• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

ENTP or ESTP?

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP
Hi guys! Trying to work out my type here, and hesitating between ENTP and ESTP.

I think I'm N because I'm creative, imaginative and clever, and have a very good general knowledge, particularly of history and the arts. On the other hand, I'm not into theorising. Given the choice between experience and a conceptual understanding of life, I’d choose experience every time; I want to see and do as much as possible.

About me:
I'm studying journalism - covering stories is exhilarating. It's being on my feet, out and about, talking to people.

I like to be ACTIVE - all the time. I want to pack as many different things into a day as possible, whereas a day at home (unless I'm sick) feels like I've wasted a day. (I read a lot, though, so it's not just physical stimulation.)

Travelling and seeing the world is what I enjoy most; seeing new places, exploring cities, mixing with the locals, trying new food, basically having new experiences. I’ve tried both guided tours and self-travel; while guided tours are more convenient, you miss out on a lot – you don’t have the opportunity to do what you want when you want, or to see things at your own pace.

I don't suffer from culture shock; I'll eat anything - snake, rats, frogs, spiders. Because they're there! And I have the reputation as someone who's adventurous: "If he's not going to do let a tarantula crawl over him, nobody will!" Next thing, I'm posing for photos with a spider trying to burrow into my armpit. I’ll ride pillion on the back of a motorbike in South-east Asia, spend the first five minutes in a funk (never having been on one before), realise that I won’t end up with my head split open like an overripe watermelon as the driver dashes down narrow alleyways into the path of oncoming trucks, and have a whale of a time for the next six hours.

I like the arts - theatre, music (both rock and classical - symphonies, opera), and the visual arts.

I present really well, and am popular; I'm quick witted and good at thinking on my feet; good humoured and upbeat. I like performing to crowds, and making people laugh; people get me to give speeches, and ask whether I'm an actor.

But I also come across as straightforward, sincere and honest; high spirited; calm and relaxed, unfazed, full of positive energy; supportive; personable, engaging, sensitive to others. I know what questions to ask to make people open up - whether it's talking to girls about why they like gardening, or science students about string theory (which boggles my brane). Basically: naturally good social skills.

What I don't like:
Office jobs. The work's routine and predictable; not enough going on; and it's a sensory deprivation tank - muted colours, beiges and off-white, and the silence is oppressive. I don't like procedure or strict rules, and the idea of staying in the same place gives me the creeps.

Theory. Basically, I'm bright, but I'm far more interested in the outside world than I am in theory. On one level, I'm good at grasping ideas, but theory for its own sake, or arguing about theory and philosophy, leaves me cold. I did well at uni, but resisted theory;a lot of the ideas academics trot out (particularly cultural studies academics) are nebulous jargon-laden waffle. Friends are into things like interior psychological states, visualising alternative realities, lucid dreaming, meditation, technogeekery, analysing algorithms, or talking about Leibnitz and Seneca. I'd rather play Jenga.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hi guys! Trying to work out my type here, and hesitating between ENTP and ESTP.

I think I'm N because I'm creative, imaginative and clever, and have a very good general knowledge, particularly of history and the arts. On the other hand, I'm not into theorising. Given the choice between experience and a conceptual understanding of life, I’d choose experience every time; I want to see and do as much as possible.

About me:
I'm studying journalism - covering stories is exhilarating. It's being on my feet, out and about, talking to people.

I like to be ACTIVE - all the time. I want to pack as many different things into a day as possible, whereas a day at home (unless I'm sick) feels like I've wasted a day. (I read a lot, though, so it's not just physical stimulation.)

Travelling and seeing the world is what I enjoy most; seeing new places, exploring cities, mixing with the locals, trying new food, basically having new experiences. I’ve tried both guided tours and self-travel; while guided tours are more convenient, you miss out on a lot – you don’t have the opportunity to do what you want when you want, or to see things at your own pace.

I don't suffer from culture shock; I'll eat anything - snake, rats, frogs, spiders. Because they're there! And I have the reputation as someone who's adventurous: "If he's not going to do let a tarantula crawl over him, nobody will!" Next thing, I'm posing for photos with a spider trying to burrow into my armpit. I’ll ride pillion on the back of a motorbike in South-east Asia, spend the first five minutes in a funk (never having been on one before), realise that I won’t end up with my head split open like an overripe watermelon as the driver dashes down narrow alleyways into the path of oncoming trucks, and have a whale of a time for the next six hours.

