• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lana del Rey as Pop Culture Representation of Divine Feminine and Rejected Archetypes

Duffy

[MENTION=25411]Duffy[/MENTION]

I thought she was a 4, but others suggested that she is a 2, which I can see both rn. But 3? I really don't see that. I haven't read any books on the enneagram but I believe 3s are a lot more comfortable subscribing to the society's idea of a successful image. Not saying threes can't be creative, but she really doesn't strike me as a 3.

This fits her. She does the melancholia thing, but before that she had a different image. She ended up embracing the latter because it's what works. Criticism of her has been directed at her integrity / authenticity. Though I digress, it's been several years since I've read anything about her.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I am sorry, I do not understand artistic expression or Lana Del Ray as well as you do :(

d8b8f875a635ac504a0825245ca50d84.jpg

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

That was kind of meant to be funny, like if you don't stop I'll hang myself.

Anyway, these are sexy images, in my opinion.

b18b0a823d23fcf596208594d5b45883.jpg

f1c65031165115255148b2196da7ddbb.jpg

e086eadc15723c18bbc2f9ef453d91a6.jpg

830b4eb7e0cff0e192bbafc9df15d1de.jpg

2800e2ee52f0591997fea6bbaef08e05.jpg

In the last photo it's not so much about the picture of her, but that you can actually see her body. It's easy to find photos of her, even quasi nude, but it's very difficult to find pictures of her from behind. I don't know what that's about.

I also love this gif:

Lana Del Rey #LDR #GIF | Cashmere, Cologne, and White Sunshine | Pinterest | Lana Del, Lana del Rey and Color Highlights

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
(I am really not trying to be mean to E3 musicians, so if I am saying something ignorant, please correct me)
She is much too invested in what she is trying to convey. Love, daddy issues, life-death. She has always been that way. I don't really see her image changing that much, it's still her. I imagine E3 with a "mechanical heart" if you will, because of how out of touch they are with what they really want/need. They can still be talented but it's often less personal (Marina Diamandis for example).

Keep in mind all 3 are image types (2,3,4).
[MENTION=6877]Thalassa[/MENTION]

Have you heard of Martha Stout? I really liked her book "The Myth of Sanity" but her more popular one is "Sociopath next door" (meant primarily as a text on how to identify one and stay away). Both were very intelligent and insightful.

I'll look for that book. Also, I agree to no way on E3. They are detached from their heart center. If Lana isn't a 4, I believe it's her heart fix.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, I could see this.

Although I think Lykke Li is currently best match as Lynch music. I hope they're going to cooperate in future.

I am sorry I got way off of this and didn't respond sooner. ..But Lykke Li makes me think more of Khrystov Kieslowski, Park Chan-Wook, 60s Giallos, and 70s sexploitation. I imagine my ex, whom I no longer speak to, now considers Lykke Li his dream girl the way Lana is mine.

I do think Lana is more Lynch and Golden Era Hollywood and Jazz, mixed with 80s (which is why she's always running around in things like jelly shoes and Guns n Roses tee shirts).

I do like this quote from Lykke Li. She's definitely an interesting artist.

210a2f274c5d99c8bc931dc772b53f05.jpg

Do you also like Karin Dreijer Anderson from the Knife and Fever Ray? I have a lot of respect for her as an artist.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
In fact [MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION], out of respect I'll elaborate on what I mean. ..in the first few notes of the song you posted, I heard a tiny bit of Twin Peaks vocals, like Why did you goooo....but overall Lykke Li has a style too varied to be directly influenced by Lynch. Lana really grinds down on all of Lynch's major themes, while Lykke Li strikes me as someone who might be better suited to a career in film, it seems like she's studied a lot of film from the indie/foreign section, and to call her similar to Lynch with her overall style doesn't ring true to me.

Like...idk...Kieslowski's Blue:

This is what I meant by giallo/sexploitation, probably better fitted to Rob Zombie or Quentin Tarentino, in terms of contemporary film:

Kieslowski's Red? French New Wave?

Lars Von Trier? Werner Herzog? (This is my favorite BTW)

I have seen too many indie films to brand anyone symbolic as "Lynchian"...Lana captures the overall tone, themes, time period and jazz sound.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
lana del rey sings songs i even heard her one time on the radio singing a song i thought to myself this is a song it is a song by lana del rey.

after the song was over i thought that was a song by lana del rey and then another song came on the radio i don't remember who the song was by i don't think it was lana del rey but i also heard another song one time on the radio and it was also a song that was being sung by lana del rey and the person singing was lana del rey who was a woman and the woman was named lana del rey.

:thumbup:

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
That was kind of meant to be funny, like if you don't stop I'll hang myself.

Anyway, these are sexy images, in my opinion.

View attachment 16565

View attachment 16566

View attachment 16564

View attachment 16567

View attachment 16568

In the last photo it's not so much about the picture of her, but that you can actually see her body. It's easy to find photos of her, even quasi nude, but it's very difficult to find pictures of her from behind. I don't know what that's about.

I also love this gif:

Lana Del Rey #LDR #GIF | Cashmere, Cologne, and White Sunshine | Pinterest | Lana Del, Lana del Rey and Color Highlights

THE SECRET OF THE CREATOR OF THE UNIVERSE IS THAT IT IS INVISIBLE AND INDIVISIBLE

THROUGH SUCH KNOWLEDGE COMES FORTH THE NEW AEON OF HUMANKIND

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
lana del rey sings songs i even heard her one time on the radio singing a song i thought to myself this is a song it is a song by lana del rey.

after the song was over i thought that was a song by lana del rey and then another song came on the radio i don't remember who the song was by i don't think it was lana del rey but i also heard another song one time on the radio and it was also a song that was being sung by lana del rey and the person singing was lana del rey who was a woman and the woman was named lana del rey.

