• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fun ways to watch the Alien/Predator/Engineer saga

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Release Order:

Alien (1979)
Aliens (1986)
Predator (1987)
Predator 2 (1990)
Alien 3 (1992)
Alien resurrection (1997)
AvP (2004)
AvP requiem (2006)
Predators (2010)
Prometheus (2012)
Alien Covenant (2017)
The Predator (2018)

Chronological (in-universe) Order:

Predator (set in '87)
Predator 2 (set in '97)
AvP (set in '04)
AvP Requiem (set in '04, directly after AvP)
Predators (set in 2010)
Prometheus (set in 2093)
Alien Covenant (set in 2104)
Alien (set in 2122)
(optional: play Alien Isolation, set in 2137 and follows Ripley's daughter)
Aliens (set in 2179)
Alien 3 (set in 2179)
Alien resurrection (set in 2379)

I think both of these orders leave a lot to be desired. So I thought of a more fun "greatest hits" order. While the chronological narrative gets shuffled, I think it's a more fun tonal narrative

Prometheus
Alien
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
Alien 3
Predators
Alien Resurrection

This omits the less stellar ones such as the AVP crossovers. It begins with a prequel, however I think Prometheus does a generally good job of establishing the "feel" of the universe and watching it first doesn't really spoil much to come. Following Aliens with the first two Predator films establishes a nice tonal arc, since those 2 are similar to the heavy action tone of Aliens. Then you get the proper wrap up to Ripley's arc in Alien 3, followed by Predators and resurrection as fun bonuses. I struggled with whether to include Alien Covenant, as I don't really think it adds much to the lore beyond expanding David's character. If you must include it, then I would do so either between Prometheus and Alien (the chronological fit), or shuffle it closer to the end, perhaps after Predators. One could also just do a "Ridley Scott trilogy" featuring Prometheus, Alien Covenant and Alien, and leave out the rest. Or they could do a more action oriented marathon starting with Aliens, leading into the first 2 Predators, and wrapping up with Resurrection.