• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gender Essentialism, Genderqueer theory and Transgender stuff

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This has been part of my question.

I can certainly understand this, but I was wondering: if you ask a cis straight man what he would do if he suddenly became female 9 times out of 10 say he would say he would look at himself in the mirror and touch himself and masturbate and stuff. I would turn myself on if I became a man I think because I'm attracted to men. Heck, I'm attracted to women too and I turn myself on as a woman. So I know being attracted to something and having it are different because being attracted to and sexual with something involves a sort of complimentarity, of polarities interacting in harmony apart from gender things, but can you identify with this at all? I don't know your sexual orientation, but if you are attracted to women can you find your body erotic?

It's not related to sexuality. I don't know why cis people make this more difficult than it is, tbh. It's not really that difficult at all. It's akin to saying, how do you know you should be born with the bits you are born with? If they aren't creating any discomfort, then you are clearly fine with them being as they are. How do you know you should have two arms? If you were born with only one arm or would end up in an accident losing an arm, I'm pretty sure you would feel as if something was missing, that you should indeed have two functional arms. Or how do you know that pimple on your nose feels as if it shouldn't be there? It feels more right or better when it's squished, right? Or you wouldn't squish it. It's exactly the same kind of bodily awareness. If you don't feel a problem with your bits, it doesn't mean you have no feeling at all concerning them. It means that you feel they are right and how do you know that? How do you know your bits are right?

The problem with gender and trans people is that cis tend to assume that since they don't inherently feel any problem with their bits and gender identity, this lack of feeling somehow makes it impossible to translate their experience to trans people except the feeling is just the same but reverse. It's that feeling of not having a feeling because it works but it feels it doesn't work. They think that since it is a non-issue, gender and identity is a non-issue, and our sense of bodily awareness is a non-issue too. I've seen it expressed a lot, Coriolis is actually one of the people who recently did and it bugs the fuck out of me beyond anything, which is the idea that gender doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to them. And they think it doesn't matter because a) it's a non-issue because they don't experience any problems and they don't because b) they claim that they are unconcerned about gender as a subject and think they are "androgyne" or something along those lines because they don't care but they don't care insofar that they are so cis they don't notice the stuff that is gendered in society.

As someone who for a long time thought I was one of those people who was agender/nongender/neutrois, I know the difference. When you are agender, gendered stuff still bothers you, especially when it attempts to categorize you into something you feel you are not, which is male/female and you can't escape this. You can't escape the fact that you will be ma'am'd or mister'ed or that public restrooms are separated based on gender or that shower utilities like schampoo or gel or deodorants or clothing parts or hobby stores are split based on gender and the list goes on. It is not an opinion of simply being unconcerned and it's a non-issue. Gender exists everywhere and is arguably one of the most pervasive concepts in society. You cannot have any social interaction without it being gendered in some way. It's impossible.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's not related to sexuality. I don't know why cis people make this more difficult than it is, tbh. It's not really that difficult at all. It's akin to saying, how do you know you should be born with the bits you are born with? If they aren't creating any discomfort, then you are clearly fine with them being as they are. How do you know you should have two arms? If you were born with only one arm or would end up in an accident losing an arm, I'm pretty sure you would feel as if something was missing, that you should indeed have two functional arms. Or how do you know that pimple on your nose feels as if it shouldn't be there? It feels more right or better when it's squished, right? Or you wouldn't squish it. It's exactly the same kind of bodily awareness. If you don't feel a problem with your bits, it doesn't mean you have no feeling at all concerning them. It means that you feel they are right and how do you know that? How do you know your bits are right?

