• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Honey Got Me Hooked on Honey

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it includes cinnamon as well, it's a great exfoliater..
I used to first wash my face with a sensitive skin soap, then apply milk then honey, then massage them a little bit on my face, then like 10 minutes later I apply cinnamon on them, then after washing my face, I apply a gelatin mask, then after peeling it, I apply milk+few drops of lemon.. Then I take an ice cube and close the porse :D
Wow I missed that, even though I did the honey+milk+cinnamon two weeks ago..
This basically leave my skin glowing and very soft and fresh

Ooh gelatin mask. I have no clue what that is.

It reminds me that there's this website called Peach & Lily that specializes in Korean skin care products. It's completely and utterly overwhelming to me, so I have yet to buy anything from it yet. I just know that the good people of South Korea are about 20 years ahead of us in their beauty technology, and I sincerely admire their dedication to looking great at all times.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I can't describe how widely and brightly I smiled at this thread

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've dabbled with manuka honey in the past. While it didn't really work for my acne & other inflammatory skin issues, I can attest it cleared up my friend's skin (hippie INTP), & kept it clear. Also, when one of my mother's cats split open his hock, right at the joint - bone exposed & all - the vet applied gauze with manuka honey repeatedly, to help it close/prevent infection. Due to the location of the wound, it split open a few more times, & she used different topicals with gauze each time. Wound healing took longer with everything but the manuka honey. She eventually returned to that.

You can find manuka honey treated gauze pads at drugstores like CVS for humans. Thought it may be relevant to the thread.

CVS Health Sterile Manuka Honey Adhesive Pads - CVS.com

The link will take you to the set of 3 huge pads for $13.99. They come in 8-count smaller sized, for $9.99, though.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've dabbled with manuka honey in the past. While it didn't really work for my acne & other inflammatory skin issues, I can attest it cleared up my friend's skin (hippie INTP), & kept it clear. Also, when one of my mother's cats split open his hock, right at the joint - bone exposed & all - the vet applied gauze with manuka honey repeatedly, to help it close/prevent infection. Due to the location of the wound, it split open a few more times, & she used different topicals with gauze each time. Wound healing took longer with everything but the manuka honey. She eventually returned to that.

You can find manuka honey treated gauze pads at drugstores like CVS for humans. Thought it may be relevant to the thread.

CVS Health Sterile Manuka Honey Adhesive Pads - CVS.com

The link will take you to the set of 3 huge pads for $13.99. They come in 8-count smaller sized, for $9.99, though.

Do you think those pads would help with scarring?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Maybe, due to their moisture content. In my experience, though, Aquaphor is your best bet for scarring. That's what my plastic surgeon suggested after reconstructive surgery on disfiguring facial scars I had. Massage Aquaphor into the scar for 2-3 minutes at bedtime, and generously apply sunscreen during the day. It can take up to 18 months for a scar to fully mature. All that time before, you have a chance to treat and protect it for the best possible outcome in terms of appearance and elasticity. For older scars, chemical peels or fraxel laser will be more effective. Chemical peels include topical acne meds like Retin-A. But always - ALWAYS - use sunscreen. Year-round, fair or overcast. If the sun is out, you are absorbing UV.

Last edited:

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I've used those manuka honey bandages from CVS on large skin abrasions from a chemical burn. The honey magically swells ups and absorbs the liquid from the wound. They're terrific, but you have to change them every day.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've used those manuka honey bandages from CVS on large skin abrasions from a chemical burn. The honey magically swells ups and absorbs the liquid from the wound. They're terrific, but you have to change them every day.

Sounds like they work similarly on wounds as the hydrocolloidal bandages do. They look and feel like a second skin, maintaining the moisture balance around the wound, absorbing exudate but keeping the wound from totally drying out. I love those things.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Sounds great, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend so much money.

Is it pure gold? The colour is right.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes one of my friends actually slathered it on his gums when he pulled his own rotten tooth. It actually works!

I don't eat much honey, and only then, in things like granola bars, because I'm honestly out to lunch on the ethics of it. As a vegan, I honestly don't see insect exploitation anything near the level of exploiting mammals and birds, even marine life, and from an environmental standpoint am actually pretty excited about. ..other people. ..eating locusts. But the environmental conservation argument about bees is split, some people say it's actually better for bee populations. Without bees we are fucked, so I am cautious. They aren't bed bugs or cock roaches.

I'm personally pretty crazy about coconut oil. I wash my face in it and made both toothpaste and deodorant with it. I also like it mixed with sweet things, but I otherwise don't cook with it because I did once with tofu and it was pretty gag worthy, but I know some people love to cook with it.

Oh, and for anyone who wants to start an argument about pulling your own teeth or "farmacy" I'm just going to stop you in advance, because I know people die from tooth infections, and so does the person who did it, but bear in mind all of the people who don't have dental insurance, or who do things out of sad habit by being raised by parents who couldn't afford a dentist, to which some aspects of "farmacy" are better than simply dying or becoming sicker from complete lack of medical care. While I agree some procedures are necessary (yes car accident victims and people with terminal illness should go to the hospital) a lot of the medical profession is optional at best, and at worst a harmful overpriced racket in the US.

