• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Qanon, conspiracy theories, and the Fairness Doctrine

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What made them susceptible to jumping to conclusions without due diligence and to acting impulsively?

I do not think them not checking their facts before acting can be used as a mitigative circumstance.

If they are going to use brain damage as defense, then they should not have voting rights either as their judgment must be impaired.

That's not going to help as some of them didn't vote in 2020 and havent voted for some time.

Capitol rioters didn’t actually vote in election they claimed was stolen | The Independent

This is all going to be blamed on "Trumpitis" or Foxmania"

Fox News made me do it: Capitol attack suspect pulls ‘Foxitis’ defense | US Capitol breach | The Guardian

I don't think that will get them far when it comes to a judge or jury but you are actually suggesting consequences for attempting to stop a legal electoral process. That will all be chalked up to "wokeness" and "cancel culture" from the left. This lawyer is just helping that narrative along.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If a side effect of these trials is that the courts roundly recognize what Trump was spewing as false, that can only help in the long run.

I think it's going to take a thousand cuts, so to speak. Brene Brown has an analogy about trust being like a jar of marbles; each small incident puts a marble in the jar, and when the jar is full there's an unquestioning trust that happens. It seems like this is what a lot of Trump's base has for the GOP - and the fact that so many GOP leaders have enabled his bombastic lying has resulted in even more marbles. But it works the other way too. And I'm hoping that incidents like this (and: OAN and FOX retracting their claims about election fraud to dodge the Dominion lawsuit; having lawyers for Carlson Tucker and Trump's lawyer Sidney Something actually claiming in court that "no reasonable person considers [them] a reliable source of facts" as a defense; the fact that so many insurrectionists have publicly condemned Trump for leaving them high and dry after doing what he told them to do; etc) will accumulate enough to add reasonable doubt to everything Trump says.

But also, it really feels like that should have happened by now. So it's a hard call.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
QAnon Militia of Ex-Cops and Soldiers Is Training ‘Patriots’ for Revolution

The Praetorians are a new paramilitary organization that Lewis says has grown to “hundreds” of members in just nine months, in almost complete secrecy. It is part of a growing network of right-wing extremists groups who are pushing baseless conspiracies about election fraud, and has direct links to violent militias, notably the Oath Keepers. Now Lewis, a QAnon believer, is helping establish a nationwide network of survivalist training camps to prepare patriots for the coming revolution.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Does anyone know what the latest QAnon talk is? The person I knew who was hardcore QAnon just permanently moved into his family's cabin in the forest. I think there might be an expectation of something about to happen. I'm mostly wondering if Trump cultists are planning to act out something on society soon.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Does anyone know what the latest QAnon talk is? The person I knew who was hardcore QAnon just permanently moved into his family's cabin in the forest. I think there might be an expectation of something about to happen. I'm mostly wondering if Trump cultists are planning to act out something on society soon.

They are running for school boards all over the country.

Kephalos

J.M.P.P. R.I.P. B5: RLOAI
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
The problem with the fairness doctrine is that it basically guarantees all the conspiracy theorists, extremists, and people spreading misinformation strategically a seat at every broadcasted discussion.

Frankly, reviving it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Vendrah

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
The problem with the fairness doctrine is that it basically guarantees all the conspiracy theorists, extremists, and people spreading misinformation strategically a seat at every broadcasted discussion.

Frankly, reviving it would be an unmitigated disaster.

Im joining late the discussion and through you; I admit at the beginning I thought "fairness doctrine" was just one of these people (on the case, on the right wing) that pretend to be fair or, worse, pretend life is fair like a hell lot of them do.
But it isn't the case.

I don't think they are totally wrong. However, I believe that people who lies too much should be censored. To be honest, I believe that liars shouldn't speak much - I have good reasons to think a disonest and liar extravert is way more toxic than an introvert one. The thing is that a lot of these extravert liars got good social skills and are charismatic enough to deceive (psychopaths do that as well, but this goes beyond psychopathy) and a lot of them gets in a high position of authority (such as Bolsonaro, and maybe Trump, I don't really read much about Trump).

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Im joining late the discussion and through you; I admit at the beginning I thought "fairness doctrine" was just one of these people (on the case, on the right wing) that pretend to be fair or, worse, pretend life is fair like a hell lot of them do.
But it isn't the case.

I don't think they are totally wrong. However, I believe that people who lies too much should be censored. To be honest, I believe that liars shouldn't speak much - I have good reasons to think a disonest and liar extravert is way more toxic than an introvert one. The thing is that a lot of these extravert liars got good social skills and are charismatic enough to deceive (psychopaths do that as well, but this goes beyond psychopathy) and a lot of them gets in a high position of authority (such as Bolsonaro, and maybe Trump, I don't really read much about Trump).

Naw, Trump is definitely a lying con artist.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
But it isn't the case.

Definitely Trump. His entire presidency and everything surrounding it was an enormous con.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Australian Broadcasting Corporation aired this documentary about FOX helping perpetuate The Big Lie. (I have to watch it later, too busy right now).

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There should be some sort of fairness doctrine, but the right to hide behind it needs to be waived for any person or outlet found to be willfully disseminating false information or propaganda (obvious exception for stuff like op eds).

In other words, Trump and Alex Jones don't get to invoke it.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Judd said Riley also asked the 11-year-old, "Do you know why I killed your parents? They're sex traffickers."

Investigators believed Riley thought he ultimately had killed the girl, but she "played dead and prayed." She survived despite suffering a total of seven bullet wounds.

Judd said Riley then had a shootout with law enforcement and was ultimately shot in the stomach before surrendering.

Judd said a total of five deputies and one police officer opened fire Sunday morning, firing 59 times. Judd said Riley shot "in excess of 100 times."

"He was a coward, an absolute coward. He looks like a man, but he's not a man, he's a sniveling coward," Judd said. "He was a bad dude when he went into this house and shot and killed a 3-month-old baby in its mother's arms."
But don't forget - this is just an 8Chan shitpost - no one believes it or is getting hurt.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm 100% sure the Nazi's would have chugged Betadine but I'm also sure the Nazi's invented meth so I don't think they were all about the natural remedies.

I think this is a very important thing to be aware of and, in discussing it, we shouldn’t commit what the historian Simon Schama calls “the obscene syllogism” of saying: “Well, if the Nazis believed in ecological education, then anyone who believes in ecological education is therefore a Nazi.” But we should be aware that there’s this very long history, and that a big theme in Nazi thought was this idea that “we’re the strong, pure people who come out of nature. We contrast ourselves to the debauched, cosmopolitan people, the urban people.” There was a very strong interest in paganism, in astrology, in natural healing, and quite a lot of Nazis were anti-vaxxers.

Homeopathy was also a strong theme. And, of course, I want to emphasize that I’m not in any way saying that people embracing those themes in their lives makes them Nazis, because that’s evidently not true. But there’s been a long-standing far-right attraction to some of these ideas.
I see a restoration narrative built around the politics of belonging as being a potential way forward. I don’t say it’s the only potential story. Maybe there are better ones, but it’s the best I’ve got at the moment. And it’s basically about the world being thrown into disorder by the powerful and nefarious forces of neoliberalism working against the interests of humanity, telling us that our role in life is to fight like stray dogs over a dustbin, there’s no higher purpose in life than that.
Very true. Good interview.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm 100% sure the Nazi's would have chugged Betadine but I'm also sure the Nazi's invented meth so I don't think they were all about the natural remedies.

Very true. Good interview.
The meth thing is true but there's a well-documented record of many of them being into paganism. Haven't heard about the homeopathy before, though.