• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moral imperative for a housing crash... and permanent devaluation

ygolo

My termites win
For context, a few months ago:

F the banks. Help the builders.

Society kinda needs bankers to lose big this round given what happened in 2008.

Builders need to be supported to incentivize building. Realtors can make up on volume what they lose in commission size.

Some realtors get it:

Edit:
Also, you may have notices price histories are disappearing from places like Zillow. Don't think this disappearance in transparency is an accident. When they were going up for no reason, they'll advertise it to stoke the hype. When they are dropping, bye-bye information.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win
When the same exact material object (a home, in this case) becomes priced at triple the price after 3 years(of deteriotation), one has to question where that comes from.

You could say "we're not making new land". But that's more than a bit Malthusian.

Example Malthusian reasoning:
...Malthusian reasoning that helping the poor only encourages them to have more children and thereby exacerbate poverty.
Remember that Malthus was mainly looking for ways to rationalize why equality was bad.

We're not making new oxygen either.

But that's why we improve our systems. Ultimately, this means more density when it comes to housing. It's ridiculously simple logic. More people, same land, means more density.

It's weird to see my sentiments echo'd simultaneously by George Carlin earlier and now Elon Musk?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
We've spent 40 years of non stop pop culture bombardment of a message of lowering our empathy. For the last 20ish years we've had access to it EVERYWHERE 26 hours a day 365 days a year, no down time, no breaks, no conclusion of the broadcast day. Life imitates art. Art is financed by patrons, in a perfect world the patron finances the artist because they recognise the value of the vision the artist brings into the world. The cycle of creation flourishes and muses elevate society at large. But it is as the humans say, a complicated situation in practice. Patrons have always commissioned artists, but when the patrons become the muses too, suddenly all your heroes are wealthy all your villains are poor and nobody can trust anybody. It's all in the script.

consultingdemotivator_grande.jpeg

And the beat goes on...stuck on repeat.

ygolo

My termites win
Again, I am not a predictor, but these guys predicted the SVB failure.

Hopefully, we see it. It would be even better if it becomes permanent. Other non-human-need parts of the economy can continue to inflate. But housing(and other basic needs) ought to be put on a permanently deflationary trend.

I think a major key to this is platform leadership. Create a platform for building housing at exponential lower costs and basically own the entire market and transform humanity at the same time.

ygolo

My termites win
This is ridiculous and why people rightfully feel like the system is rigged:

The fed raising interest rates are finally having an effect of potentially making housing affordable again, and people are getting bailed out instead!!

Let commercial real estate crash, it's been clearly dying anyways. As I posted before, it's clear the zoning and the land use style that came from that allowed there to be an affordability crisis in residential real estate at the same time as the commercial side dies.

You can bring that into balance with removal of zoning restrictions, allowing mixed use, and yes getting residential real estate to crash even harder.

But after Powell raising interest rates till things break leads to the corporate profits hurting instead of the larger job market (some issues in tech but that's it), they get a bailout.

Real estate needs to crash hard. Let it!

We can deal with debt cancellation for individual home owners when it comes time.

But all the speculators need to eat it, not get bailed out.

Let there be more runs on banks, don't prop up dead real estate assets. Insure the people who has insurance.

ygolo

My termites win
California has come up with a shared appreciation, dream-for-all loan program:

I think this was cooked up by the real-estate lobby and NIMBYs to keep the home prices from crashing (which would be the natural thing).

This targeted so that the direct benefactors would be just the first time home buyers who could potentially be excluded due to down payment alone. There are plenty of people locked out of the 80%-150% of AMI. If home prices dropped, the whole ladder of people get homes. But now only a tiny fraction can get into home buying.

• People locked into tiny starter homes won't be able to move up, freezing up the supply further.
  • People who would have been able to afford the down payment and the loan if the home dropped in price the equivalent 20% are still locked out.
  • People avoiding moving closer to work mainly because of housing are also still locked in to their existing homes and locked out of new ones.

There are people thinking of getting married right now who may reconsider just for this. All this will do is get another generation of "haves" on the side of the home value NIMBYs.

For the people who take this, what happens if the assumption of housing always going up in price reverses? Are they still on the hook for the down payment? Can they subtract the depreciation?

If California can afford this, they could deal with home depreciation in some way as well.

edit: I think the intended indirect effect they are aiming for is to prop-up prices allowing speculators a pass.

Last edited:

ygolo

My termites win

With that much of a difference between other countries and the US, do we really think it's not either market manipulation, a bald-face lie, or just being incorrect?

It's funny how "there aren't enough houses" is once again the reason given for prices remaining high.

I understand that people feel the need to protect their home prices, and so will keep trying to prop them up by not letting supply back on the market, but prices aren't actual prosperity.

If the home prices crash, you still have your homes. What's changed is how much money you can trade your home for...and also how much you need for a new home. It's just inflation/deflation in housing...and remember people need homes to live in, not brag about or show off.

If equity becomes an issue, I feel like that's a much better place for governments to step in compared to what they're doing now.