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I looove honey, but I never had luck using it to clear up my skin. :( In college I would make masks out of aspirin and honey in vain attempts to get rid of my acne and very clogged pores. It never seemed to help at all though. The only thing that's managed to clear mine is birth control.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
While I'm on here slightly drunk after a night out, let me comment that Manuka Honey did wonders for me while I was abroad in New Zealand. On multiple occasions when I was sick I would consume it to lubricate my throat and I would put it in my tea as well, and it really did do me wonders.

Because my skin is usually relatively easy to maintain (just keeping a healthy diet and drinking a healthy amount of water) I never really tried any facial masks incorporating it but I have no doubt it'd have those same kinds of therapeutic effects.

In terms of taste...without a doubt the best honey I've ever had. I think it goes well with almost anything, and I'd even eat it on its own sometimes on occasion by dipping my finger in the jar.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Maybe, due to their moisture content. In my experience, though, Aquaphor is your best bet for scarring. That's what my plastic surgeon suggested after reconstructive surgery on disfiguring facial scars I had. Massage Aquaphor into the scar for 2-3 minutes at bedtime, and generously apply sunscreen during the day. It can take up to 18 months for a scar to fully mature. All that time before, you have a chance to treat and protect it for the best possible outcome in terms of appearance and elasticity. For older scars, chemical peels or fraxel laser will be more effective. Chemical peels include topical acne meds like Retin-A. But always - ALWAYS - use sunscreen. Year-round, fair or overcast. If the sun is out, you are absorbing UV.

[MENTION=22178]magpie[/MENTION], I have had a pretty good experience with honey clearing up acne scars, but I can also fully attest to what Lexi says here about Aquaphor for scar and wound healing.

She had me use it a few years ago after an incredibly unfortunate situation involving a brow wax while I was still on Retin-A. Much lifting ensued, and I walked around most of the afternoon looking like I had hamburger for eyebrows.

Per Lexi's advice, I put on the Aquaphor a couple times a day for like 3 days and the wound had completely healed with no scarring whatsoever.

Sounds great, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend so much money.

Is it pure gold? The colour is right.

If you go back to earlier in the thread, there was a discussion with [MENTION=179]iwakar[/MENTION] of raw honey + tea tree oil as a more cost effective alternative. The raw honey will run you about $10-12/lb depending on where you get it, and the tea tree oil can be as little as $4 for a bottle. Both will last you a while.

[MENTION=1206]cascadeco[/MENTION] also mentioned having pretty good results with just regular honey as well.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So as an update, my skin broke out a lot a few days ago; the day following the first Tea Tree Water+ honey cleanse.

However since then it's calmed down some. I did another cleanse the day before yesterday, and also one an hour or so ago.

I need to say though that I know that the tea tree toner I have purged some of the crap in my skin last year when I used it, so I know it does something. But this time around, I don't actually have Raw honey, so I'm not sure the regular honey I'm using is actually doing any good? Probably not much? I'm going to check out buying the raw honey the next time I'm in a store.

Also I'm recalling why I stopped the tea tree cleansing last year; I think I may be allergic to something in it (though it's not pure oil so I'm thinking it could be the juniper or grapefruit in it). My sinuses just went crazy after using it an hour ago.

So my experiment is going to be to buy pure tea tree oil along with the raw honey. I'll update whenever I do that and have used that cleanse a few times. :)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So as an update, my skin broke out a lot a few days ago; the day following the first Tea Tree Water+ honey cleanse.

However since then it's calmed down some. I did another cleanse the day before yesterday, and also one an hour or so ago.

That's exactly what happened to me. My skin was horrible for almost a week. I treated it pretty aggressively with benzoyl peroxide spot treatments until it cleared up.

The purging stopped after the first 3-5 days. My skin gradually improved over the following week or so. I didn't see dramatic improvements until I'd been doing the masks for about 3-4 weeks of doing them daily.

I need to say though that I know that the tea tree toner I have purged some of the crap in my skin last year when I used it, so I know it does something. But this time around, I don't actually have Raw honey, so I'm not sure the regular honey I'm using is actually doing any good? Probably not much? I'm going to check out buying the raw honey the next time I'm in a store.

Also I'm recalling why I stopped the tea tree cleansing last year; I think I may be allergic to something in it (though it's not pure oil so I'm thinking it could be the juniper or grapefruit in it). My sinuses just went crazy after using it an hour ago.

So my experiment is going to be to buy pure tea tree oil along with the raw honey. I'll update whenever I do that and have used that cleanse a few times. :)

The tea tree oil helps because it has antimicrobial properties as well. It is not strictly necessary, though. Tea tree oil can also be pretty harsh on the skin if it's not properly diluted. I only use it in my moisturizer. I'll do maybe 2-3 parts coconut oil for 1 part tea tree oil and it's still a bit strong.

As for the kind of honey you're using, like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I started off using raw honey I just had in my house, then upgrade around week 2-3 to manuka because I was pleased with the results I was seeing. Honey doesn't require any additives to work, so if you're having irritation with the things you're putting in it, then...don't add it. :p I

t's usually best with these things to start simply and customize according to your needs once you know what the baseline results for a product are.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any suggestions for how to do this if you have a beard????
Sure. You'd just have to massage it into the skin beneath the hair, if that's where you're having breakouts.

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
i love manuka honey, it doesn't cost quite as much here.