• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Halloween! What are some movies you like to watch during this time?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I watched 1960's "Village of the Damned" last night. It was only 1:17, so pretty fast watch. But they didn't rush stuff -- they took their time. It actually was more intense than I expected. (Hmmm, I find myself saying this more and more lately, watching older films. Maybe I need to recalibrate my expectations for 50+ year old films.)

Like, okay, I was expect everything to be glossed over and the violence to be laughable. But no. There's an early scene where an innocent dies because someone else screws up. And then the children actually murder a few individuals, one in a pretty horrific way reminiscent of heavy metal druggie suicides. The difference is that you don't see the gory aftermath (you just see reactions to it), but wow -- I mean, there was some actual "holy...!" moments here.

The one thing I didn't like was the "father" of David, who was also a lead scientist. They only explore the scientific end -- he vies for David's (and the others') lives because of the scientific breakthroughs that occur, where the opposition is all about, "safety first!". I was like, "good grief, man... what about the fact he's your kid?" I mean, the kids age quickly, but still you would grow attached normally to someone who you've had to care for for a few years and gotten to know.

Anyway, aside from shying away from the complexity of parental love, it was more complex and harrowing than I expected.

And since I got that done early in the day, I ended up treating myself to a freebie last night -- "Angel Heart" directed by Alan Parker, starring Mickey Rourke. It's a flawed movie, sure (the script needed a bit more ironing out near the end, it's easy to get a little confused about the back story), and I wish they'd CGI the eyes to make them look less clunky (it's just a tweak, man)... but I love how this movie makes me feel... sad, nostalgic, horrific, gut-punched, grimy, creepy-crawly. it's saturated in tone and mood. Mickey Rourke looks like he was peeled off a dirty NYC sewer grate, yet you still empathize with him, which is extremely important for this film.

I'm glad to see that it's become something of a cult favorite, after getting somewhat panned during initial release. In fact, it often makes some 'best of" lists now. If you haven't seen it, it's a crazy watch, before I even consider the multiple murders....

Anyway, if you can stomach the blood and the voodoo and you're into "mood" flicks, highly recommended. Also keep an eye out on all symbolism, certain imagery keeps appearing.

Steel Magnolias

man you are a masochist.
(save me some armadillo cake.)

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was thinking to myself the other day that i can't think of a movie with events occuring on halloween that i enjoy more than donnie darko...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finished up with Hereditary for this year, it's my second watch of the film and it was easier to pick up all the detail on the second watch now that I knew what I was looking for. During the first watch, I think the focus is on what is real / what framework is underlying the plot. Is there something supernaturally nefarious occurring or is it a hereditary psychosis that is driving the lead character's perceptions? What is real? Unfortunately, it's hard then to notice detail because you're not sure where to file it or what has relevance.

There's a purposeful line blur between reality and fantastic perception anyway -- Annie's construction of small houses / panoramas, which are designed to be realistic even while the events within them can seem on occasion to be surreal, are meant to comment on the construction of the protagonists' lives.... they ALSO are living out a preordained reality (whether due to genetic or supernatural decree). The film both opens and ends with them (along with all the stuff in the middle), where the camera zooms into the diorama and it becomes reality or pulls back from reality to become the diorama. There's also classroom discussion about whether it's more tragic for people in myths to make choices that doom them or to realize that their doom was foretold and nothing they choose matters. This ongoing parallel metaphor (with the line blurred between the sides) as well as the meta of the film is one of its strengths and also unsettling.

Even knowing what's coming, there's still a lot of freakout in this film, due to the extremity of what unfolds as well as the breaking of trope. There are a few jump scares that are completely unexpected, unlike the scares typically perpetuated in mass film market; and there are unexpected plot twists that change the nature of the story unexpectedly; and it's never really predictable what will happen next. It's like being on a night-time coaster ride with lots of twists and turns and the only things visible give no guidance as to what is on the tracks, so you're jerked about unexpected, back and forth; there seems to be a number of critically acclaimed horror in the last few years that audiences have not liked nearly as much, and I think this is why... I call them "feel bad" horror films, where you're actually made to feel unsettled without a clear resolution of what might happen, and where mottled but overall sympathetic people have bad things happen to them. (Typically horror justifies its abuses on its characters by portraying them as deserving of punishment in some way, if they are ultimately punished, or as overall good people and thus victims who end up triumphing over evil in the end; but when bad things happen to good people, or at least people who are trying? Audiences don't enjoy that as much.)

In any case, there's basically choices and destinies that we think we can pick between ourselves, but some situations are unavoidable (such as what your family passes down to you either genetically or environmentally)....

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Uh, there are a ton to choose from. Donnie Darko, oh my. Back when it came out I was obsessed with this movie and noone around me could understand why.
Tales from the crypt
Corpse Bride
The Halloween episodes of Sabrina the teenage witch (this series was so ridiculous :D Salem was an interesting personality though. Rarely found in any shows)
The Ring 0-3 (Japanese version)
Room 1408
Stephen King's Red Rose

... The list goes on.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i was thinking to myself the other day that i can't think of a movie with events occuring on halloween that i enjoy more than donnie darko...

It helps that a lot of the dialogue is really funny. Like the smurf speech, and this gem.

Girl 1: What are feces?
Girl2: I think they're baby mice.
Girl3: Aww.

Mary McDonnell is also delightful.

Tomb1

The young kid in Halloween 2018 was effin hilarious. My lady and I laughed well....The audience laughed loudly.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why, the man with the same birthday as me, who else??

funny-pictures-jason-quote.jpg

Aside from Donnie Dark of course

Tomb1

Killer Klowns From Outer Space also cracked me up. The sequel was supposed to come out in September.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've still been doing my annual Hallowscream watch (13 films through end of October), from a variety of horror genres and across different decades. Most are pretty decent, although quality can vary. Here are my lists from the last few years, although I started in 2015. I haven't really thought about 2022 yet.

Last edited:

GoggleGirl17

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't typically like watching the same thing more than once, but I do have a few options for this year I'm interested in which I haven't seen: Nope, Midsommar, Slenderman, and I'm especially looking forward to finding more short films about SCPs like the one below.

Also want to watch some spooky but mostly hilarious LPs.

Last edited: