• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Emotional Instability Defined

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Blogged for my own convenience as a useful series of quotes regarding "emotional instability" in the ENFj.

We come across much better in person. I even announced in my intro. thread on this forum that, in writing, I come across quite differently.

Here's what I can tell you. In ten years of practicing law, there have only been two potential clients that I have ever met who didn't want to hire me. That said, there were quite a few for whom I did not want, nor could I in good conscience, work for. I had to turn them down and, instead, recommended other attorneys who might be able to help them, but a healthy, Fe dom, ENFj is powerful in person. We are noted for a chameleon-like ability to adjust our emotional presentation to be whatever it is we sense you need us to be at a given moment. We can also make you feel great abut yourself (if we want to).

It's a mixed blessing (being emotionally unstable).

Are internally emotional, but usually modest and constrained in their emotional expression. Sensitive and vulnerable, alone in a shower may often experience dramatic emotions, but in front of strangers they restrain themselves. Find it difficult to relax due to internal strains, wounds, and overarching ambitions; while internally suffering from a set of complexes, externally they appear proud and aloof.
Very inquisitive and talkative; emotional enough to be impressionable. Internally intense/strained, frequently they doubt their decisions. Emotionally liberated and artistic, they easily express their feelings. Aware of the moods of others and are skilled in positively manipulating them. Speaks with feelings and enthusiasm, yet prone to irony and criticisms they sometimes project a venomous and haughty image.
Predisposed to reflection, internal fluctuations and doubts.
Socionics Types: EIE-ENFj Subtypes

The ethical subtype is internally very emotional, but usually modest and restrained in expression of his feelings. Unobtrusive in conversation, tries to behave according to the rules of good tone and manners. Vulnerable and easily takes offense. In his heart and soul he often experiences dramatic emotions, but around strangers hides and tries to control them. It is difficult for him to truly relax, inside he is tense and high-strung, vulnerable and quite self-loving.
Has difficulty attaining an inner balance. Due to this, is often in suppressed mood. Overly suspicious, prone to seeing dangers, proud.
Feels constant inner emotional tension. Needs to periodically spill out accumulated emotions.
Knows how to beautifully express his feelings. Very sensitively feels his failures and disappointments.
Socionics - the16types.info - Socionics Type Subtype Descriptions by V. Meged, A. Ovcharov, and V. Gulenko

Oversees and manages a very wide range of emotional states. Dramatic emotions quickly turn into comic ones or interweave together, however, around strangers and unfamiliar people can behave calmly and with dignity. Endowed with the gift of emotional empathy, can experience the emotions of another person as if they were his own. Expressive in gestures, gaze, intonation, and other emotional cues. A good actor or speaker. Continually reinvents and reincarnates himself in some style.
People in his proximity may experience difficulty dealing with his emotional pressuring. He cannot find peace and serenity himself; overflows of negative emotions often lead to mental breakdowns.
Over time, his worldviews may change to something diametrically opposite of what he has previously conceived. Jedi-Sith-Jedi, i.e. Anakin Skywalker - Added by @Kheledon
By temperament impatient and restless. Sitting in one place for a long time can even lead to muscle spasms. Finds it difficult to relax even when he is sleeping.
Has difficulty getting rid of bad habits.
Estimates attitudes of others by how much they are willing to do for him and how tolerant they are of his strange tastes and habits. Does not feel well in confined spaces. May choose the life of a recluse. @Cellmold perhaps? - Added by @Kheledon
He is quick to take offense and can be vindictive.
Has much difficulty achieving inner balance. Inclined to over-dramatize events. Self-immolating, vulnerable, pays close attention to attitudes of others toward himself, transgressions remembers for a long time.
The representative of this sociotype lives via an inner struggle of emotions which from time to time tend to splash out. For others these violent outbursts can be unexpected. Such people are often gifted with oratorical talent, capable of lighting up others to an idea. They are attracted to fantasy, the exotic, the romantic and sublime feelings.
Achieves main results by the way of inspiring and emotionally motivating other people
The most developed side of your personality is the ability to experience intense emotions. You are the person with a complicated spiritual world, full of contrasts and contradictions. For the sake of true, deep feelings you can sacrifice quite a lot.
You do not always fit easily into the society and avoid unpleasant contact with uninteresting people. You show lack of confidence and certainly in your tastes, inability to properly track your own well-being.
Socionics - the16types.info - ENFj The Mentor profile by Gulenko

More below.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Continued ...