:thumbup:

Every interaction is an opportunity for conversion.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Oh it’s okay. I was thinking I get out off topic, but I definitely like that discussion. I should then precise what I meant too

I haven’t meant general style of Lykke Li, but I see that Lynch can get out of her exactly what I see as an essence of his soundtracks. – yes, mostly of Julee Cruise in Twin Peaks, but also something of Badalamenti's music in some of the movies idk “coming from the other world”;)

In case of Lana I see the danger behind of delicacy as something that relates to the creations of Lynch- and in that she relates to his movies more. But despite of her unique style, connecting the vintage with modern which makes her maybe out of the time, she stills make an impression on me like she is there and now in every word, while Lykke Li match more the dreamy style in my opinion. I know that’s probably all very subjective.

If we’re talking about likes I listen to them both, but I actually generally like music of Lana more. Although from her discography I still like the most album Born to Die + cover of Blue Velvet and Gatsby's Young and Beautiful

Interesting associations. The most interesting is to me that you linked Lykke Li with Kieslowski. He’s my favourite director. I would never think of that, I strongly associate him with classical music of Preisner but No Rest For The Wicked really does have something of “Red”.

Do you also like Karin Dreijer Anderson from the Knife and Fever Ray? I have a lot of respect for her as an artist.

Honestly I know only song Heartbeats by the Knife. I will look into it.:)

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=6877]Thalassa[/MENTION] [MENTION=24824]Kas[/MENTION]

What do you two think of In This Moment? I'm not as involved in the extra stuff of any of my musical interests as you guys are, but I do see on the face of it some similar themes--although with a sort of reversed trend in terms of persona-to-raw. She went from raw-to-persona in my mind.

II mostly just like her for her meta-songs and guitar, but still. :p :D

Kas

Fabula rasa
[MENTION=6877]

What do you two think of In This Moment? I'm not as involved in the extra stuff of any of my musical interests as you guys are, but I do see on the face of it some similar themes--although with a sort of reversed trend in terms of persona-to-raw. She went from raw-to-persona in my mind.

II mostly just like her for her meta-songs and guitar, but still. :p :D

It's not really my music. I know them little tbh

Do you mean it as the evolution of the musician? Or what impression she makes on you? Or something else?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
It's not really my music. I know them little tbh

Ah. Curse this genre gap. :p

Do you mean it as the evolution of the musician? Or what impression she makes on you? Or something else?

Well, compare:

to

In the first, she could be talking about a personal experience, albeit in metaphors--I know from comments and things on videos that she had a bit of a rough childhood, to put it mildly. The second is clearly a bit more impersonal, and I recall some interview of her where she as saying something along the lines of "Everyone needs a little bit of fantasy in their life" as an explanation for either this song or another one on the album. The song doesn't represent her own personal feelings, but rather her as a sort of archetype, though not one meant to be explored so much as Lana's.

That said, there are some definitely personal ones on that very album, but the "ideal" ones have gone up in number. Not that I'm complaining though. They're good stuff.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Ah. Curse this genre gap. :p

Haha don't be like this, I listen to metal music too, but rather more classical

Well, compare:

to

In the first, she could be talking about a personal experience, albeit in metaphors--I know from comments and things on videos that she had a bit of a rough childhood, to put it mildly. The second is clearly a bit more impersonal, and I recall some interview of her where she as saying something along the lines of "Everyone needs a little bit of fantasy in their life" as an explanation for either this song or another one on the album. The song doesn't represent her own personal feelings, but rather her as a sort of archetype, though not one meant to be explored so much as Lana's.

That said, there are some definitely personal ones on that very album, but the "ideal" ones have gone up in number. Not that I'm complaining though. They're good stuff.

Yes, the difference is clear. I think what I heard before was from "Black Widow" and as the all album is clearly designed and created to get the particular effect, while the first video you posted is more of rough and natural(actually I think that I like it better). Thanks, that's interesting... :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh it’s okay. I was thinking I get out off topic, but I definitely like that discussion. I should then precise what I meant too

I haven’t meant general style of Lykke Li, but I see that Lynch can get out of her exactly what I see as an essence of his soundtracks. – yes, mostly of Julee Cruise in Twin Peaks, but also something of Badalamenti's music in some of the movies idk “coming from the other world”;)

In case of Lana I see the danger behind of delicacy as something that relates to the creations of Lynch- and in that she relates to his movies more. But despite of her unique style, connecting the vintage with modern which makes her maybe out of the time, she stills make an impression on me like she is there and now in every word, while Lykke Li match more the dreamy style in my opinion. I know that’s probably all very subjective.

If we’re talking about likes I listen to them both, but I actually generally like music of Lana more. Although from her discography I still like the most album Born to Die + cover of Blue Velvet and Gatsby's Young and Beautiful

Interesting associations. The most interesting is to me that you linked Lykke Li with Kieslowski. He’s my favourite director. I would never think of that, I strongly associate him with classical music of Preisner but No Rest For The Wicked really does have something of “Red”.

Honestly I know only song Heartbeats by the Knife. I will look into it.:)

She's so awesome. My favorite Knife song is A Tooth for an Eye, I also like Pass This On. But Fever Ray despite its poppy implications is totally experimental. ..If I had a Heart is good, Leave the Streets Empty is my favorite. ..I think you might prefer Fever Ray if you are into Lykke Li.