or allow the states to do what they do. The people can vote with their feet if they don't like the laws where they live. They've been doing it for decades with the outmigration from Blue states.

This isn't rocket surgery.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Also politically, this is the most baked in issue in modern US politics. The people who are going to vote on abortion were already gonna vote. Dems are +30 on college educated white women etc. This isn't turning out voters they need just ones who were going to vote anyway. I actually think they should have waited for the announcement from the court b/c then at least it would be a little closer to the election. This almost softens the blow from when the decision drops. There will be a 100 news cycles between now and election day and I think they should have waited and not leaked this. Dems are down 3.8% in generic congressional polling. That's huge. They were ahead in the generic as recently as Nov. I'll be curious if we see the same rioting as we did in the summer of 2020.

On a bigger note is see a general vibe shift country wide the machine that made the left dominant in the US since the days of FDR is faltering in a way I haven't seen in my lifetime. We may be watching this thing become more extreme as it flails in its death throws. It won't be quick. But one day far in the future there may come a day when a movie wins an oscar for treating journalists the same way Spotlight in 2015 treated the church sex scandal.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like I've said before overturning Roe will just kick the issue back to the states as the constitution says nothing on abortion and thus the original SCOTUS ruling was effectively judicial legislation. Or put more simply the court basically creating a law where the legislature would not do so, despite the fact that the constitution has nothing to say on the issue.
More originalist pushing of the fraud that the 10th amendment doesn't exist.

Gotta get rid of that "civil rights shadow constitution" after all.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
June is when the court will be announcing the decisions from this session. Also announced will be New York State Rifle & Pistol Association Inc. v. Bruen which will knock down nation wide may issue concealed carry laws. Basically in some states you have to show good cause to get a CCW permit such as some guy has threatened my life, or I have to carry large sums of money for my job like a gem merchant. In effect these may issue states turn down all applicants who aren't well connected or show extreme exigent circumstances effectively denying the right of ordinary people defend themselves. All other states have at least shall issue laws which state that permits will be given to any and all who apply for one absent those who wouldn't otherwise be allowed to do so. Beyond that 25 states (and soon to be 26 once FL gets its passed) have passed constitutional carry laws saying that all who can legally obtain a firearm may carry it without any licensing whatsoever.

Like I've said before overturning Roe will just kick the issue back to the states as the constitution says nothing on abortion and thus the original SCOTUS ruling was effectively judicial legislation. Or put more simply the court basically creating a law where the legislature would not do so, despite the fact that the constitution has nothing to say on the issue. Given that the courts whole job is to decide whether a law (or ruling) is constitutional or not deciding on a law that the constitution has no bearing on is FAR outside the courts purview. Thats why we have congress. If abortion is that popular just pass a law, or allow the states to do what they do. The people can vote with their feet if they don't like the laws where they live. They've been doing it for decades with the outmigration from Blue states.

This isn't rocket surgery.
democrats tend to be weak-willed little pussies who like to walk a centrist line. I believe that to actually organize and gather support for a bill designed to protect abortions in the past would have been seen by them as political suicide, so no one really pushed it as long as Roe V Wade stood. They could have their cake and eat it too by still saying they would support defending the Roe V Wade decision when asked on campaign stumps, whilst not worrying about the potential damage that might come from supporting a full-on federal law. Except they didn't account for a conservative court reversing said decision down the line. Because they were and are idiots primarily concerned with winning the foreseeable election cycles.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
democrats tend to be weak-willed little pussies who like to walk a centrist line. I believe that to actually organize and gather support for a bill designed to protect abortions in the past would have been seen by them as political suicide, so no one really pushed it as long as Roe V Wade stood. They could have their cake and eat it too by still saying they would support defending the Roe V Wade decision when asked on campaign stumps, whilst not worrying about the potential damage that might come from supporting a full-on federal law. Except they didn't account for a conservative court reversing said decision down the line. Because they were and are idiots primarily concerned with winning the foreseeable election cycles.
I think on some level he knows this and this is what people like him are counting on.