• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

BPD: Her brain tormented her, and doctors could not understand why

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...5-11e5-b673-1df005a0fb28_story.html?tid=sm_fb

Her brain tormented her, and doctors could not understand why

By Aleszu Bajak September 14 at 2:38 PM

“I hate myself, and my brain,” Pam Tusiani wrote in her journal while under 24-hour watch on the fourth-floor psychiatric ward of Baltimore’s Johns Hopkins Hospital. “Nothing is worse than this disease.”

When Tusiani wrote those words in 1998, doctors had little understanding of the disorder that was troubling her, and all these years later they have little more.

Trying to understand how the illness works — in hopes of finding a cure — strikes at the heart of psychiatry, indeed medicine in general. How does one replicate at the basic research level what one sees in a patient? How do you find the chemical root of a disease, especially one as complex and multifaceted as borderline personality disorder, or BPD?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, sounds like my life. My three adopted sons all show the symtpons of bpd. My wife is most likely bpd or ptsd herself.

All three sons were drug and alcohol exposed pre birth. My wife had severe childhood trauma she continues to repress to this day.

From my personal research, there is a biological component as and usually also a trauma component, though not always.

This predominantly is seen in women. A very large percentage of the women diagnosed were molested as children.

Many sufferers do self harm and/or attempt suicide.

The irrational reactions to every day events are very common.

Sometimes people age out of it, like my wife appears to be. It would go better if she would seek therapy, but I can't push that.

It just is not pleasant seeing your family members act out in horrible episodes, yet I have it many times each day....