Home price drops would unfreeze the supply. People could move closer to work, they could move into better school districts, people could just move.

But I suppose, protecting the "character of the neighborhood" (we know what that's code for) could be the real reason people don't want prices to drop.

I'm really hoping it's the number go up frenzy (it's the same as the crypto currency nonsense, and in my mind the cause of it) and not the "character" thing. The frenzy would be easier to stomach, but still problematic.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

With that much of a difference between other countries and the US, do we really think it's not either market manipulation, a bald-face lie, or just being incorrect? It's funny how "there aren't enough houses" is once again the reason given for prices remaining high.

To be honest I am curious about the videos that show decay of USA. In other words some people are driving around the country and showing abandoned or run down places. However the fact is that those videos are showing a huge amount of houses and buildings that aren't in that bad shape. So without not so large investment they can be livable places or sold to people who need a place at reasonable price. At face value the damage often looks terrible, however structural integrity seem to be fine in most cases. Someone just has to clean up the place.

ygolo

My termites win
To be honest I am curious about the videos that show decay of USA. In other words some people are driving around the country and showing abandoned or run down places. However the fact is that those videos are showing a huge amount of houses and buildings that aren't in that bad shape. So without not so large investment they can be livable places or sold to people who need a place at reasonable price. At face value the damage often looks terrible, however structural integrity seem to be fine in most cases. Someone just has to clean up the place.

Seriously, with huge swaths of nearly fixed up real estate just laying idle, the housing "supply shortage" seems more like market manipulation.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Seriously, with huge swaths of nearly fixed up real estate just laying idle, the housing "supply shortage" seems more like market manipulation.

Yes and no, the problem is that you need jobs to make place truly livable. From what I understand the places like the posted ones happened due to deindustrialization and people had to move in order to be able to pay their bills. However now when many work from home and there is plenty of homeless it would be reasonable to start thinking about the places that are abandoned but fundamentally still functional and structurally stable. I am not from US and this seems like my general local strategy: If the place is abandoned they should either fix it or they should crash the building and build something completely new on that place. What is important since this way you don't get dead blocks and abandoned neighborhoods. Plus you don't have to expand city infrastructure since you are fixing bad parts instead of building some completely new neighborhoods. What overall can save plenty of money on the long run and remove abandoned places where shady people will gather (what again saves money in the end).

ygolo

My termites win
In the US, some people will make it against zoning laws to demolish residential areas to have a place for commerce or industry and vice versa.

We had a whole section on how to build strong towns.

ygolo

My termites win

ygolo

My termites win
Again, people are pedaling the story that the housing affordablity crisis is over, but there's a long history and a long way down to go there.

Here is a story that can highlight why home prices aren't falling like a rock:

Again, not just the US:

The UK government program they lament, help-to-buy, sounds a lot like the California's new program.

ygolo

My termites win
The information manipulation and gaming the system continues.

Notice now on FRED. The affordability index only goes as far back as 2022.

Go to the National Association of Realtors directly, and there are scare tactics for reproduction of the data.

There is a change of how loans are going to be based on credit scores coming into effect on may 1st that some people are up-in-arms about.

There's been a campaign obviously going on to get people to think the "correction is over", even though not much of anything really changed. All they're doing is trying to get people to flip their psychology.

The government people to trying to "fix" affordable housing seem to try anything other than simply subsidizing builders to build more housing. Too direct for them, I guess.

ygolo

My termites win
I challenge people to find the home affordability index that goes all the way from 1950 through 2022.

It especially needs to show continuity between the dates, particularly including the time period between 2019 and 2022 (when we know the craziness happened)

ygolo

My termites win
This was from last month, about the real reason for the back to office calls:

About the commercial real estate bust coming out out earlier this year:

The excuses given for not converting offices to residences are given here:

Imagine if long term, these buildings we converted to mixed use that can flexibly go back and forth between residential and commercial?

You could have residences with natural light in the exterior, and lab space, maker space, or coworking in the interior. You could create "startup incubator towers" in the heart of San Francisco.

IDK, but it's clear that not much creativity is expended on these ideas because powers that be want the status quo.

San Francisco residents are complaining that it's turning into "Gotham city", but putting in so little effort in conversion of long vacant commercial space to residential space.

ygolo

My termites win

Here's the data on housing to pay, all the way through 2023, even after a slight "correction" (we can see why the NAR "affordability index" is a complete joke.)

Despite this, the financial media is saying things like this:

One real slap in the face after:

ygolo

My termites win
This to me is more evidence that the real estate industry is colluding(not in a back-room style necessarily, but through signaling and opinion manipulation) .

Here are some generic websites that do reviews reviewing one of the biggest i-buyers (opendoor):
yelp(2 start average)
trustpilot (1.5 star average)
BBB (1.43 star average)
sitejabber (1.2 star average)

Here are the reviews on housing specific websites:
houzeo (4.4 star average)
realestatewitch (4.3 stars average)
clever real estate (4.3 starts average)

There are exceptions:
homeopenly (1 star average)

I don't know how you can trust this industry's projections at all.