• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Movies regarded as classics that bombed or received initially bad reviews

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scarface got a second life largely because of the gangsta rap community. They LOVE that movie and it's a frequent reference in rap music, or at least it was back when gangsta rap was really big.

It always fascinates me how such a cynical film that is arguably a cautionary tale was re-interpreted as a fairy tale about a character people were never intended to want to emulate. I mean, Montana had a few redeeming qualities, like not wanting to kill children, but overall, I don't think he was ever intended as a role model.

Agree it's a great film though. Unless you count the courtroom outburst scene from And Justice for All, Scarface marks the exact point where Pacino transitioned from the soft-spoken, stonefaced Michael Corleone type to the crazy ranting man we all know and love today.

My guess is that the overarching cautionary tale is lost somewhere amidst the glamarization of the various fruits bore by the accumulation of wealth (the scene shortly after he kills Frank where it shows the result of that with all the different machines counting money, the luxury automobiles, and showing how happy everyone is as a result of Tony's newfound wealth).

Pretty much until the end, the film is about how being poor equates to being miserable, and by acquiring wealth you can attain happiness. It's funny how in the latter part of the movie you see that Tony has virtually acquired everything he initially set out to, he spends most of his time looking over his shoulder, intoxicated, and making everyone around him miserable.

Jaguar

He has more redeeming qualities than just not wanting to kill women and children. They're easy to forget in our neutered age, but once upon a time bravely taking risks and masterminding a plan for financial success from the ghetto was something to be looked up to as well.

"Me, I want what's coming to me. The world, Chico, and everything in it." That's not masterminding a plan, that's an asshole talking.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Dune (1984). Love this movie!

Me too. Though, of course, anything with Sting in iron underpants stepping out of a sauna is worth a watch.

I also read the book so I know what was going on.

rav3n

Me too. Though, of course, anything with Sting in iron underpants stepping out of a sauna is worth a watch.
A hard pass on Sting. He does nothing for me. For that matter, none of the actors do anything for me beyond Patrick Stewart as an actor, rather than anyone to crush on.

I also read the book so I know what was going on.
As a major fan of the first three+ books, especially the first one, this movie has an interesting cyberpunk twist. The first time I saw it, hated it since I already had the characters preconceived in my mind and didn't like the campy way they portrayed Baron Harkonnen. But after watching it the second time, I fell in love with it and primarily ignore Harkonnen.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
A hard pass on Sting. He does nothing for me. For that matter, none of the actors do anything for me beyond Patrick Stewart as an actor, rather than anyone to crush on.

It's more that the visual is amusing.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fair enough but no thanks to you for reminding me since now I have the douchebag image in my mind so I'll have to watch a kitten video on youtube to wash it out. Ew.

latest

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What are some films now widely regarded as classics that initially bombed or were panned almost universally by critics upon their release?

A couple I can think of are Blade Runner, Brazil and John Carpenter's The Thing. Big Trouble in Little China is another one that bombed, was dismissed by critics, but is now ranked as one of Carpenter's best films. The 80s and 90s in particular seemed to produce a lot of box office duds that were allowed second lives via the burgeoning home video industry.

I think Shawshank Redemption is another good example. No one went to see it, yet now it's ranked right up there with it's contemporaries Pulp Fiction and Forrest Gump as a modern classic.

I was going to say Empire Strikes Back, but that one did still make a tanker load of money, and I'd say the reviews from 1980 are mixed rather than universally bad.

Animal House always makes me think of a movie that was panned, relentlessly, but became a classic. Not only a classic but pretty much solidified Doug Kenny being regarded as the finest satirist of his generation.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
For a flip, it would be interesting to do a thread about films that initially did well and were acclaimed but have since either fallen into obscurity or seen their reputations tarnished. Gone With The Wind jumps to mind.

That movie has had more propaganda generated in its defense than any move I can think of. It's also very easy to pick out the people who have read the book and seen the movie vs the people that have only seen the movie.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Two of my favorite classic movies were critical and commercial failures before they were re-appreciated decades later:

The Night of the Hunter flopped so badly it was the first and last time actor Charles Laughton got to direct a movie.

Freaks fared even worse:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Two of my favorite classic movies were critical and commercial failures before they were re-appreciated decades later:

The Night of the Hunter flopped so badly it was the first and last time actor Charles Laughton got to direct a movie.

I love this movie.

rav3n

Reservoir Dogs did make money but not a lot. The only thing that saved it from being a flop was because it had a very low production budget of $1.2M. Love this movie and its paradoxical characters.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Reservoir Dogs did make money but not a lot. The only thing that saved it from being a flop was because it had a very low production budget of $1.2M. Love this movie and its paradoxical characters.

It only ran in 61 theaters so that was to be expected. It had a lot of buzz and acclaim from the start, it just wasn't really widely known until after Pulp Fiction came out, I think. I know I didn't see it until after I saw Pulp Fiction.

