• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

forum self v real life

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I use to be really quiet in my real life when I first joined TypoC. My persona on the forum is a lot more outgoing than how I really was.
I'd say that I finally let myself be outgoing in my real life after some growing up and have calmed down on the forums.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use to be really quiet in my real life when I first joined TypoC. My persona on the forum is a lot more outgoing than how I really was.
I'd say that I finally let myself be outgoing in my real life after some growing up and have calmed down on the forums.

Your avatar seemed to always impress me as a happy to see the world extrovert to me. (which is awesome btw)

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How does the relative anonymity of an internet forum affect how people present themselves on here v in their every day lives?

I never really related to the anonymity or no consequences thing. So i dont know how to answer this question. If i am considering being an asshole on the forum...the time, effort and consideration that has to go into hitting the post button usually deters me. Im actually much more willing to come off rash and bitchy a lot quicker offline. I also notice that both off or online, it takes me a long time to form a pattern of decisions about someone before i snap at them.

So i dont get that whole asshole thing i guess :shrug:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Your avatar seemed to always impress me as a happy to see the world extrovert to me. (which is awesome btw)

It's all a lie. I have plans to blow the Earth up. I'm just really good at faking that shit.

(But thank you! ;) )

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How do I come across in the forum? I've asked quite a few people about this. They coincidentally say almost the same things - "you sound like you are joking around."

It makes me giggle but feel a little concern at the same time cus although I do joke around and has that vibe when I interact with others, when I post I usually post to meet the theme of the thread. I almost always contribute to the threads I participate with a 'my point of view' (if it hasn't already been shared). But people think I joking around?

But I would have it that was than come across as serious or as an intellectual snob cus those are not what I am at all.

-----

In RL I joke around a LOT with a bit of intensity. I am also a bit opinianated.

-----

Edit - if you are reading this and think I come across differently rep me. I would love to know.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Im pretty much the same IRL as on forum but maybe slightly more timid and shy due to the fact that people can punch me IRL but on forum the worse they can do is insult me :D. I am also a trolly odd guy IRL. Not sure how my forum persona is seen as. Id say my discord main chat is the closet to me IRL, Can be very loud and engaging but also withdraw if the topics are boring or I dont feel comforable with the people around me.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
I don't really distinguish between the two, except that I have less things to keep track of when I write digitally.

I'm more open online, but that's not because there's no consequences involved, but because people can't see how awkward I actually am so long as I can string together complete sentences. :p

It depends on the forum atmosphere, too. Gaming forums and Tumblr, I won't trust anybody as far as I can throw them. Here, it's better. There's an actual sense of community, and I feel like I can give people the benefit of doubt because ... reasons. I don't know why lol. Just kinda a 'vibe' where you get a feeling of the place. Bad experiences impress on me deeply, so I adjust my behaviour accordingly.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I receive more of these ignorant and nonsensical responses or arguments online, that's why I tend to act more "assertive" because I'm genuinely trying to communicate my ideas..
Some people are not worth my time, apparently.
In person, I'm shy, very rarely to be the person who take the first step and introduce themselves to others, or make friendships with others, I'm a good listener, I am also witt and crazy..

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Self on here follows those IRL in my friends bucket. Only my shyness really changes much between here and IRL.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Forum self: Meme-spouting jokester who loves to socialize and mess around. Seems high energy but its just a trick of the eye to hide my more dimmer deposition offline. Trolling is a art.
Real life self: Can still joke around but much more demure and quieter, more likely to observe life and people more so than engage overall. Head in the clouds. Clumsier and walks into things often.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, I'd say that this forum gets the same version of me that comes out when interacting with acquaintances I feel comfortable around IRL. It doesn't get much of the version of me that comes out when I'm with close friends and family, or the version of me that comes out when I'm uncomfortable. Also, few of my negative emotions get expressed on here as those tend to come out nonverbally.

People like me in real life.

:cry: I like you. You seem funny.

Lark

I had a thread years ago asking what it was about the relative anonymity of an internet forum that makes people feel free to act like total assholes and say things that they would never say in real life.

predictably, someone pointed out that people can't physically hurt them if they are an asshole on the internet :doh:

Given a few years more thought of how people appear online versus how they are in real life (and having met a couple of forum members a few times, most of whom rarely if ever post here anymore), I kind of think that it's not that simple. Some people are assholes online because nobody can beat them up over the internet (yet... I'm still waiting for that glorious day!), but other people behave differently in other manners. Some people may be kinder if they realize nobody is watching, and some may let loose and show a sense of humor and other people may be more open when they don't have to look people that they are telling in the eye every day.

How does the relative anonymity of an internet forum affect how people present themselves on here v in their every day lives?

I'm not sure its anonymity that determines my interaction, hmmm, its a difficult one and I've got at least three good books of cyberpsychology which are in my to be read books pile, I think I post less because I feel less motivated to try and persuade people of anything, sometimes I see stuff and have a need to challenge it or counter it and the internet provides a forum for that which isnt always around in real life.

I've talked to people offline the same as I do online, generally the topics dont come up in the same way or people arent interested, also the net allows you to put your complete opinion sometimes or feel that you've had without being cut of interrupted or whatever, or to feel that's the case, I've noticed lots of grandstanding to imaginary galleries online and somehow the ability to post something can have you imagine you've got support you dont really have or attention you dont really have.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Online: More eloquent words due to written time freedom & full on pretensions and pseudo-intellectualisms.

Offline: The opposite of that (people I know offline would be surprised to see what I write).

Also more obviously emotionally constipated offline (if it wasn't already obvious).

Lark

Another thing, its unlikely to be something anyone will pick up on online but I'm a really good listener and I spend a lot of time carefully considering opinions that are not my own and that are even likely to be the direct opposite of what I believe, a lot of the time you need to offline because all communication is extremely nuanced and the discussion per se can serve half a dozen or more purposes for those engaging in it besides making a particular opinion known.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm the same but less initially shy online

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The tact is easier to see offline than online, lol.

People from here told me, I sound much kinder than I give myself here to be. lol

Wunjo

Maverick thinker.
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I am mostly same, polite to the point of extreme but reserved in some occasions, sympathetic but harsh and/or blunt, though I also think that we unconsciously develop other sides of ourselves which can be counted as personas which on and off gets away from conscious control, I think this also happens in real life.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i'm quieter in real life and more nervous and hold back way more. but i am very silly both on and offline

Flâneuse

don't ask me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm actually quieter, more hesitant and more serious when communicating online. In real life, I have more of a jittery energy, talk off the top of my head more (often inarticulately), and generally come across as more of a nervous dork without really being able to help it. So online I take advantage of the fact that I have more time to think about what I say and can contain parts of myself that I don't want to show.

On the other hand, there are things about myself I don't feel comfortable talking about IRL that I don't mind bringing up on the forums. (From reading others' responses here, it looks like many people use online communication as an outlet for sides of themselves they have a hard time expressing in real life.) I talk about mah feelings a lot more on here, but usually in a contained, analytical way, while in real life I don't talk about that stuff much but when feelings do get expressed it's in a much more raw and direct way.