I like the arts - theatre, music (both rock and classical - symphonies, opera), and the visual arts.

I present really well, and am popular; I'm quick witted and good at thinking on my feet; good humoured and upbeat. I like performing to crowds, and making people laugh; people get me to give speeches, and ask whether I'm an actor.

But I also come across as straightforward, sincere and honest; high spirited; calm and relaxed, unfazed, full of positive energy; supportive; personable, engaging, sensitive to others. I know what questions to ask to make people open up - whether it's talking to girls about why they like gardening, or science students about string theory (which boggles my brane). Basically: naturally good social skills.

What I don't like:
Office jobs. The work's routine and predictable; not enough going on; and it's a sensory deprivation tank - muted colours, beiges and off-white, and the silence is oppressive. I don't like procedure or strict rules, and the idea of staying in the same place gives me the creeps.

Theory. Basically, I'm bright, but I'm far more interested in the outside world than I am in theory. On one level, I'm good at grasping ideas, but theory for its own sake, or arguing about theory and philosophy, leaves me cold. I did well at uni, but resisted theory;a lot of the ideas academics trot out (particularly cultural studies academics) are nebulous jargon-laden waffle. Friends are into things like interior psychological states, visualising alternative realities, lucid dreaming, meditation, technogeekery, analysing algorithms, or talking about Leibnitz and Seneca. I'd rather play Jenga.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

those are, primarily, the reasons I chose to identify with Sensing... I have no problems with doing N things and I have a great sense of humor according to those who know me in real life. I'm great at thinking on my feet and coming up with unique solutions that work in very little time when the need arises and I love experiencing the arts.

I chose to go with Sensing, because without having experiences I feel that my life is not worth living. When confronted by a problem I want to dive right in and get my hands dirty and when posed with a question I want to investigate by heading right in and asking questions and poking around at things and figuring things out by getting as much data as possible on my own. I also will try any food at least once, because you can't be sure you won't like it until you actually try it :)

the choice is, however, yours... you know yourself better than any internet stranger does :yes:

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

+ other stuff

None of your "N" traits are odd or uncommon for SPs. Some of your "S" traits are uncommon for NPs.

Destiny

A wannabe dog
I'm going with ESTP.

I have a difficult time imagining an ENTP writing this above paragraph.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Hmm, many things you said about yourself: traveling, experiencing new things, never feeling culture shock, and great around people also sound very similar to me, you sure you're not an ENFP type 7? :newwink:

But in seriousness, I agree with [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] above in suggesting you show more SP traits. Personally I'm not quite there yet (still an MB newb) in being able to determine people's types, but I'll give some examples as to how I think and approach things and you can make the comparison to your own way of thinking. When it comes to getting a project done, remembering details, or learning new concepts, I absolutely have to be able to visualize it in my head, or basically, see the end result in my mind, and know why I'm doing something. I can't just be given a bunch of facts, and work my way towards a goal, it just won't make any sense to me. For example, I work in architecture, and it is absolutely necessary that you have the end result or vision in mind of where you want to go, then, you work your way backwards towards all the individual elements and pieces to make it all come together. If I don't initially know where I'm headed, I'm clueless. Another key into how I think is that I typically think in metaphor or analogy. Thinking in this way, making personal associations between similar things, attaching meaning to things, allows me to remember and recall facts much more naturally and fluid. A chair is rarely just a chair to me. A coffee mug is rarely just a coffee mug. Everything I know and understand has an added layer of meaning to it.

But again, I'm still learning the ropes, so if someone wants to chime in to what I've just described, be my guest.

On a side note, I don't feel type determines interests, and those sorts of descriptions of the different types that you see on various sites are more tendencies of the types. Also, creativity can very much come from an SP as well, and not just limited to the NF crowd. :)

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
IDK
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, many things you said about yourself: traveling, experiencing new things, never feeling culture shock, and great around people also sound very similar to me, you sure you're not an ENFP type 7? :newwink:
[MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] just wants some new recruits, don't listen to him ;)

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESTP. most of your dominant N traits exist because of your preferance to sensing traits.

Im on my phone so i cant get into detail. I might eventually. But thats my opinion so far.