The problem with gender and trans people is that cis tend to assume that since they don't inherently feel any problem with their bits and gender identity, this lack of feeling somehow makes it impossible to translate their experience to trans people except the feeling is just the same but reverse. It's that feeling of not having a feeling because it works but it feels it doesn't work. They think that since it is a non-issue, gender and identity is a non-issue, and our sense of bodily awareness is a non-issue too. I've seen it expressed a lot, Coriolis is actually one of the people who recently did and it bugs the fuck out of me beyond anything, which is the idea that gender doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to them. And they think it doesn't matter because a) it's a non-issue because they don't experience any problems and they don't because b) they claim that they are unconcerned about gender as a subject and think they are "androgyne" or something along those lines because they don't care but they don't care insofar that they are so cis they don't notice the stuff that is gendered in society.

As someone who for a long time thought I was one of those people who was agender/nongender/neutrois, I know the difference. When you are agender, gendered stuff still bothers you, especially when it attempts to categorize you into something you feel you are not, which is male/female and you can't escape this. You can't escape the fact that you will be ma'am'd or mister'ed or that public restrooms are separated based on gender or that shower utilities like schampoo or gel or deodorants or clothing parts or hobby stores are split based on gender and the list goes on. It is not an opinion of simply being unconcerned and it's a non-issue. Gender exists everywhere and is arguably one of the most pervasive concepts in society. You cannot have any social interaction without it being gendered in some way. It's impossible.
Very good points but I think the issue is more the categorization of your self versus your parts. Society tells us they go together in a certain way and if you feel different it is wrong, but might that be different given different gender associations?

I was asking about the eroticism just because some people experience a sort of hatred or disgust or other negative feelings for their bodies but that doesn't seem very erotic to me.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Very good points but I think the issue is more the categorization of your self versus your parts. Society tells us they go together in a certain way and if you feel different it is wrong, but might that be different given different gender associations?

I was asking about the eroticism just because some people experience a sort of hatred or disgust or other negative feelings for their bodies but that doesn't seem very erotic to me.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
You can't escape the fact that you will be ma'am'd or mister'ed or that public restrooms are separated based on gender or that shower utilities like schampoo or gel or deodorants or clothing parts or hobby stores are split based on gender and the list goes on. It is not an opinion of simply being unconcerned and it's a non-issue. Gender exists everywhere and is arguably one of the most pervasive concepts in society. You cannot have any social interaction without it being gendered in some way. It's impossible.

Oh my god, this. This complicates everything. Like fuck I can't even go shopping for clothes without thinking, "Am I passing enough that women would feel uncomfortable if I used their dressing room, but not passing enough for men to think I'm weird if I use theirs?" Bathrooms are god awful too. And why the hell are things like SHAMPOO gendered?! It's so stupid, I just want to go shopping without the people around me making me feel uncomfortable.

Also, [MENTION=15773]greenfairy[/MENTION] I would not be able to answer your question about the erotic stuff I think, I don't have much experience with it in the first place :laugh: But yeah, I don't think it's really related, since the whole gender/sexuality thing is separate.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
People have souls and are souls. Their brain may be male since the brain is their body but they may be female since they are souls and the soul may be female.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How do you know you have a soul? Is there a tag somewhere? Or was it on the Pieces Included list?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, I did the opposite. I identified feeling something was wrong with one's physical body as the part of gender dysphoria that made the most sense, since everything else is just a social construct. I compared it with feeling one was born with the wrong build, or skin/hair/eye color. Some of these are easier to correct than others, and than even physical sex attributes.

Some of these, like the highlighted, are easily dealt with. I am a woman and look like a woman, and have no compunction about buying products targeted at men, shopping in the men's part of stores, etc. I understand this approach doesn't work for completely segregated spaces like bathrooms and fitting rooms, but it deals with some of it.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp

I really found this post really interesting. I have never much thought about what it would be like to have a fundemental disconnect between how how one identifies vs. identification imposed by standards of society.

I do sort of suppose that gender is sort of a more fluid thing, you innately asscociate yourself somewhere on a line, but if where you relate happens to be too far away from the shades that society expects of you there will be a continuous knowledge of unbalance and unease.

