• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random TV Show Thoughts

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started watching the Netflix 3-Body Problem (only finished one episode so far). I mean, it's interesting enough to continue to watch.

I see the Chinese version is on Amazon. Maybe it's worth watching them both and comparing them.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I've been watching some video game based series. Halo and ARK: The animated series.

Halo is surprisingly good. Big budget production values and the story line has some degree of depth (I expected a cheesy video game story line). I should note I am not familiar with the Halo franchise story (only played the first release many years ago, and I don't remember much of a story at all). Worth watching if this is your type of genre

Don't know ARK the video game either. The show seems to have a fair number of big name Hollywood types as voice actors (Michelle Yeoh, Russel Crowe and others) so I thought I would give it a look. Just 2 episodes in, and this one has a real cheesy video game story line. I'll probably finish it as it is just six episodes long, but I don't expect much.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started watching the Netflix 3-Body Problem (only finished one episode so far). I mean, it's interesting enough to continue to watch.

I see the Chinese version is on Amazon. Maybe it's worth watching them both and comparing them.

Finished Episode #2 today. There was a lot of the "game" stuff in this episode, and I wasn't that impressed, but I don't know where it is going. It was both unsettling and kind of dumb in execution. (I haven't read the books.)

The modern storyline is okay, but I'm more into the Chinese 1966-1980 sequence. it seems more compelling for some reason -- and I was kinda blown away by the ending of this episode, kind of a jaw-dropper moment. I have no idea what this series is really about now.

Also, I'm hearing Benedict Wong talking with a Brit accent, which still tickles me every time he opens his mouth. I didn't even know he could do that. I guess I'm an idiot, since I realize now he is British in origin (and this is likely his actual speaking voice), but I've only ever heard him in films where they were making him speak English with a heavy Asian accent of some kind. Why the hell would American filmmakers have him do that all the time? (Edit: Intrigued, I called up some interviews with him -- his actual Brit accent is different I think than what he's using on this show.)

EDIT (Sunday): four episodes in. It's improved a bit and it's more clear what this series is about at least. But I'm really curious to see how the book and Chinese series approached this. I find the VR game the least interesting part of the show. Lots of GoT alumni popping up too. Marlo Kelly is an interesting actress, she tends to hold a scene when she's in it.

EDIT2: Episode 5. That was more like it -- same guys who did all the crazy stuff in GoT, and this episode was back in that style at last. I kind of guessed what Ward was up to, but seeing it unfold was not any less horrific. The effects were mind-boggling. Better yet, it was more like the sacrifice of a good chess piece by the other side to win an even greater position on the board. I am really curious how much of this tracks with the book. Aside from the actual horrific jaw-dropping destructive moments, I think what made this sequence the most effective was seeing all the things that WEREN'T people being impacted. It's like watching something you can't see, but you can track what is going on by the signs of its passing, and that is actually more horrific than most of the other moments because it is showing you the inevitable and relentless.

I find Jin believable but not really Aggie as a top scientific mind, honestly.
Clarence Da Shi also had some really great banter lines this episode.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So episode 6. Their solution to how to observe the Shan-Ti wasn't what I expected, but I had my own thought immediately and I don't know if I'm just seeing the obvious or what exactly. I will put it in spoilers.

EDIT: Finished Episode 7. While the series still feels superficial or speeding along in some ways (I don't think it's nearly as good as the first four seasons of GoT), there were actually some touching moments between Will and other characters... and it looks like there was a purpose for Will's arc in all this. I have no idea how that will play out in later seasons though. But even some of the dumb imagery in Will's imagination makes more sense now at least.

Liam Cunningham is pretty great in this. Most people were exposed to him as The Onion Knight in GoT, but he can actually play some real dickish characters (like the sergeant in Dog Soldiers). Here he's not entirely a dick, but he's very much the "geterdone" guy and very mission driven + his arc has an interesting twist in it I didn't anticipate.

