• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Could you help typing a friend of mine?

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hello, I am new here, and hope it's ok to start posting right away. (Sorry about my english, I'm not a native speaker).
I've read a lot about MBTI and have made different tests and am pretty sure about being INFJ. I feel like it has been easy to type most of friends, but I'm rather puzzled by one of my male friends and wondered whether anyone of you could help me typing this friend.

1.) When I met him I thought he was rather talkative but getting to know him I found he was quiet very often when we're alone (and this doesn't seem to bother him).

2.) He studies computer science and meteorology as a minor. He can talk about computers for hours, and enjoys programming (more than math courses I guess).

3.) When he's interested in something he likes to get to know every little thing about it. This is very often also the case concerning decision making- before making a decision he has to inform himself very thoroughly (e.g. before buying any technical thing he likes to find out about its functions and compares different models).

4.) He plays a lot of comptuer games (i only know about WOW, worms (?)) and role playing games (?) (DND).

5.) He likes discussions, but does not argue all of the time. In arguing he sticks to his point of view and tries to convince the other person, and is annoyed when I take the opposite opinion just out of fun.

6.) Sometimes he talks very quickly, like there are too many thought and too little words :).

7.) He can be very lazy concerning studying. He only does what he really likes and cannot be talked into doing something he doesn't like (and sometimes seems to live according to "play first, work later").

8.) He often seems very absent-minded and inattentive when listening to you, and I often feel like he is not interested in what I'm saying (not always, of course). he often seeks little eye-contact, but I don't feel like he is shy in that respect, he just shows you when he is not interested, very much by body language.

9.) he is interested in politics and history, reads a lot online, but when fiction mostly science fiction.

10.) He does not have a really wide circle of friends, but mostly long friendships. he mostly meets friends in a group.

11.) When in a group of friends, he is very very dominant in that he wants to say his opinion no matter what comes, and suddenly speaks very loudly (in contrast to the rest of the time). He speaks up when he feels he or someone else is treated in an unfair way.

12.) He is very independent, and needs to spend a lot of time on his own.

13.) he does not always use the most precise word when describing something, but always gives detailed descriptions.

14.) He started playing the drums and is interested in the structure of music he likes.

15.) He is rather shy and quiet when meeting new people.

16.) He stays calm in every imaginable situation, and he rarely displays emotions; though he smiles rather often, he would never show emotions such as anger, sadness, intense joy etc. He can be ethusiastic, but rather rarely, and often does not show real authentic joy when given a present (even though when he says he really likes it).

17.) He had his first girlfriend when he was 25.

18.) On the one hand he enjoys slapstick humour, but on the other side he enjoys humour I would call a bit sarcastic, as in the series DARIA (dont know if its a good example).

19.) He can be very funny, and this humour mostly engages some kind of word play (like puns of the double-meaning of words or something like this).

20.) Even though he helps his close friends in a lot of ways, he can be very mischievous and is often unempathetic.

21.) He always notices things around him connected to funny language use (like funny spelling mistakes on signs etc).

22.) His room is very, very, very messy with all kind of technical things lying around. He does not pay any attention to aesthetics concerning his way of living. He does not pay a lot of attention to his clothes (though very aware of what they tell about him). He says he wouldn't just wear everything, but on the other hand he never buys new clothes until the ones he's wearing are falling apart.

23.) He'd rather like to run his own business instead of having a 9 to 5-job.

24.) When you start accusing him of anything, he gets really quiet and says nothing at all.

25.) He does not want to please everyone (he sticks to his opinion in situations when I do not, e.g.).

26.) He really rarely asks questions about how you feel but rather about what you think, and isn't interested in talking about personal stuff (especially concerning himself).

27.) He is interested in society and often talks and thinks about what is unjust and how it could be changed, and is often worried about the future of the world.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
thanx a lot in advance for your help!

MBTI Type
INFJ
Ah, and I forgot to add one thing:
- He is a rather opitimistic person, even though he is sometimes disencouraged by writing a paper because he says the secondary texts often don't give enough explanation and don't explain all concepts and things they make use of.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Mh, that's interesting. I've never thought about E.....and I guess I don't know other possible Es.
Are there any other suggestions? Does someone agree, or disagree?
Sorry if I'm bothering you. I just don't have any clue about his type, even though I'm rather new to MBTI (not reading about, but typing myself), I find him so puzzling.