To have gender sterotypes repeatedly enforced and made such a huge part of western culture, would just perpetuates the image that if one cannot completely 'be taught' to accept the cultural ideals, than they are just not utilizing their 'resources'.

You can pretend be a certain way for so long, and of course you are influenced by your environment, but as with personality, intelligence, and the like, you can only work with what is already there. If someone strongly, strongly, identifies naturally as a man, sure you can 'inform' them of 'traditionally' feminine behavior, and maybe they will adapt some of that into their mindset, and possibly be able to feign a movement towards what is pushed, but what is at the core is at the core.

Conforming to gender expectations placed upon by society only places a bandaid on wound that continues to fester. Being ma'md and sir'd almost seems like it would be a slap in the face, you want to be able to relate but you also know your true self and and know that at the end of the day you can never achieve the homeostasis expected. I have to read more about this.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really found this post really interesting. I have never much thought about what it would be like to have a fundemental disconnect between how how one identifies vs. identification imposed by standards of society.

I do sort of suppose that gender is sort of a more fluid thing, you innately asscociate yourself somewhere on a line, but if where you relate happens to be too far away from the shades that society expects of you there will be a continuous knowledge of unbalance and unease.

To have gender sterotypes repeatedly enforced and made such a huge part of western culture, would just perpetuates the image that if one cannot completely 'be taught' to accept the cultural ideals, than they are just not utilizing their 'resources'.
You don't have to have the sensation of physical wrongness in your body that Entropic describes to have a fundamental disconnect with society's gender expectations. This is one of the distinctions I am trying to sort out with my questions.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
You don't have to have the sensation of physical wrongness in your body that Entropic describes to have a fundamental disconnect with society's gender expectations. This is one of the distinctions I am trying to sort out with my questions.

No, I would suppose that you wouldn't exactly need to absolutely have that physical wrongness to feel out of place Life is full of different realms, and I would suppose that every person juxtaposes with multiple subsets of expectations. What I believe makes gender identity such the issue that it is today, is what was written above by 21lux? Entropic?, that it has such an all encompassing effect on every facet of the individuals life.

You cannot go a day without being referred to in a gender specific way, but if you have issues identifying with something else, you can keep that tucked away and protect yourself in a way.

It will be less likely to be poked and prodded at, and less likely to make you doubt your value as a functional human being.

You could definately have desires that are not being regularly met and that you feel that you are at a disadvantage through no fault but biology, and I suppose that whatever any persons individuals issues are truly definately define their internal suffering, but while all mental suffering I believe is the same in its upset of the human experience, not all is always but on display and permeable.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, I would suppose that you wouldn't exactly need to absolutely have that physical wrongness to feel out of place Life is full of different realms, and I would suppose that every person juxtaposes with multiple subsets of expectations. What I believe makes gender identity such the issue that it is today, is what was written above by 21lux? Entropic?, that it has such an all encompassing effect on every facet of the individuals life.
It seems the physical wrongness would persist, regardless of society's expectations and how others treat one. In other words, if we imagine some utopia where there are no gender expectations and everyone is viewed simply as an individual, someone who feels they were born with the wrong body will probably still feel that way.

I, on the other hand as a contrast, have no problem with the body I was born with, I just don't like the external expectations many people have as a result of that. Yes, I can't go through a day without being referred to by gender, but to me that is incidental. I think things are hardest for people who feel outside the gender binary altogether. It's not a matter of wanting to be called he instead of she; it's that neither one is right, and "it" certainly isn't.

I suppose in some ways I fall outside the gender binary as well. The gender references just aren't important to me compared with the expectations, and I don't let those stand in my way much. With the exception of those strictly segregated spaces, I go where I want and do what I like, and don't really care whether someone thinks it isn't what a woman should be doing.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
It seems the physical wrongness would persist, regardless of society's expectations and how others treat one. In other words, if we imagine some utopia where there are no gender expectations and everyone is viewed simply as an individual, someone who feels they were born with the wrong body will probably still feel that way.