Auggie is kind of an annoying character and I don't find her arc very brilliant. (I also think the role was miscast.) It's hard to justify her actions as written when comparing what is likely a terrible evil (the extermination of humanity) against a morally gray series of choices. About the only thing one could side with her on was the boat incident, but as far as manufacturing the solar parachute goes -- I mean, come on. Pick your battles here, don't just dick everyone over.

Unless episode 8 knocks it out of the park somehow, I would consider this series fairly decently put together and having some decent moments, but it's not a top tier series like Breaking Bad, BCS, GoT Seasons 1-4, Succession, Severance, Bojack Horseman, Dark, Community, and similar. Netflix has definitely WORSE series over time. I think Blue-Eyed Samurai (for example) was better written though.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finished the first season of 3-Body Problem. Finale was somewhat underwhelming and aside from it just being one of three parts, I'm not sure it made a compelling case for continuing with the series. While i know a lot of the interpersonal drama was added to this version of the story to make the characters feel more real and sympathetic compared to the more cerebral book, it didn't necessarily all work.

The best part of the finale is the situation with the Wallfacer:

There's also the bit with the rocket launch, which might seem to break expectation and conform to a more realistic outcome. However, it is very underwhelming and now leaves a big thread dangling or seemingly just snipped short without a satisfying resolution. Is that whole bit ever going to matter?

The ending made its point clear -- humans has never eradicated bugs despite our efforts, and humans will no doubt bear up resiliently under the aliens who call us bugs -- but it really didn't have much emotional impact. And all the major threads were ended. THere's nothing really of interest to wonder about, except maybe whether Season 2 starts in the same time period or 100 years in the future with a new cast. I dunno. Just kinda... underwhelming.

---

Probably the craziest moment of Season 1 and just the one evoking the most intense emotion is what happens to the Judgment Day ship. I wish the rest of the show had had spectacular moments that really stick with you.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've watched this for the thousandth time. I don't like some of the things this character does, and yet, much of this monologue I find relatable, for some reason. I'm not fully sure why.

This got me thinking. This would never happen, but could you imagine if the prequels were done in the tone and style of this show? They would have been great. I think a large problem with them was that Lucas was frequently unwilling to commit (look up the original idea for Padme's death which was much better) to the darkness the story required.

Andor doesn't have a problem with this sort of thing, showing you the dark side of the rebellion.

People sometimes criticize Star Wars as silly kids stuff, but the prequels do contain some pretty good ideas that deserved to be fleshed out better. I can imagine a situation where the prequels get the Andor treatment, and the result of that being incredible.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
SO I watched episode 1 of X-Men '97. I know some people are keen on it, I suspect they are the ones who watched the original cartoon series.

I don't begrudge them their enjoyment, even if I didn't really care for it. I find a lot of it is just superficial or cheesy, I don't even like much of the voice acting -- Cyclops is okay and I'll never diss Jennifer Hale, who is like a legend in the voice-over industry. But so much of the voices sound whiny or cliche or overburdened with their location accents. (Like, can't we just have Gambit and Rogue sound like real people from their respective locations talking in warm nuanced accents, versus the extreme cliche versions we're getting? Or Wolverine?)

It's also a bit hard for my brain to wrap around the insertions of characters from different time periods of X-Men (since I had read the comics for a long time and saw which groups they were actually all in and/or time period). I can't deal seeing Beast and early Wolvie and later Jean and earlier Cyclops (and who the fuck is Morph?? I guess he's a spin on Changeling or something from the early X-Men days -- lol, the 60's, dear god!), but then Jubilee is here (she appeared first in 1989) and now they're throwing in Bobby da Costa (1982) for good measure, not as part of the New Mutants, and.... oh my head hurts. ANd I guess this episode is doing their version of Magneto taking over the X-Men from Charles for awhile, and I have heard rumors about Madeline Pryor showing up as the Goblin Queen which worked when Jean Grey was dead and Scott married her and.... my poor brain.