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It's hard to type someone with limited information from a second party. He could fit a number of temperaments from those descriptions, really.

How about this, tell us what type you think he may be and explain why.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Hmm... I'm thinking INTP, considering he does not have a wide group of friends and prefers to do things independently.

MBTI Type
INFJ
Mh, the one thing I'm pretty sure about is that he is P. Concerning all other variables I'm quite insecure..... I think he could be ISFP, INFP or INTP or maybe even ISTP. And I'm not really sure about I/E.

ISFP - I think what fits pretty well is that he is rather quiet, not telling much about himself, especially dislikes elaborating on his feelings. I found this type most likely at first, because I thought he is often reacting to things of the outer world, as reading out signs etc. However, since he is often punning on signs, posters, etc, and often noticing funny things in things of the outer world that involve LANGUAGE, I'm not too sure about S/N, and I thought this could rather point towards E instead of I (also reacting towards the outer world, if I'm not wrong). Then I thought certain computer games rather appeal to sensors (probably!), like WOW, although I dont know any games and am not sure. And all his procrastinating could be related to SP, though I dont know if this could also apply to P only. I'm not always sure about F, but I', not familiar with his way of decision making.....I think he considers all kinds of aspects before making a desicsion, but I dont know if this has anything to do with F/T (thought getting to know all technical features could relate to T).

INFP - there's not soo much pointing here, though I dont know much about INFP. He is often idealistic concerning society, as I*ve mentioned, and wants to change it, though he doesnt put much ideas into action. I've heard that INFP talk rather much, and what others to know them.....thin this doesn't fit too well

INTP - mh....I hope this doesnt sound strange, but he's kind of nerdy,dont mean it in any negative sense! I like him much, he*s my friend, just to say that.......but that he is wearing his clothes until they fall apart, and is not bothering about losing his hair or anything like that (saying this is quite superficial to judge someone on that), and that he is completely unaware of the mess in his room (which is even disgusting to me :)...and I'm not a sensor). I think this is something....... sorry, have to go, I'll elobate later on....

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
Mh, sorry...could you explain why you think so?

No problemo -

1.) When I met him I thought he was rather talkative but getting to know him I found he was quiet very often when we're alone (and this doesn't seem to bother him). - E's can be quiet when around one other person too.

2.) He studies computer science and meteorology as a minor. He can talk about computers for hours, and enjoys programming (more than math courses I guess). - N/A

3.) When he's interested in something he likes to get to know every little thing about it. This is very often also the case concerning decision making- before making a decision he has to inform himself very thoroughly (e.g. before buying any technical thing he likes to find out about its functions and compares different models). - P

4.) He plays a lot of comptuer games (i only know about WOW, worms (?)) and role playing games (?) (DND). - N/A

5.) He likes discussions, but does not argue all of the time. In arguing he sticks to his point of view and tries to convince the other person, and is annoyed when I take the opposite opinion just out of fun. - T

6.) Sometimes he talks very quickly, like there are too many thought and too little words :). - E

7.) He can be very lazy concerning studying. He only does what he really likes and cannot be talked into doing something he doesn't like (and sometimes seems to live according to "play first, work later"). - P

8.) He often seems very absent-minded and inattentive when listening to you, and I often feel like he is not interested in what I'm saying (not always, of course). he often seeks little eye-contact, but I don't feel like he is shy in that respect, he just shows you when he is not interested, very much by body language. - N/A

9.) he is interested in politics and history, reads a lot online, but when fiction mostly science fiction. - N/A

10.) He does not have a really wide circle of friends, but mostly long friendships. he mostly meets friends in a group. - not having a wide circle of friends is usually I.