I, on the other hand as a contrast, have no problem with the body I was born with, I just don't like the external expectations many people have as a result of that. Yes, I can't go through a day without being referred to by gender, but to me that is incidental. I think things are hardest for people who feel outside the gender binary altogether. It's not a matter of wanting to be called he instead of she; it's that neither one is right, and "it" certainly isn't.

I suppose in some ways I fall outside the gender binary as well. The gender references just aren't important to me compared with the expectations, and I don't let those stand in my way much. With the exception of those strictly segregated spaces, I go where I want and do what I like, and don't really care whether someone thinks it isn't what a woman should be doing.

When insecurity already exists, everything percieved as attacking that insecurity deepens it, incidentally or not. For many it seems as if gender references are an extension of mis-met expectations they personally have experienced before. If we were to imagine a world where everyone is judged on individual merit, yes I suppose that they still would still feel similarly as you said. Biology plays as great, or greater, of a role as expectation and experience in my opinion.

But as you can choose to go out and do whatever you want externally, I would guess that there would be some amount of disdain that is always buried. One can choose to continue to bury it deeper and deeper, or it can be opened and unraveled to reveal the explosion of pain encompassed below.

There is generally not much you can do to fully correct a situation percieved as unfair, but attempting to do what you can with it seems like a pretty valid move foreward. If that means changing physical gender or working towards equating what you feel denied, than I say do it. If you can find a way to mitigate what you feel is biologically unbalanced, jump.

But it seems to me that a sense of self with your place in society/the outer world, is only possible once you have reached an acceptance within. If they both push against each other too much, you snap. You did say some really valid things though, things that I really do need to think more about to attempt to completely understand. It was also incredibly insightful to read what everyone else thinks and what their experiences are. I'd like to hear from Entropic again.

Last edited:

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually, I did the opposite. I identified feeling something was wrong with one's physical body as the part of gender dysphoria that made the most sense, since everything else is just a social construct. I compared it with feeling one was born with the wrong build, or skin/hair/eye color. Some of these are easier to correct than others, and than even physical sex attributes.

And I've already told you why that analogy is bunk because no one feels as if there is something inherently wrong with their hair unless you were born without hair, perhaps, as much as there's more of an envy or a desire to have a different kind of hair. I offered a much better example in the very post you quoted but it seems as if you conveniently overlooked it.

As an example, I'm born quite short in comparison to other people in my country, largely because I'm Asian. I've always wanted to be tall like my cousin (we are not blood-related). My dissatisfaction with my height is not the same kind of dissatisfaction I experience in relation to my gender identity and presentation and how I'm read and understood by society at large, though I now realize another aspect why I wanted to be taller is probably related to gender. There are also obvious impractical issues that come with being shorter than average height; issues that are in fact outright discriminatory though they aren't big enough to really impede in my daily life more than as frustration moments (like being able to find clothes that fit my body size).

My experience surrounding certain physiological aspects not being in agreement with how I perceive myself to be is different. It is one thing to be born short and desiring to be taller because it is more convenient or it seems better because it's seen as more desirable to be, and another to feel a strong sense of dissatisfaction with your body because it does not fit or should not be. In the former case, the desire is other-oriented, the desire is derived from outside the self; but in the latter the desire is intrinsically derived and not associated with external expectations or needs. As such I can come to terms with being short. It's not ideal or desirable but I can't do anything about it so that's it, and similarly, while I wish my voice would be even deeper I can't do anything about that either but at least it is deep enough, within a male range, to feel as if it's finally making sense.

Some of these, like the highlighted, are easily dealt with. I am a woman and look like a woman, and have no compunction about buying products targeted at men, shopping in the men's part of stores, etc. I understand this approach doesn't work for completely segregated spaces like bathrooms and fitting rooms, but it deals with some of it.