To study the soul of a person, to see the source of his pain and sufferings, to reveal the depths of his experiences, to understand the personal motives of his behaviors in all their apparent contradictions – in this Hamlet sees his destiny; he was born for this, and with this, in essence, he will deal his entire life, regardless of which occupation or sphere of activities he chooses. No one from his circle of acquaintances will be left out from his "emotional impact"
Around each person Hamlet creates the certain emotional field, which he at his own discretion "charges" first positively, then negatively, constantly expressing his attitude towards this individual's ethical qualities, moreover, not as his personal opinion, but as a general, already prevailing opinion, in which he personally would only be glad to have doubts. Since all of this is presented in the form of subtle hints and accompanied by the most expressive mimicry, the person immediately feels himself intrigued, and imperceptibly for himself falls under Hamlet's emotional influence, becoming an "obedient marionette", which can be pulled by the ropes by this, it would seem, benevolent conversation partner.
Any of the representatives of this type, independent of age and occupation, magnificently coordinates and manages his mimicry, tone of voice, intonation, and because of these qualities he can predispose his conversation partner favorably, and obtain from him necessary information. If he considers it worthwhile, he can relax a person, try to bring him to sincerity, and persuade him in his own ideas. Sometimes, on the contrary, he will literally restrain his partner by fear and anxiety, trying to completely subordinate him to his will, necessitating completely entrust him.
Socionics - the16types.info - Stratiyevskaya: ENFj

ENFjs are the self-sacrificial martyrs of the types; they love to laugh, and they love to make people happy. No other type can offer love, loyalty, and support in such a way as the ENFj. Though often surrounded by friends and supporters, they can feel lonely, living in a dark world of superficial supplications. They offer, and ask not ... leaving themselves an empty shell; they are the unreluctant givers of the types.
One potential problems almost all ENFjs face is a general lack of the expression of their own identity; they can get so caught up in understanding the needs of others that they often times fail to do the things that would naturally define them as individuals. In result, some could adapt 'fake-it-to-make-it' approaches or mold to societies like a chameleons.
Fe also maintains an active neutral stance on the entire whole of its inputs, even if the whole of the input of one emotional process conflicts with any of the other core processes it remains non-biased and registers them all as equals. Probably the most powerful aspect of Fe is the ability to not only stay well informed of new feelings, trends, and the changing moods of others in ways that may be utterly critical to survival in cooperative atmospheres, but the ability to convince through ethical implementations subjectively designed to reorganize and even direct the emotions of others into certain modes of ethical reasoning. This often includes the ability to cheer up others who are down, instinctual knowledge of the degree of tactful politeness to display to strangers, and influencing others to be kind to each other. Being an extroverted function, Fe cannot derive data from within and must amass information from outside of itself and in the here and now to survive as a function or at all.
Socionics - the16types.info -

Gulenko on Dialectical-Algorithmic Thinking (EIE)
Its advantages are obvious: it is the most subtle and flexible style. It can easily switch to an opposite direction, and possesses predictive ability, accompanied by an effective type of associative memory.
The disadvantages in Dialectical-Algorithmic cognition include instability and uncertainty. Algorithmics suffer from difficulty in making choices and embracing unambiguous decisions. This thinking is more comparable to a symphony of flowing interwoven imagery, rather than a mechanism of clearly established instruction sets. Another problem is increased criticality, which can be so high that it incurs self-destruction, plunging them into danger of total detachment from reality, and leading to mental disorders, especially in cases of hereditary predisposition.
Thinking geniuses are most likely the ultimate version of Dialectical-Algorithmic cognition. Its originality lies in free play of mind, boundless imagination, and daring synthesis of contrasts. Almost always, it accompanies negativity with respect to public opinion. Often possesses a mystical streak. If Western typology believes that brilliant thinkers belonged to a type, then in my opinion it would be EIE. Unbalanced nervous system, hot and restless heart, floods of idea associations—this would be the material from which nature sculpts geniuses. Emphasis added by @Kheledon
Socionics - the16types.info - Forms of Cognition by Victor Gulenko

Both good and bad, as is the case for all of us.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
See, as an FI type, I'd be more picky about the specific cases I'd take. I would be like state environmental against big oil, or small business versus corporation. I'd be a principle in action. Even as a public defender, I'd only represent prostitution or something.

That's Fi versus Fe. I have a friend who started out as corporate who is now seriously anti'corporate and vegetarian. She got dismissed from her former job. I think she's ENFP. She's really smiling, likes me, and wants to talk all the time. I'm more impressed by her transition to anti corporate from corporate, and her ethics as A VEGETARIAN.

I think FI types are likely to build or drop a law career on principles. That's what I feel about my ENFP friend. ..she'd rather work in a restaurant.

Kheledon

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Personally, I'd rather write novels and travel the world. Even though I consider myself a champion of "the people" (I represent neither corporations nor any other powerful entities), being an attorney is not an occupation I'd recommend to anyone.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not an attorney. I watch them, because I watch their effect on law, but I'm a dancer,entertainer, writer, server and masseuse. ...I'm never an attorney, at best I'm a teacher. I have to make a movie or something.

Don't forsake me cause I love you. ..physically, actress: Chloe Grace Moretz, Director: Rob Zombie, Actor: Jared Leto, musician: Lana del Rey. ..from hence forth associate me more with fashion designers, film makers and chefs more than attorneys.

Tara Subkoff.

Chloe Sevigny.

Lana del Rey.

So many people who are victims to those who aren't attorneys.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wouldn't it be easier to just strap on a heartbeat and blood pressure monitor that maintains a log, since emotions affect such?