• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I am my type, but don't "look" it. Why?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have no reason whatso ever to doubt your type. also i think you can sometimes come across as extra anal and unwieldy and unreasonable. but i disagree, except the anal part your just one of those people, but this isn't a bad thing and people think oh blah blah blah he's a dick but i've fought with you but i actually like you as a human and yeah but you actually care. you aren't one of those people who pretends to call people out for not following the rules to stir shit, but rather because you actually believe in rules. i don't know what this has to do with you type oh yes i think this is why people say ESTJ because that is very sj stereotype. while i don't hate you though i don't hate [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] either and she is a real estj so i don't know the answer. i think everyone else has said this.

That also sounds a lot like my Fe dom father. Jesus, he can be anal and can seem unreasonable when it comes to rules, but I've come to accept that's his nature, and it can be endearing, particularly when he's "on my side." He also has a rebellious streak in him that can surface when he's decided a rule is bullshit or that authorities or "experts" simply don't know what they're talking about.

I've only interacted with Hard online, but it's a bit eerie how much he reminds me of my dad.
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION], go easy on your kid if you, by any chance, happen to have a I--P son. :laugh: j/k

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That also sounds a lot like my Fe dom father. Jesus, he can be anal and can seem unreasonable when it comes to rules, but I've come to accept that's his nature, and it can be endearing, particularly when he's "on my side." He also has a rebellious streak in him that can surface when he's decided a rule is bullshit or that authorities or "experts" simply don't know what they're talking about.

I've only interacted with Hard online, but it's a bit eerie how much he reminds me of my dad.
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION], go easy on your kid if you, by any chance, happen to have a I--P son. :laugh: j/k

yeah he's good to me, despite me being an INFP and him not liking them, but not many people like INFPs hell sometimes i don't like INFPs either. I think he'd be a good dad to an I--P

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeah he's good to me, despite me being an INFP and him not liking them, but not many people like INFPs hell sometimes i don't like INFPs either. I think he'd be a good dad to an I--P

INFPs get a bad rep, especially online. It seems a bit unfair and usually arises out of a lot of silly misconceptions. I'm not saying that's the case with Hard, but I think it is with many people.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
INFPs get a bad rep, especially online. It seems a bit unfair and usually arises out of a lot of silly misconceptions. I'm not saying that's the case with Hard, but I think it is with many people.

oh i know i don't mind if people don't like me (well i do i reeally do) but it's less hurtful if its legit. where i have a problem is they see i'm INFP and start hating me solely based on that. but oh they're not judgemental or typist. its the people that say something racist and go it's ok my friend is black. so i have black friends if i say something racist it's still racist me having a black friend doesn't make me less so.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Poki made a case in another thread some time back about why he thought he was ISTP and not ESTP. Maybe he's the Ti subtype of ESTp in socionics?

My only impression of him is based on his arguments in the free will thread, which are not what I would expect from a genuine Ti dom.

I thought wolfy wavered between ISTP and ISFP

Maybe his wavering is being caused by both of those types being wrong.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My only impression of him is based on his arguments in the free will thread, which are not what I would expect from a genuine Ti dom.

Do you have a link (I'm too lazy to search)?

Either way, I kind of doubt he'll care how we type him.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I kind of doubt that anyone really falls into the stereotype of their type in any system :shrug:

as an example, I can come across as very Fe at times, but it's not really coming from anything that's really deep seated or that I can feel... it's coming from what makes sense to me rationally (and what will get people to quit annoying me)

we learn behaviors and we learn to act as needed at times :)

Jaguar

I kind of doubt that anyone really falls into the stereotype of their type in any system :shrug:

as an example, I can come across as very Fe at times, but it's not really coming from anything that's really deep seated or that I can feel... it's coming from what makes sense to me rationally (and what will get people to quit annoying me)

we learn behaviors and we learn to act as needed at times :)

I don't think people are operating with the same definition of function-attitudes when they post, so when Bob is talking about Fe, Ethel is thinking about one thing, and Joe is thinking about something that has nothing to do with what Bob or Ethel are thinking.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]

I think the need to "perform" type is probably one of the most detrimental aspects of participating in a forum like this. The idea with any of this stuff is to get to know yourself as you are, so who cares if you "seem" like your type? It's only problematic if you've developed an identity around your type.

Could you be ESTP? Sure why not. You have an interaction style that reminds me of ESTPs I've known, but if being ENFJ helps you get a handle on certain elements of your personality better then be ENFJ. At the end of the day it's about what's useful to you.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I think the need to "perform" type is probably one of the most detrimental aspects of participating in a forum like this. The idea with any of this stuff is to get to know yourself as you are, so who cares if you "seem" like your type? It's only problematic if you've developed an identity around your type.

Could you be ESTP? Sure why not. You have an interaction style that reminds me of ESTPs I've known, but if being ENFJ helps you get a handle on certain elements of your personality better then be ENFJ. At the end of the day it's about what's useful to you.

Also, types can present themself in a huge variety of ways. Pigeonholing a type for how it "seems" in demeanor and actions is really limiting, and kind of negates the beauty of the fact that an INTJ could be a musician or a scientist and receive stimulation from both. In the end it's all about mapping out the way you navigate your way through the world.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think people are operating with the same definition of function-attitudes when they post, so when Bob is talking about Fe, Ethel is thinking about one thing, and Joe is thinking about something that has nothing to do with what Bob or Ethel are thinking.