It has nothing to do with how easy or not easy it is to deal with, but has to do with how permeating it is in Western society. You again make it into a non-issue because it is not an issue for you, and entirely missing the point of what was being conveyed. It has nothing to do with whether it is an issue for the sole individual, but has to do with how deeply pervasive the segregation is actually ingrained. What I brought up were simple examples of how our daily lives are separated in this particular way, even down to such silly things as hygiene articles.

It was never about you as an individual, but it's about society.

You can pretend be a certain way for so long, and of course you are influenced by your environment, but as with personality, intelligence, and the like, you can only work with what is already there. If someone strongly, strongly, identifies naturally as a man, sure you can 'inform' them of 'traditionally' feminine behavior, and maybe they will adapt some of that into their mindset, and possibly be able to feign a movement towards what is pushed, but what is at the core is at the core.

Conforming to gender expectations placed upon by society only places a bandaid on wound that continues to fester. Being ma'md and sir'd almost seems like it would be a slap in the face, you want to be able to relate but you also know your true self and and know that at the end of the day you can never achieve the homeostasis expected. I have to read more about this.

You are taking about presentation as opposed to identification, though. They are related but not the one and the same. A person can identify one way and choose to present another. This is often the case with transgender people who haven't come out yet. We often desire our presentation to match our identity, but in some cases this is not possible to accomplish. The video someone posted in the above about Judith Butler is entirely focused on gender as a concept of presentation. This is why performance becomes such a big part. Butler doesn't want to touch on identity because identity is a tricky subject that is difficult to separate from essentialism, and Butler rejects all essentialist arguments which is why Butler's theory of gender performance is problematic when understanding trans people, because if gender is something we create and perform, it suggests no person truly has an actual gender identity that they identify with as much as it is something that is an ideal that people are taught to conform to. All other gender expressions would be created in relation to this ideal. While one can argue that this ideal in itself is essential in an ideological sense, gender as a concept is not essential to people. We are not born as men and women though society tends to teach us that this is how it is, but we are made into ones and even contrary to other social theories, Butler implies that we even do this ourselves. We (un)consciously choose to conform because we identify the values of conformity as being more advantageous (consider for instance how mistreated men become would they suddenly be read as effeminate/feminine). It raises an issue for trans people and their identities being questioned since Butlerism posits that they are actually not transgender because their innate sense of who they are doesn't exist since Butler doesn't believe that gender as an essential concept to humans as in, I'm born a man or a woman, doesn't exist. If we are not born into men or women, then how can I know that I'm born in the wrong body?

With that said, I for example don't mind catering to some gender stereotypes. In terms of personality I'm in many ways a very stereotype male and I don't mind being one. The problem is that people think of gender identity as linear with two ends on a pole like this:

:---------------------:

The problem is that this understanding of gender is very simplified and actually removes how complex it truly is. Gender isn't a one-dimensional line on a piece of paper, but it is multi-dimensional. A person can therefore for example possess several traits that in general are considered very feminine and in other situations posssess traits that are considered very masculine. This doesn't make the person in question androgynous, assuming the distribution of traits would be roughly equal across time and space, furthermore, how do we even measure it to begin with? Is an effeminate man really more androgynous or feminine just because he's deemed effeminate? Is it not just simply so that he is as masculine as any other man since he still identifies as one? And therein lies the problem with a one-dimensional understanding, because it posits that all other forms would be variations or relate to this one concept where presentation and body is congruent in comparison to what is deemed as the ideal that I mentioned in the above. While society does indeed organize according to this view, it is erroneous to assume that gender itself operates in accordance to it. A multi-dimensional understanding for example allows to label the effeminate man as masculine, but a one-dimensional view does not. It is about the realization that one can't quantify subjective experiences by weighing them against each other (more or less masculine for example), yet we attempt to do so.

