User Tag List

First 1234 Last

The questions on that functions test are so poorly written I can't make sense of them.

5. Experience a premonition or foresee the distant future.
    Is that asking if I'm psychic? I don't know what that's supposed to mean.

I may well be an ISTJ, I do seem to operate on SiTe but all the defining characteristics of the SJ temperament do no apply to me. Though I do think everyone has dropped the ball with describing SJs. Nearly everyone seems to think of them as incurious, servile drones which I am definitely not.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

ISTJ's have an "internal guidebook" of sorts that is composed of things that they've decided to focus on throughout their life. A lot of SJ's focus on happy childhood memories, so that is why they talk about the good ole' days, and they don't want things to change so much. If you've focused on things different from the norm then your "internal guidebook" could be pretty different from most SJ's.

Overall most of the descriptions for sensors aren't always accurate particularly if the person is fairly intelligent. For example an intelligent ISTP is more likely to be an engineer than a mechanic, even though most ISTP descriptions make them seem more like a mechanic. Most likely you are a bright ISTJ, and that is why you don't relate to the standard ISTJ descriptions. If you are more interested in proven facts rather than possibilities, and if you have a keen sense toward details that you focus on, then you are probably an ISTJ (or maybe an ESTJ, but I'll assume you've figured out the E/I dimension).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    That description also sounds fairly accurate. Another thing is that the things which the Guardians are supposedly guarding are those which I am most distrustful of. I place no value on tradition, groups make me nervous, duty and loyalty to institutions mean nothing to me. Being the salt of the earth, a pillar of the community, whatever it is SJs get off on does not appeal to me at all.

I'm trying to find some good descriptions of Introverted Intuition, they all seem pretty nebulous so far. It's entirely possible that I am a highly atypical ISTJ but don't think it's a good description for me.
    one of my best friends is an ISTJ and the bolded part is true for him as well. forget the stereotypes for SJs. they can be very individualistic thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I doubt you're ISTJ because from what little I've read you seem cool.
    ugh. using MBTI this way is worse than not using it at all. complete nonsense...

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    ugh. using MBTI this way is worse than not using it at all. complete nonsense...
    It's not nonsense, it's my perception! I've never met an ISTJ I'd call cool, quite the contrary in fact. I don't even think those I knew well considered themselves cool.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

you can't type people by comparing their personalities to the types (that you don't even really know) of your friends.

if you're going to bother trying to type someone, do it by functions, and throw type descriptions out the window.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    you can't type people by comparing their personalities to the types (that you don't even really know) of your friends.

if you're going to bother trying to type someone, do it by functions, and throw type descriptions out the window.
    Functional analysis? That's not my favorite method of typing, and I'm not alone. And yes you can type people by behavioral analysis and comparison. These people I speak of also tested as ISTJ.

I'd like to know how they come up with these type descriptions. Do they perform extensive testing and interview confirmed types? Is it an average? Or do the people writing them just assume that functions in a certain order will behave a certain way? And then people assume, "Well that guy in the next cubicle is an officious little troll, he must be an ISTJ."

Going by the descriptions if you're an INTP you're fucking Einstein.
    An INTJ is a visionary mastermind.
    An ISTP, while not described as glowingly as the INTs is good with machines, sports and still an interesting person.
    An ISTJ? You're dependable. Well golly gee, isn't that swell!

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    I'd like to know how they come up with these type descriptions. Do they perform extensive testing and interview confirmed types? Is it an average?
    God forbid I look it up, but I think that's the basic foundation of actual MBTI usage. Testing, study, comparison, etc.etc.etc.. As an aside, I think the biggest failure of MBTI statistics is that MBTI is used a lot in employment scenarios, thus people may tend to answer dishonestly, intentionally or not.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Default Notes

Read this book if you haven't: Amazon.com: Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence: David Keirsey: Books

People are usually the type they want to be. If you don't want to be ISTJ, you're probably not.

Since writers of 16-type literature tend to be INTP and INFP, it would tend to make the most sense to us overall. It's not something everyone needs to follow.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    ISTJ's have an "internal guidebook" of sorts that is composed of things that they've decided to focus on throughout their life. A lot of SJ's focus on happy childhood memories, so that is why they talk about the good ole' days, and they don't want things to change so much. If you've focused on things different from the norm then your "internal guidebook" could be pretty different from most SJ's.

Overall most of the descriptions for sensors aren't always accurate particularly if the person is fairly intelligent. For example an intelligent ISTP is more likely to be an engineer than a mechanic, even though most ISTP descriptions make them seem more like a mechanic. Most likely you are a bright ISTJ, and that is why you don't relate to the standard ISTJ descriptions. If you are more interested in proven facts rather than possibilities, and if you have a keen sense toward details that you focus on, then you are probably an ISTJ (or maybe an ESTJ, but I'll assume you've figured out the E/I dimension).
    Kinda sad the way an intelligent sensor gets to occupy the neither region between S and N. But this has been discussed, digested, and defecated so I won't go into that.

I think it's good when people question whether they're S or N because that forces you to understand the functions better and usually the difference between sensing and intuiting is the hardest to tell. Once I got a good understanding of what Se, Si, Ne, and Ni was everything got mashed together and I had to look a little harder in order to find a meaningful difference. If it helps, most SJs I know don't fit the typical SJ profile very well either.

If you're an NT you'd prefer this:
    Attention to concepts, meanings, interrelationships, and probable or possible futures with a focus on the principles and criteria involved. An abstract, problem-solving approach.

If you're an ST you'd prefer this:
    Attention to the tangible realities based on current and past experiences with a focus on “objective” facts, criteria, or principles. A just-the-facts approach.

Source

ISTJ Profile
    If you ignore all the duty-bound parts, do you think it fits?

INTJ Profile
    Are the autonomy seeking parts of the INTJ description what you identify with most?

Also you're more than likely to have come into contact with more ISTJs than INTJs. Some times it helps to identify other people that you think might share your type and figure out how similar/dissimilar you are to them.

I'm not going to say what type you are because honestly I don't know. And if you're on the border between S and N I think that's a pretty good place to be because you can do both.