:laugh: that was kind of my point... except that I've been taking all of the courses on hazmat and terrorists today and my brain is more focused on transportation containers for hazardous materials :doh:

what appears to make sense to the forum does not translate to how things actually work

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was a stubborn assed and pompous bastard for thinking I had to be brillant enough to operate 100% independent 100% of the time.

[...]

For many, many years I FORCED my Ni to operate in a pure vacuum all the time because I felt I was dumb, stupid, ineffective, and a poor excuse for a person if I couldn't get it to operate stand alone. I got things to work well though, and I like how it goes.
Same. On all counts. Including being a stubborn bastard about it.
I want the door to face approach to work more than persuasion. Want doesn't make so though. Often times I will thing "ugh, I don't want to waste my time and expend all this energy trying to deal with this bullshit. Can't I just, you know, make em bend by sheer force and will? It's so much faster". It's worked for me more than others would assume, but it does make bad blood if it's done poorly. I don't really know any other of the ENFJ's that I know that do this. One of them kind of does, but hers is born of a different motivation (2w1 stuff).
I see what "should" happen, and I want to get from "is" to "should" as quickly as possible. If door-to-face worked, life would be much simpler for me.. and for the chip on my shoulder. I can get really impatient on important matters. But my approach is different, and it looks to be more along the lines of your friends'. Although I do want to just want to get to the damn end already, I usually fail to recognize when and where a direct approach will actually work.

As far as opinions I just... have to voice them. I can't explain it, but it eats at me if I have to keep too many in. They just gotta come out. One of my ENFJ friends is like me with this, where they just need to come out. However she doesn't have nearly as many as I do (the same 2w1 I mentioned above, we could pass as sibblings we're so alike).
is a ESFJ e3 lecturer I once had. Essentially while his opinions where just as black and white, he seemed intent on winning people over, a sort of inclusive ultimatum. You don't seem terribly concerned if others agree or not.Harsh versus soft delivery. Though a lot of that can be tied into e3 behaviour, hence the uncertainty.
... guilty as charged. Damn.

This absolutely describes my relationship with opinions. I have them, I stand by them, they're by and large good assessments, and to the degree that they're good I want to see them enacted. I don't usually care whether they're expressed for any other purpose.

For lack of a better way to put it -- some people, perhaps only at some moments in time, are "lost causes." Something about horse, water, leading, and drinking.

I don't tend to make enemies. I don't (completely) bend over backwards to not make them, but I also don't actively seek them out, either. "We disagree? We'll always disagree? There's nothing at stake, at all? Then fuck it. Ain't gonna bother." I don't mean it in a self-pitying, self-loathing, negative, despairing way -- it's just how the priorities in the back of my mind work.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have tested as istp for a very long time. I know several ESTPs in life and I am no where near as extroverted as they are. But that aside, when it comes to Se we are ALOT alike. I am a more mental introverted version of ESTP.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have tested as istp for a very long time. I know several ESTPs in life and I am no where near as extroverted as they are. But that aside, when it comes to Se we are ALOT alike. I am a more mental introverted version of ESTP.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

When I first joined a few months ago and lurked the older threads, I briefly thought that you had a more forceful personality than I would've expected from an Fe-dom. Then I saw your etype and wasn't surprised anymore.

That's about 40% a joke btw.

Anyway, from only a few months of (until fairly recently) indirect interaction, I don't think your behavior and personality type are exceptionally contradictory. Even if it were, actual personalities and web personas don't always match up neatly and unless the individual is expressing doubt about their own type, I assume they have better insight to themselves than I do.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
"I am my type, but don't look it."

Why?

Because typology is not an exact discipline. Psychology is a social science, and treads in the grey area between the objective and the subjective. Hence, you cannot expect every person here to fit into a neat box. In fact I would expect most not to. A walking stereotype would be curious, but rather boring at the same time.

Typing yourself accurately is more a matter of elimination: figure out what type you feel you are the most like.

Finally, you have one big advantage over any random on the internet in assessing your type. You actually have access to your own thoughts and feelings, whereas we can only imagine them.

I don't look like my type online, either - not at all! But that is what makes us interesting. We defy what people would expect. It is when you introspect on why you behave the way you do that you true type/s become clear...and of courses these nuances are hidden from others. All I see is your behaviour. I can only guess at why you behave the way you do.

Test results are probably the best you can do outside a professional assessment.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"I am my type, but don't look it."

Why?

Because typology is not an exact discipline. Psychology is a social science, and treads in the grey area between the objective and the subjective. Hence, you cannot expect every person here to fit into a neat box. In fact I would expect most not to. A walking stereotype would be curious, but rather boring at the same time.

Typing yourself accurately is more a matter of elimination: figure out what type you feel you are the most like.

Finally, you have one big advantage over any random on the internet in assessing your type. You actually have access to your own thoughts and feelings, whereas we can only imagine them.

I don't look like my type online, either - not at all! But that is what makes us interesting. We defy what people would expect. It is when you introspect on why you behave the way you do that you true type/s become clear...and of courses these nuances are hidden from others. All I see is your behaviour. I can only guess at why you behave the way you do.

Test results are probably the best you can do outside a professional assessment.

This, I agree completely.