Last edited:

Mane

Permabanned
Raise your hand if throughout this discussion you've been trying to fill a table in your head with the columns "Username / Gender identity / In the body of / Transitioned (Y/N)" but your still not really sure and you have absolutely no idea if it's ok to ask given that it's none of your business except that people are sharing personal anecdotes from their own experience and you do kind of want to know what kind of experience they are talking about.

hermioneraisedhand.jpg

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is it wrong to want to tickle Hermione in that picture?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Why isn't there a desire to deconstruct gender as something we worry about if its current implementation isn't very useful or valuable anymore? Currently, it's archaic and in this age where part of feminism is the rejection of gender role and expectation, it seems bizarre to me that we're expanding gender and what it can explain by adding additional labels/roles when it should probably just be bulldozed.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Probably because the system seems very unlikely to change any time soon, so instead people seek to expand the labels/classes in order to have a place at the table?

Instead of just having "opportunities for people," everything is still couched in terms of female and male, "expanding/changing female roles," etc. And many are attached to their gender in their personal lives; people still think in terms of gender, sometimes fiercely. I honestly don't see it going away, I don't know if people could let it go.

Give it another two hundred years and see where we are.

[MENTION=16405]Entropic[/MENTION]: Thanks for that last post. You managed to articulate a lot of what I think, I just couldn't seem to put it into words like that right now; you explained it well.

Mane

Permabanned
The only way I can see it going away is if gender transitioning becomes so perfect and easy to do that the average person has taken vacations from the gender they are used too to try out other genders on a whim without consequences risks or repercussions - Basically transhumanist sci-fi - and even then we might see some kind of birth-gender-doxing as a form of bullying (Possibly by old foggy's who still think it's like... The 2010s or something).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only way I can see it going away is if gender transitioning becomes so perfect and easy to do that the average person has taken vacations from the gender they are used too to try out other genders on a whim without consequences risks or repercussions - Basically transhumanist sci-fi - and even then we might see some kind of birth-gender-doxing as a form of bullying (Possibly by old foggy's who still think it's like... The 2010s or something).

I've always wondered if having the ability to swap genders regularly would help refocus people's views of others through a more "people-centered" lens rather than gendered, although some people would still likely identify as a particular gender regardless and favor one form over the other.

And yes, it could also be abused to become a form of punishment or bullying.

One of the books in Chalker's "Four Lords of the Diamond" had one planet where you body-swap once you got sent to the surface and the warden microorganism had infected your cells -- just sleep in a secluded place next to another person, your wardens would talk, and somehow your consciousness would trade places. So gender swaps could easily occur, and people could trade up in bodies... but you get into again the situation where the more powerful people could construct their own perfected bodies, the lesser powerful could have their bodies taken from them, and criminals could also be penalized by having their young bodies given to old powerful (trapping them in an old body) or being stuck in a gendered body they didn't want, etc. So in one way, gender was far more fluid, yet was also more utilitarian and exploitable.

Humans always create a wide range of use for particular technologies, some good, some bad.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hmm, I am sort of nervous to repost on here, I am not sure if what I think I can put the way I absolutely want to.

So maybe if people were to just identify with their names and we were to drop any sort of gender specific titles and instead replace them with more neutral and whole ones, we could avoid, or take a step away from pidgeonholing all together. I didn't necessarily mean to attribute gender to one exactingly rigid line, just that through a combination of different characteristics, one, because of societal pressures, might choose to associate themself/ define themselves in relation to others or what is expected. And sometimes, in order to really solidify an identity, such as what is currently commonplae in society, inner reflections turn into outer reflections. It really should not be necessary for any sort of gender expections to exist at all, or even the concept of gender to exist, and while there really are no absolutes, in todays day and age stereotypes still hold strong. As with what is undoubtadly going to happen with race, acceptance and tolerance are hopfully going to allow imagined borders to intermingle until the whole idea of distinction is laughable, emphasis on individuality and individual merit grows, and categorization falls to the wayside

I could see what Jennifer and Jarlaxle are talking about happen, and while it might end up helping the cause, there seems, as mentioned before, the need for caution as to those who would misuse it. Rewards could end up worth the risk, or risks could just derail rewards.