RobinSkye

What Is Life?
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, ESTP. You seem to like things for the sake of what they are at that moment (something I'm somewhat envious that I have trouble taking advantage of). Whereas an Ne user is more interested in how that particular subject applies to his/her future endeavours, more than just enjoying it right away. It's a burden a lot of times, but it helps what's most important to our society too - progression. You seem like you simply want to experience (Se) as opposed to learn or develop new ways of experiencing (Ne). But your life sounds kickass and I like the way you portray yourself.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Given the choice between ENTP and ESTP, I'd go with ESTP. But there's nothing to suggest T or F either way.

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP
those are, primarily, the reasons I chose to identify with Sensing... I have no problems with doing N things and I have a great sense of humor according to those who know me in real life. I'm great at thinking on my feet and coming up with unique solutions that work in very little time when the need arises and I love experiencing the arts.

I chose to go with Sensing, because without having experiences I feel that my life is not worth living. When confronted by a problem I want to dive right in and get my hands dirty and when posed with a question I want to investigate by heading right in and asking questions and poking around at things and figuring things out by getting as much data as possible on my own. I also will try any food at least once, because you can't be sure you won't like it until you actually try it :)

the choice is, however, yours... you know yourself better than any internet stranger does :yes:

That sounds a lot like me. From what I understand, being S doesn't mean an inability to do N things - but it does mean a preference for experiences over concepts. And I agree wholeheartedly that without experiences, life isn't worth living! The drawback, I suppose, is a need for experiences; I can have a jam-packed day, with four or five different social activities, and be full of energy - and if I haven't done anything by midday the next day, be depressed and bored.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No way he can't cuz only Ns are creative, didn't yall know? S's have like no imaginations and are brainless sheep.

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP

Well, I have wondered about ENFP in the past, but I don't think I have enough Fi!

But in seriousness, I agree with [MENTION=1180]whatever[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23915]Sinclair[/MENTION] above in suggesting you show more SP traits. Personally I'm not quite there yet (still an MB newb) in being able to determine people's types, but I'll give some examples as to how I think and approach things and you can make the comparison to your own way of thinking. When it comes to getting a project done, remembering details, or learning new concepts, I absolutely have to be able to visualize it in my head, or basically, see the end result in my mind, and know why I'm doing something. I can't just be given a bunch of facts, and work my way towards a goal, it just won't make any sense to me. For example, I work in architecture, and it is absolutely necessary that you have the end result or vision in mind of where you want to go, then, you work your way backwards towards all the individual elements and pieces to make it all come together. If I don't initially know where I'm headed, I'm clueless. Another key into how I think is that I typically think in metaphor or analogy. Thinking in this way, making personal associations between similar things, attaching meaning to things, allows me to remember and recall facts much more naturally and fluid. A chair is rarely just a chair to me. A coffee mug is rarely just a coffee mug. Everything I know and understand has an added layer of meaning to it.

Interesting! With me, it's the opposite; I'll often figure out what I'm writing while I'm writing, rather than starting out with the idea - which means a lot of rewriting! I'll have ideas and insights beforehand (aha, this means that; that's a good phrase, I'll use it), but the pattern arises from the information. I know that I prefer not to start off with a particular theoretical lens; it tends to disfigure what one sees, and one ends up trying to fit information into the theory, rather than looking at what the information actually suggests.

Which isn't to say that I don't see the big picture or how things fit together.

I think the difference is also I see the big picture fairly easily, but it's a big picture that's grounded in the real world - history and a historical overview, or in the evidence. But it's after 11 pm, and I'm starting to ramble.

By the way, what kind of architecture? It'd be a cool field to work in - designing buildings.

Fregoli

MBTI Type
ESTP
Yeah, ESTP. You seem to like things for the sake of what they are at that moment (something I'm somewhat envious that I have trouble taking advantage of). Whereas an Ne user is more interested in how that particular subject applies to his/her future endeavours, more than just enjoying it right away. It's a burden a lot of times, but it helps what's most important to our society too - progression. You seem like you simply want to experience (Se) as opposed to learn or develop new ways of experiencing (Ne). But your life sounds kickass and I like the way you portray yourself.

Well, my life's getting kickass! It's taken a while, figuring things out, running up a few blind alleys, but I think I'm on the right track, and the future's looking good.

Bankoto

MBTI Type
????
Enneagram
5w4
ESTP. There isn't enough to propose any other types, but between ENTP or ESTP, yeah, definitely ESTP.

No ENTP would ever talk shit about theory. :p