There were some walkouts due to the violence (most notoriously, the ear scene).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do people think of Titanic now that 20 years has passed?

Also, Braveheart -- I liked this film a LOT the first time I saw, then with repeated viewings liked it less. It didn't help that historically speaking a lot of it is a wash, it's pretty much just woven together by Randall Wallace (Wallace's descendant). I mean, it's filmed beautifully and shot well, and hits a lot of dramatic beats -- but those beats also often are so accentuated as to feel contrived now. I found myself preferring the grittier, more realistic (and understated/nuanced) Rob Roy that came out around the same time.

I actually love both of those movies. Have watched each of them at least five times.

I guess "It's a Wonderful Life" is an obvious example. I didn't actually enjoy the latter half of it when I finally saw it last year, the first half was actually kind of interesting with the actual life and times of George Bailey. But it was a film that mainly became a cultural icon because the rights were sold so cheaply compared to other Christmas classics, so it was aired repeatedly and extensively and got embedded in the public mind.

This was my first thought. I've watched that one even more times (6, 7?). Funny you've hit three of my top 10/15 movie favorites. This describes the story of It's a Wonderful Life. It didn't do as badly as the common perception initially as it was nominated for some academy awards and won one of them, but it lost money at the box office.

It's a Wonderful Life - Wikipedia

rav3n

It only ran in 61 theaters so that was to be expected. It had a lot of buzz and acclaim from the start, it just wasn't really widely known until after Pulp Fiction came out, I think. I know I didn't see it until after I saw Pulp Fiction.
Same.

There were some walkouts due to the violence (most notoriously, the ear scene).
Such a different time in history, considering the popularity of the horror genre and all its gore. Even though I used to be a major wuss about gore, Reservoir Dogs didn't bother me. The ear scene was and is one of my faves from the movie because of the absurdity of a dancing psychopath. Madsen outdid himself and was underrated for that scene.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually love both of those movies. Have watched each of them at least five times.

Yeah, I have probably seen Titanic four times and Braveheart 7-8 times, it looks gorgeous in the 4K transfer with all the landscape shots.

This describes the story of It's a Wonderful Life. It didn't do as badly as the common perception initially as it was nominated for some academy awards and won one of them, but it lost money at the box office.

Well, it got a technical achievement award (special award), for how it simulated falling snow, but didn't win in any category it was nominated in. However, Capra did win a Golden Globe for Best Director that year for it.

I like Jimmy Stewart a lot, he was quite talented.

Same. Such a different time in history, considering the popularity of the horror genre and all its gore. Even though I used to be a major wuss about gore, Reservoir Dogs didn't bother me. The ear scene was and is one of my faves from the movie because of the absurdity of a dancing psychopath. Madsen outdid himself and was underrated for that scene.

I don't disagree with you, I handled it just fine and it kind of was something I'd never even seen before.

I will never forget Mr. Blonde. It actually was hard for Madsen to do (because he's not a psycho) -- I read that the ad libs used by the begging cop really threw him for a loop.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yeah, I have probably seen Titanic four times and Braveheart 7-8 times, it looks gorgeous in the 4K transfer with all the landscape shots.

It does, I watched Braveheart a couple weeks ago. I've always loved it, regardless of it's inaccuracies.

rav3n

I will never forget Mr. Blonde. It actually was hard for Madsen to do (because he's not a psycho) -- I read that the ad libs used by the begging cop really threw him for a loop.
He was brilliant since there was no evidence of discomfort in the role. You can usually tell discomfort by reading body language and microexpressions. This is usually when you fall out of your suspension of disbelief/immersion. Not a hint from him.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
17 Movie Bombs That Became Cult Classics | Best Life

Still not sure about Showgirls. I'm fascinated by the thought of Cats (2019) becoming a "Rocky Horror" style cult hit, I heard various reports of audiences hurling retorts at the screen in crowded theaters during opening weekend and that seemed to be more fun than the film.

This list, some of the films are actually good films that needed more viewings and thoughts (like Donnie Darko or Heathers). Others might just have become popular because they're just bad to the degree of becoming a fun watch.

I consider Wet, Hot, American Summer one of the films that are actually pretty good. I can remember a few diehard fans of The State (comedy troupe) being enthralled when this movie came out (myself being one of them), but for the most part it seemed to get overlooked. At first anyway. Attention for it slowly snowballed over the years, to the point where Netflix produced a couple seasons addition to it.

I don't think Carpenter's They Live got a huge reception initially (can't remember one), though it's got an enduring cult base.

eta: Would Mystery Men count? I seem to remember it not doing very well at the box office, and yet I didn't really know anyone (in my relative age group) who didn't love it. /eta

Dune (1984). Love this movie!

Yeah, it got a bad rap - even David Lynch himself pooh-poohs it now - but I've always loved it.