11.) When in a group of friends, he is very very dominant in that he wants to say his opinion no matter what comes, and suddenly speaks very loudly (in contrast to the rest of the time). He speaks up when he feels he or someone else is treated in an unfair way. - E

12.) He is very independent, and needs to spend a lot of time on his own. - N/A

13.) he does not always use the most precise word when describing something, but always gives detailed descriptions. - N/A

14.) He started playing the drums and is interested in the structure of music he likes. - N/A

15.) He is rather shy and quiet when meeting new people. - N/A

16.) He stays calm in every imaginable situation, and he rarely displays emotions; though he smiles rather often, he would never show emotions such as anger, sadness, intense joy etc. He can be ethusiastic, but rather rarely, and often does not show real authentic joy when given a present (even though when he says he really likes it). - T

17.) He had his first girlfriend when he was 25. - N/A

18.) On the one hand he enjoys slapstick humour, but on the other side he enjoys humour I would call a bit sarcastic, as in the series DARIA (dont know if its a good example). - usually liking a sarcastic type of humor is indicate of N, but not always.

19.) He can be very funny, and this humour mostly engages some kind of word play (like puns of the double-meaning of words or something like this). - An ENTP I know is EXACTLY like this, it might be Ne.

20.) Even though he helps his close friends in a lot of ways, he can be very mischievous and is often unempathetic. - T

21.) He always notices things around him connected to funny language use (like funny spelling mistakes on signs etc). - N/A

22.) His room is very, very, very messy with all kind of technical things lying around. He does not pay any attention to aesthetics concerning his way of living. He does not pay a lot of attention to his clothes (though very aware of what they tell about him). He says he wouldn't just wear everything, but on the other hand he never buys new clothes until the ones he's wearing are falling apart. - P

23.) He'd rather like to run his own business instead of having a 9 to 5-job. - N/A

24.) When you start accusing him of anything, he gets really quiet and says nothing at all. - N/A

25.) He does not want to please everyone (he sticks to his opinion in situations when I do not, e.g.). - T

26.) He really rarely asks questions about how you feel but rather about what you think, and isn't interested in talking about personal stuff (especially concerning himself). - T

27.) He is interested in society and often talks and thinks about what is unjust and how it could be changed, and is often worried about the future of the world. - sounds somewhat NFish, definitely N

Hmm... I'm thinking INTP, considering he does not have a wide group of friends and prefers to do things independently.

Two ENTPs I know love to do things independently. ENTPs are independent people.

Mh, the one thing I'm pretty sure about is that he is P. Concerning all other variables I'm quite insecure.....

I'll tell you another thing - from your description, he's definitely a Thinker.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll do like TheChosenOne did.

1.) When I met him I thought he was rather talkative but getting to know him I found he was quiet very often when we're alone (and this doesn't seem to bother him). E

2.) He studies computer science and meteorology as a minor. He can talk about computers for hours, and enjoys programming (more than math courses I guess). This seems to be a general interest/hobby to NTs

3.) When he's interested in something he likes to get to know every little thing about it. This is very often also the case concerning decision making- before making a decision he has to inform himself very thoroughly (e.g. before buying any technical thing he likes to find out about its functions and compares different models). P, this pretty much exemplifies P

4.) He plays a lot of comptuer games (i only know about WOW, worms (?)) and role playing games (?) (DND). N/A

5.) He likes discussions, but does not argue all of the time. In arguing he sticks to his point of view and tries to convince the other person, and is annoyed when I take the opposite opinion just out of fun. Sounds like Ti

6.) Sometimes he talks very quickly, like there are too many thought and too little words :). E, specifically Ne

7.) He can be very lazy concerning studying. He only does what he really likes and cannot be talked into doing something he doesn't like (and sometimes seems to live according to "play first, work later"). P

8.) He often seems very absent-minded and inattentive when listening to you, and I often feel like he is not interested in what I'm saying (not always, of course). he often seeks little eye-contact, but I don't feel like he is shy in that respect, he just shows you when he is not interested, very much by body language. Sounds Ne, Ne people always have some random thought going through their head at any given moment.

9.) he is interested in politics and history, reads a lot online, but when fiction mostly science fiction. N/A

10.) He does not have a really wide circle of friends, but mostly long friendships. he mostly meets friends in a group. This just sounds ENTP, since they don't seem to need a lot of friends.