I dunno. I am realizing I basically need to feel something when I watch shows. Even the most fantastical ones need to feel grounded, feel coherent, and also generate some kind of emotional connect. I didn't really care or feel anything about any of this when watching it. There must be something there that the current audience really likes, I just can't tap into it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unless episode 8 knocks it out of the park somehow, I would consider this series fairly decently put together and having some decent moments, but it's not a top tier series like Breaking Bad, BCS, GoT Seasons 1-4, Succession, Severance, Bojack Horseman, Dark, Community, and similar. Netflix has definitely WORSE series over time. I think Blue-Eyed Samurai (for example) was better written though.
I found the fact that Parks & Rec wasn't mentioned is interesting. I was thinking the other day that Community was probably the better show, which doesn't make P&R a bad show. Community was just so clever and there were so many layers to it. I just finished watching Conspiracy Theories and Interior Design and I realized that the Professor was in fact in an earlier episode. Then, there is the episode were Abed makes the movie about Jesus. Abed's movie starts a following based on its cryptic meta nonsense. Shirley confronts Abed in the cafeteria, somebody calls Shirley a Pharisee, and then Abed is silent for a moment before forgiving. It's so meta in a way that's actually funny and unexpected and it's great. (Charlie Kaufmann is fine, IMO. I watched Fellini's 8 1/2 once though, and I did not care for that, which was a movie about making movies)

I think a lot of the characters have more to them, as well, except Britta who got Flanderized. I like season 1 Britta the best because of the way she would put Jeff in his place (even if she does eventually sleep with him because he's handsome. I do appreciate that they lampshade this in season 3 with Britta saying, "Remember when I used to be smarter than you?" Case in point, in season 1, Jeff sucked at debate and tries to win people over with a weird musical number for some reason. The former lawyer was no help at all and they only won that thing because of Annie, although they draw the gaze of the malignant eye of City College upon doing so.

Everything is so intricate and I can't imagine how they even pulled that off or how they got the network to let them make this. This show got so weird, and I love that I got to see it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I rewatched a random pick ( the conspiracy theory episode, which layers in the whole blanket fort side concept) and the ending was just brilliant, with fakeout after fakeout. This is a show where I enjoy rewatches. Other shows I won't bother. I don't know how they managed to invest so much creativity into 23 min episodes for a comedy.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I saw that earlier. :( I remember being delighted when he pulls up in that car and comes up with the letter, lol.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read this fascinating thing in a book last night.

The book was positing that in the years since TNG ended, we've become the Borg. Consider networks and how we feel when disconnected. I think it makes sense.

SensEye

MBTI Type
INTp
I just finished watching season 1 and I concur with most of your reviews. The series takes a while to get moving and is generally not edge of your seat viewing. However the premise is interesting and I don't know where things are going (which scores points with me as too many series are boringly predictable).

Obviously I haven't read the books and I have no plan to do so at this point. Books are always superior to any live action show made based on them, so it's wise to watch first and read later, or just do one or the other.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I like Season 5 of Babylon 5 better this time around. I like Byron, but he's running a cult. A nice cult it seems, but cult it be.

The Cat

Staff member
I tend to agree.
The Joker is more a Concept than a Character.
I did really like Jeramiah though, he was more like a Nicholson Joker. I also liked his more subdued on the outside dying of laughter on the inside presentation. Though that could just be because of my autism and finding that demeanor relatable.​

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyone watching Fallout?

I have never played any of the games, so I can't tell how close the show reflects the game. Only watched about 20 minutes so far, but it's pretty enjoyable and has its own quirky tone. \

Also, it took me about 30 seconds to recognize Kyle MacLachlan. I guess we're all getting old.

The Cat

Staff member
Anyone watching Fallout?

I have never played any of the games, so I can't tell how close the show reflects the game. Only watched about 20 minutes so far, but it's pretty enjoyable and has its own quirky tone. \

Also, it took me about 30 seconds to recognize Kyle MacLachlan. I guess we're all getting old.
Im going to watch it, but not for a few weeks probably, but from what Ive seen so far, it looks good. The games are a lot of fun.