11.) When in a group of friends, he is very very dominant in that he wants to say his opinion no matter what comes, and suddenly speaks very loudly (in contrast to the rest of the time). He speaks up when he feels he or someone else is treated in an unfair way. Extrovert and Ti... god this guy just sounds so ENTP

12.) He is very independent, and needs to spend a lot of time on his own. ENTPs are very much independent.

13.) he does not always use the most precise word when describing something, but always gives detailed descriptions. Not sure

14.) He started playing the drums and is interested in the structure of music he likes. Sounds NT

15.) He is rather shy and quiet when meeting new people. Implies introversion but eh.

16.) He stays calm in every imaginable situation, and he rarely displays emotions; though he smiles rather often, he would never show emotions such as anger, sadness, intense joy etc. He can be ethusiastic, but rather rarely, and often does not show real authentic joy when given a present (even though when he says he really likes it). T

17.) He had his first girlfriend when he was 25. N/A

18.) On the one hand he enjoys slapstick humour, but on the other side he enjoys humour I would call a bit sarcastic, as in the series DARIA (dont know if its a good example). Eh not sure

19.) He can be very funny, and this humour mostly engages some kind of word play (like puns of the double-meaning of words or something like this). Ne

20.) Even though he helps his close friends in a lot of ways, he can be very mischievous and is often unempathetic. Fe>Fi within him

21.) He always notices things around him connected to funny language use (like funny spelling mistakes on signs etc). Ne

22.) His room is very, very, very messy with all kind of technical things lying around. He does not pay any attention to aesthetics concerning his way of living. He does not pay a lot of attention to his clothes (though very aware of what they tell about him). He says he wouldn't just wear everything, but on the other hand he never buys new clothes until the ones he's wearing are falling apart. E__P

23.) He'd rather like to run his own business instead of having a 9 to 5-job. Independence = ENTP, flexible work = P

24.) When you start accusing him of anything, he gets really quiet and says nothing at all. Not clear on this... accusing him of what sort of thing?

25.) He does not want to please everyone (he sticks to his opinion in situations when I do not, e.g.). Just screams ENTP

26.) He really rarely asks questions about how you feel but rather about what you think, and isn't interested in talking about personal stuff (especially concerning himself). Lack of Fi

27.) He is interested in society and often talks and thinks about what is unjust and how it could be changed, and is often worried about the future of the world. I want to say N but eh idk.

gillie2

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I agree with ENTP.
Your friend sound a lot like my ENTP husband. I thought my husband was INTP for a long time but ENTP seems to fit better. I think one factor in choosing between INTP and ENTP is whether they get energized around people. My husband can be somewhat shy, but just loves to be in groups of people. For example, if he is not one of the last to leave a party he considered that we have "left early".

MBTI Type
INFJ
Thank you so much, this has helped at lot and was very interesting!
I guess I see te T now, and especially E is clear to me after having thought about it, because he really gets energized around people (I know that he wants to stay until the end of the party). that's so obvious, don't know why I didn't think about it (I thought he must be an I). And I wonder whether I have confused some effect of the Ne (and Ti?) with Se...?

MBTI Type
INFJ
I got him to do the similar minds test, would you recommand this test or another? Guess what, he came out ISFP! I find that quite bewildering at the moment...I mean, it's almost the opposite of the ENTP....... or do you think ISFPs could come across as ENTP? Maybe I'll ask him to do some other test....

Tyrant

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
LOL, ISFP could never be confused with an ENTP. Here's another test.

GatorGirl

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Def T... I would think I if he gets quiet when criticized. I think ET types would be more apt to defend/make excuses for themselves (wrong?)

MBTI Type
INFJ
The cognitve function test showed these results:

extraverted Sensing (Se) ******************************** (32.7)
good use
introverted Sensing (Si) ************************** (26.3)
average use
extraverted Intuiting (Ne) ************************ (24.3)
average use
introverted Intuiting (Ni) *************************** (27.5)
average use
extraverted Thinking (Te) **************************** (28.3)
average use
introverted Thinking (Ti) ***************************** (29.5)
average use
extraverted Feeling (Fe) *********************************** (35.5)
good use
introverted Feeling (Fi) *********************************** (35.5)
good use